Super Moderator Follow User Gallery

Default ZBrush 4R8 Beta Testing Gallery

Even before the first reveal of ZBrush 4R8 at last year's ZBrush Summit, the beta testing team was already hard at work putting the new features through their paces. Not only did they seek to find and report any issues, they also provided constant feedback for how to refine the features for versatility and ease of use.

In a way, the process has been a kind of torture for them -- they have wanted so very badly to spill the beans to you! Now that ZBrush 4R8 has actually been released, we're giving them that opportunity.

In this thread, many of the beta testers have collected some of their favorite images created while beta testing the new version. We all hope that you will be able to use the artwork as inspiration for your own projects. At the same time, many have provided insights into the new features as well as some very useful tips and tricks.

We hope that you will reply to the thread to share your appreciation with the team. It's been a long time coming, but a job very well done!

Cheers,
    The Pixologic Team

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Since Zbrush 4R8 is now released I can finally share some of the models I have been creating with the new update.

Out of all the excellent additions in the release the Live Boolean system is by far my favorite. Being able to conceptualize ideas and designs in a non-destructive manner using positive and negative space has been really freeing.

For the first model here I have a conceptual space ship, which is the largest of the projects I tackled using 4R8. I created this model as an homage to Paul Pepera. I never got to meet Paul Pepera but I always greatly admired his work and was shocked when I heard he had passed away. I wanted to create a sort of tribute piece in honor of him for the inspiration and motivation his artwork provided me over the years.

The model was created with about 90% ZModeler, Dynamic Subdivisions, and Live Booleans. The cloth elements were placed and modified using the Bend Curve Deformer. With these new systems I never felt trapped by a design; if I wanted a hole in a certain spot it could be generated exactly where I wanted it without needing to think about how I was going to model the topology to get it to be correct.

If you are unfamiliar with Paul Pepera, images of his work can be found here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/paulpepera

Rest in Peace, Paul Pepera.

This next model also has some sentimental value and is based on the Canon AE-1. That was the first SLR camera I ever owned and was passed down from my father. This old camera was one of my gateways into photography, just as ZBrush was my gateway into digital sculpting.

There was a lot of usage of the Live Boolean system for creating all the details. A lot of the parts took seconds to create by thinking simply about the negative spaces. The Gizmo3D with the Transpose All Selected SubTool option also saved a ton of time when scaling and deforming multiple parts to fix proportional issues.

This was another fun one using the Live Boolean system. I had created the Duplo style blocks early on when testing the Live Boolean system. It was surprisingly painless to create the complex shapes and drafting. Then in mere seconds I could convert the mesh to true geometry. After I had the Duplo block created I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it.

I started messing with some car designs and decided to shrink them down to toy size. The cars are based on designs of Matchbox and Hotwheels cars I had growing up. The blocks also were all created with the Live Boolean system and then quickly mapped to generate material passes for KeyShot.

Here is another model based on a concept from Armored Core. For the materials, I processed the Live Booleans into true geometry then converted the mesh back to a DynaMesh and Projected the Details back. From here I duplicated the mesh multiple times and generated a bunch of texture masks. I then sent these masks to KeyShot and used their material system to blend them all together to achieve the final look I wanted.

Here is a short tutorial on the process used after I created the True Geometry from the Live Booleans:

For these models I was exploring quick ways to detail out sculptural models.

Because Live Booleans work with any of the existing features in ZBrush I was able to quickly concept the silhouette for each of these models with multiple DynaMesh SubTools. Now instead of dividing these tools up to a crazy amount of polygons to sculpt in seam lines and other details, I ended up using Insert Mesh brushes with the Live Booleans.

By simply creating a dummy SubTool and setting it to Subtractive mode I could then add IMM parts to the mesh and they would all subtract. This functionality is really amazing as a way to add detail to your sculpt in seconds. The non-destructive aspect was great for concepting these as well. If at any point you decide that you don't like a shape you added, you can simply delete that IMM part and it's gone.

For the next example I used the processes described above and a lot of ArrayMesh. I ended up using ArrayMesh quite a bit for revolving parts around a set axis. With the Live Booleans I could take any of these ArrayMesh SubTools and set them to negative, generating holes or even gears in seconds.

Finally, I found that the Live Boolean system was excellent for 3D Printing and Mold Making.

