ZBrushCentral

TIP:Use Only Zbrush and DOS to make Custom Icons.

TIP: This Tutorial is a quick way to save a bitmap from Zbrush and turn it into an Icon. It will be a windows XP Icon file so you can assign it to any shortcut, forlder, or program that you want :sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1: Now you can use Zbrush to make your windows look Sexy!!!

Hi all!

For all you that know how to change the file extension on a file, need to go no furtherā€¦

TO make Icons with Zbrush, all you have to do is change the .BMP file extension to .ICO (ICON).

For the Novice, this will be some fun! I made quick diagramā€¦ it is quite simple.
FIrst we need to locate your command prompt shortcut.

Press the windows start button and select Search for files or folders.

[ZBRUSH-icontutorial2.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(ā€˜993ā€™,ā€˜Zbrush-Icontutorial.jpgā€™,1,0))

Thats It!

Just make your Icon in Zbrush, Export it, jump into dos, rename it!

You can tweak windows to let you view and change your file extensionsā€¦ without going into DOS

I suggest NOT to do thisā€¦ you will only need to do this once in a blue moonā€¦ windows will make you type file extensions for every file you save if you change this.

Anyways! Hope this helps

Have fun!

Attachments

Zbrush-Icontutorial.jpg

BTW!

Windows XP suports masking. so you can make transparent parts on your Icon.

I am not sure how to do this without help of an Icon editorā€¦
Here is a very good free one!
http://www.coffeecup.com/freestuff/

I have been useing it for about a week now, and it is quite niceā€¦

just load your bitmap ,jpeg, or icon, and you will be allowed to choose a color for the masking.

Possible Icon sizes for Win XP is 16X16 32X32 64X64 48X48 and 96X96

I have No idea how to use the Big Icons, I think you may need microsoft plus or special software for this.

anywaysā€¦ Have fun Customizing your desktop, and file sysytem :sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Here is a better tool that is free alsoā€¦ easy to take your Zbrush made Icons and add transparency to themā€¦ bigger Icon size also , this new package supports up to 64X64 plus has a way to make cursors and simple 1bit patterns (for anoying wallpaper that usualy gives people headaches)

http://www.axiomx.com/PixelToolbox/index.htm

it has some fun features and drawing tools, and filtersā€¦ main thing is that it makes transparent backgroundsā€¦ also makes custom ā€œHot spotsā€ for Very custom cursorsā€¦

and the coolest feature, it allows imports and exports Via clip boardā€¦ this is cool if you want to use PSP or photoshop to touch up things.

Z brush makes some very nice low resolution stuffā€¦ I am getting some great results :D:+1: