ZBrushCentral

How to use Live Boolean and zremesher for hard surface modelling

Hi everybody,
I was trying to practice with live Boolean, but I can t figure an efficient workflow to keep my model in a reasonable low poly state, allowing to smooth it after, when using live Boolean.
Somebody have some tricks that can help to use it and have a nice topology after ? maybe using zremesher in some way?
Thanks.

Booleans, as with dynamesh booleans, lend themselves to a high poly workflow more than a low poly one. Generally speaking, once you’re remeshing low poly geo in any way, you’ve transitioned to a high poly process.

Otherwise you will have a lot of cleanup and creasing to do after generating a Umesh, which means you need to keep your geometry as low as possible, stitch together points and edges where possible, and manually crease the relevant edges at the intersection to keep them crisp when subdividing. This will be more work than is practical in most situations.

Easier by far to simply make certain your shape is sufficiently smoothed prior to generating the Umesh, by activating dynamic subdivision along with DSDiv, or traditionally subdividing the target meshes.

At which point you work with it like any other dynameshed high poly mesh object–you’ll never get your perfect low poly geometry back without manual retopo, but you can recreate subdivision levels with zremesher and projection. You must therefore establish discipline, and get what you need to during the low poly phase, before cutting the geometry up with booleans.