I could take a DynaMesh model and simply add a Subtractive joint SubTool and see it update in real-time. Even while the Live Boolean system is active you can continue to sculpt your mesh and make changes. This process made it very easy to create joints for toys. Once I was happy with the preview, pressing the Make Boolean Mesh button would generate the true geometry result which could be sent to 3D Print.

Here is an example .ZTL file of the hinge joint used in the images above (both with pin and without pin).

LiveBoolean_JointExample.zip

For making Matrix Molds to cast 3D Printed parts, the Live Boolean system was again invaluable. With the non-destructive process I could modify the mold on the fly and tailor it to exactly what I wanted without needing to waste any real-world materials. I then printed the molds in both FDM on a Makerbot and Resin on a Form2. This allowed me to combine the two printing methods, using the Makerbot for the shell and the Form2 parts for the negative detailed areas. Combined, this generated the final mold result.

-Joseph

Member Follow User Gallery

Default P-o Levesque Beta Testing

Here is the project I did for the beta testing. It is a bass guitar player.
    Render was done in Keyshot with the help of the Bridge and composited in Photoshop.

The Model was created 100% in ZBrush. I Mainly used the ZModeler, Boolean System and all the new Gizmo features which are all awesome by the way

Thks to Pixologic and all the Beta Tester!

A little brakedown of the parts that was done with the help of the new Boolean features.
    Strongly influence by Vang Cki and Furio mainly and all the other beta testers, I designed some IMM brushes and used them as subtraction details with the Boolean system.

Here is a little trick I used to separate the detail into polygroups using the Decimate Plugin. This way I was able to keep my polygroups after the Decimation.
    1. I created one polygroup by subtool (ctrl-w on all visible subtool.)
    2. Make Union Mesh with SDIV on
    3. Split the new Tool by polygroups
    4. create a planar UV Mapping on each separated Subtools
    5. Merge visible subtool with UV on
    6. Merge vertices with 1 as maximum distance
    7. Decimate using UVs
    8. Autogroup the polygroup based on UVs.

I also create some VDM Brushes. On was created based on a cloth sim I did on a cube. Then I projected the sim onto a plane to create the VDM Brush
    The other was a wire to tear off the pants.

This is the evolution of the project and the conception phase.

The full Model turn around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GpBNd2uB5U

New Member Follow User Gallery

Live booleans used to create broken boundaries for sculpting anatomy. for this study, I just wanted to focus on the torso without getting distracted by the other parts of the anatomy. By creating a shell around the torso, giving it a noisy texture, and positioning it to cut off at certain places, I was able to create an artistic broken effect while working. I used the live boolean "Intersect" mode.

Default Stephen Anderson - Astro Fish

Howdy ya'all.

Here is a piece I worked on as part of the BETA testing.

It was a crazy cool experience to be able to test things like the live boolean feature (which was easily my favorite function in the new ZBrush 4R8). I love the flexibility it offers.
    Here are a couple of images of what it looked like before and after the boolean pass.

It was a privilege to get to participate in the beta testing. It's a fantastic program and I look forward to implementing it into my daily practices.

Thank you Pixologic.
    ---------------
    Character Artist @ WB Games
    PORTFOLIO

I love all new features that come with 4R8 but my best three are of course interactive booleans, modifiers and gizmo. Ability to use simple 3d shapes, add, subtract or intersect them via booleans and then dynamesh and polish whole and see how your initial shape comes to live is a blast! To me it is an extremely organic approach to hard surface modeling and that's why I love it so much!

It's always a great experience to be a part of the ZBrush beta testing crew, and this time it was especially rewarding, since there was a lot of hard surface modeling features that was added.

I'm a big fan of the live boolean system, since it's really responsive and easy to use. It will defenitely be something I will keep using when doing hard surface models.

