Member Follow User Gallery

Default Question about using refs for photorealistic sculpts

So I'm about to start a new sculpt with the goal of accurate likeness and have gathered lots of refs of this actor. One thing I'm wondering is how you take all of these different photos, each with a different viewing angle, focal length, facial expression, lighting condition, etc - and extract one sculpt from all of that information?

Do you choose one ref pic as the "main" ref, and then use the others to fill in the gaps (anatomical info that the main ref doesn't supply)?

Or is it a more chaotic process, where you keep bouncing back and forth between all of the ref pics, while relying heavily on knowledge of facial anatomy?

I hope this was clear, as you can probably tell I'm a little confused. If anyone has some additional tips/tricks I'd love to hear them!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

It's going to be different for everyone based on their preferences. If you've got extensive, high quality reference shot from different angles, some people will set up a backdrop spread to sculpt against to try and get the proportions right. That's tough to get for celebrity subjects though, and any given photograph can be visually misleading. Ultimately it's going to come down to your artistic skill and ability to "eyeball" something.
    -Scott
    Formerly Known As Bingo Jackson