The final render was done in blender (cycles)

Here are some breakdown images

Pre boolean with polygroups

Post boolean with polygroups

Post boolean no polygroups

Full character clay

In order to make some boolean line cuts in the mesh I used the curve tube brush with "cont Z" on in the picker palette. You can of course also use the curve tube snap brush just as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boolean line cuts workflow.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	553394  

Default cutting for 3D printing with booleans

Here's a simple set of steps that I've been using to cut up models for 3D printing when the model is too big for a single print volume.
    First, here's what the whole model looks like:

Second, I create some simple planes that intersect the model where I want the cuts to be:

third, I add keying to the planes so that the fit will be more secure. I just simply used the move brush while holding ALT to push and pull bumps:

Next, Booleans typically need a volume to work with, so a simple plane won't work. So I add a tiny amount of thickness to the planes by extruding a miniscule amount. After that, I set up the planes to subtract and the mice to be a start group. I then run "Make Boolean Mesh" and switch to the new tool that is created. Finally, I split to parts so that each cut piece is its own subtool. For easy visualization, I moved the pieces around to see how the cuts look:

From here, you could hollow the pieces out if you wanted. The great thing about this is that if you decide to cut up your models further, you go back to the original and create more planes rather than the old way which created forked files to manage. The process is more procedural and less destructive.

Default Mariano Steiner - Beta tests

Here are some of the tests i made on this Beta.
    This R-Boy is based on a concept by Rael Lyra, who also supported me a lot on the development of the image.

I'm not much of a Hard-Surface guy so i tried to apply some of the new features to my day-to-day use.
    Usefull way to make holes and cuts in meshes.

Simple Keycut for 3Dprinting.

3Dvector displacement brush to make damage and rips fun.

So many amazing works developed during this Beta! It's an honor to be a small part of the team
    Thanks Pixologic!
    3D character artist / Digital Sculptor

Portfolio

http://marianosteiner.com
    Artstation
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/marianosteiner
    Email
    marianosteiner@gmail.com

Default Erin Zaneski's Beta Experiments

Hey everybody! I'm super excited to finally share my ZBrush 4R8 Beta experience with you all. I feel privileged and grateful to be included in a group of such highly talented artists, playing with the cutting-edge of digital sculpting technology.

I decided to ease myself into the new features of 4R8, first making a quick warm-up sketch with the new Streaks modifier for alphas. It's an excellent way to quickly add a traditional touch to your sculpts, without taking the time to make an entirely new alpha. The brushstroke-like texture that you see on the surface here was created solely by the Streaks modifier on a plain alpha.

To me, the most impressive and powerful new tools in 4R8 are absolutely the Live Boolean system, the Gizmo 3D,and the Vector Displacement Mesh brush. At first glance, these tools together seemed like they were perfectly designed just for creating hard-surfaced sculpts rapidly and non-destructively. However, I soon realized that the Live Boolean system is also a game-changer for creating organic shapes and character art as well. I decided to prove how powerful the Boolean system can be, not only for hard-surface sculpting and product design, but also for ZBrush users who primarily work with organic subjects, by creating a series of "scientific" illustrations. ZBrush is already the preferred tool for scientific illustrators and researchers who need to clean up and present 3-D data from CAT scans or photogrammetry of biological specimens such as fossils, tissues, organs, and bodies of animals and plants. It takes little effort to imagine how the ability to non-destructively sculpt with Booleans will revolutionize the way scientific illustrators use Zbrush to reconstruct the INSIDES of specimens. Now, as researchers make new discoveries about their subjects, illustrators can instantly adjust the internal structures of their 3-D fossil reconstructions, medical models, etc.

My end goal was to come up with a set of nice renders that mimic classic scientific illustrations. For my proof-of-concept of how powerful 4R8 will be for scientific illustrators, I chose a pretty ordinary subject, but just imagine how this process could be applied to the next great dinosaur fossil find. :) I have the skull of a juvenile male Columbian black-tailed deer that I dissected and cleaned up myself a while ago, and I began my process of re-constructing as accurately as possible within ZBrush by taking photogrammetry of it. I then made a rough 3-D reconstruction through AgiSoft PhotoScan, imported the raw scan data into Zbrush, and sculpted to refine the data into a more accurate representation of my specimen.

The skull set up for 3-D scanning with photographs:

The raw photogrammetric scan data:

After cleaning up the scan data in ZBrush:

Here, I now had a nice sculpt of the skull, but it was only a solid mesh with superficial details. Not very useful to scientific research! A model with the internal sinuses, braincase, and cranial sutures carved out would be far more valuable from a scientific or medical perspective. Before the introduction of the Live Boolean system in 4R8, it was much, much more difficult to remove negative spaces from inside a sculpt. I cannot overstate how powerful the Live Boolean Preview is; to be able to add and remove both positive and negative shapes on the fly, without worrying about creating clean topology, is a massive time-saver while developing a concept in 3-D. And then, to test out if my negative Boolean shapes were successfully creating the cuts and internal spaces that I needed, I simply had to click Make Union Mesh, and within seconds, ZBrush calculated the new model. This allowed me to rapidly iterate and make adjustments until I had perfected the paper-thin spaces in between the delicate bones.

In keeping with my goal of making my illustrations as scientifically accurate as possible, I collected as much reference as I could find for the internal structures of the skull. I found a series of CT scan images of the skull of a very similar species that I used to create a rough starting point for the subtractive Boolean shapes, then sculpted them to more accurately represent my actual specimen. I imported each cross-sectional CT scan image into ZBrush as a texture on a subdivided plane, then used the texture to Mask by Intensity, grouped the mask, and used PanelLoops to very quickly give a little bit of volume to each slice of the CT scan:

The wonderful new Gizmo 3D allowed me to easily scale and reposition ALL of these separate slices, while keeping them as separate subtools. I need to mention again how much I love the Gizmo 3D. :) It is a feature that I had been hoping to see in ZBrush for a long time now, and I am now constantly using it as I sculpt. Gizmo 3D makes it super easy to move and transform subtools in a manner that feels more familiar than the Transpose Line to artists who also enjoy working with traditional modelling software. I'm sure that the inclusion of the Gizmo 3D will make ZBrush 4R8 even more intuitive and accessible for new users to jump into and begin creating amazing art.

After using the Inflate deformer a little to make sure that all the slices were intersecting, then a quick Dynamesh, those 2-D CT scan images were reconstructed back into a 3-D model:

And just by flipping the normals, I got this preliminary braincase shape to use as a subtractive Boolean inside my skull! It was hugely encouraging to see that the volume matches up pretty nicely with the actual shape of a deer's brain:

Erin Zaneski
    ArtStation: Portfolio
    3-D Character Artist

Default Erin Zaneski's Beta Experiments

Next, I refined those internal shapes and sculpted more negative Booleans to cut away the super-thin fissures in between each cranial bone. Here is an explanation of how I used the new Live Boolean system to craft my final mesh:

And at last, these are my final illustrations, rendered to imitate the beautiful drawings of classical scientific illustrators. I'm quite happy with how these turned out, and I hope that you all also enjoy! :) These were so much fun to create with the Live Boolean system. It was a really interesting brain exercise to think about carving out the negative spaces, especially when it came to creating the super fine, overlapping separations between the interlocking cranial bones.

Simply passing a negative Boolean cube through the entire mesh enabled me to render interesting cross-sectional, cutaway views of the sort that are often found in research papers and medical books.

This approach to building a detailed skull model would not have been possible in earlier versions of ZBrush, nor with any other software that I know of. Thank you Pixologic, for including me in the beta, and for continuing to improve the best sculpting tool out there!

And here are a couple cross-sectional gifs to really show the power of the Live Booleans!

Erin Zaneski
    ArtStation: Portfolio
    3-D Character Artist

I was very happy to be a part of the beta. I wish I had done more to show off what I was doing, but I loved the interactive boolean system, the gizmos, and the deformers. Thanks, Pixologic!

This is a sort of military rover I was imagining on some sort of Mars like planet. It's completely built out of the new booleans.

I wanted to make a city. I built out a little kit and made some rooftop elements. I used the booleans extensively along with some nanomesh, lots of array mesh, and the text tools.

This one I was just having fun with the tools. I imagined this as some sort of nuclear cooling pool system.

Here's a grey version raw from the boolean system before I used dynamesh and polish to round the edges.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/dtschultz
    Senior Environment Artist - Red Storm Entertainment

Hi Guys!

It was pure pleasure and honor to test new zbrush and its features so i tried a little bit of everything. New features are amazing my favs (as u can see) are vdms Gizmo and Live boolans are totaly game changers for me.

If u guys would like to see some breakdowns pls let me know

Cheers
    Marcin Klicki

sculpt +arraymesh + insert meshes + live booleans + gizmo with deformerslive booleans + zremesh + sculpt
    arraymesh + insert meshes + live booleans + gizmo with deformers + bit of sculpt
    sculpt + vdms
    sculpt + vdms

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast