ZBrushCentral

Overwatch Characters Art Dump

header.png

Hi, my name is Renaud Galand and I’m the lead character artist on Overwatch here at Blizzard Entertainment. It’s my immense pleasure to introduce you to the Overwatch character team and share with you some of the high-poly work that’s helped support the final assets you see in the game as well as in some of our animated shorts. Overwatch has been a labor of love and passion since day one, so it is very exciting for us to finally be able to show some of this content.

If you’re not familiar with Overwatch, it’s a highly-stylized team-based shooter set in the near future. The game features objective-based maps based on real locations across the globe as well as a diverse cast of 23 heroes (and counting!)—each with their own unique arsenal of weapons and abilities. You can check playoverwatch.com to learn more, or watch one of our gameplay trailers to see everything in action.

https://youtu.be/UEYp1RTvllM

Zbrush has been a big part of our character creation pipeline since the very beginning, filling different roles such as helping us quickly concept, sculpt, and blockout ideas in 3D and creating our final high-poly assets. Keyshot was also used to render all the images.

All the work you’re about to see was created by the Overwatch character team including Hai Phan, Matt Taylor, Kyle Rau, Niles Doubleday, Hong Chan Lim, Leticia Gillett, Donald Phan and myself (Renaud Galand).

Please note that this is the first post of many and our team will be adding more content as we have them rendered and ready to be shared :slight_smile:

And lastly, these characters wouldn’t be what they are without the help of a lot of people outside of the character modeling team and I’d like to give a big shout-out to everybody in our concept, tech art, animation, audio, story and game design departments for helping us on a daily basis to make these characters as iconic and awesome as possible.

We all hope you’ll like it ! :slight_smile:

01.Tracer.jpg02.Tracer Gun.jpg08.Mei.jpg06.Symettra.jpg04.Junkrat.jpg09.Zarya.jpg07.Torbjorn.jpg05.RoadHog.jpg03.WidowMaker.jpg

© 2016 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved.

-R

Attachments

01.Tracer.jpg

02.Tracer Gun.jpg

03.WidowMaker.jpg

04.Junkrat.jpg

05.RoadHog.jpg

06.Symettra.jpg

07.Torbjorn.jpg

08.Mei.jpg

09.Zarya.jpg

1 Like

10.Zenyatta.jpg11.Ganymede.jpg12.Reinhardt_Head.jpg13.young_ana_head.jpg14.Young_Genji_head.jpg15.Genji_Bedouin.jpg16.WidowMaker_Comtesse.jpg17.Reaper_Pumpkin.jpg18.WidowMaker_Swan.jpg

Attachments

10.Zenyatta.jpg

11.Ganymede.jpg

12.Reinhardt_Head.jpg

13.young_ana_head.jpg

14.Young_Genji_head.jpg

15.Genji_Bedouin.jpg

16.WidowMaker_Comtesse.jpg

17.Reaper_Pumpkin.jpg

18.WidowMaker_Swan.jpg

01.Reaper.jpg02.Pharah.jpg03.Hanzo.jpg04.McCree.jpg05.Mercy.jpg06.Dva_pilot.jpg07.Soldier_76.jpg

Attachments

01.Reaper.jpg

02.Pharah.jpg

03.Hanzo.jpg

04.McCree.jpg

05.Mercy.jpg

06.Dva_pilot.jpg

07.Soldier_76.jpg

01.Ana_base_gun.jpg02.Ana_wasteland_gun.jpg03.Pharah_SecurityChief_Weapon.jpg04.Reinhardt_Bald_Hammer.jpg05.Reinhardt_Blck_Axe.jpgPharah_Mechaqueen.jpg

Attachments

01.Ana_base_gun.jpg

02.Ana_wasteland_gun.jpg

03.Pharah_SecurityChief_Weapon.jpg

04.Reinhardt_Bald_Hammer.jpg

05.Reinhardt_Blck_Axe.jpg

Pharah_Mechaqueen.jpg

Attachments

01.Winston.jpg02.Ana.jpg03.Zarya_gun.jpg04.Dva_Mech_Junker.jpg05.Reinhardt_Balderich.jpg06.Zarya_Siberian.jpg07.Reaper_Mariachi.jpg

Attachments

01.Winston.jpg

02.Ana.jpg

03.Zarya_gun.jpg

04.Dva_Mech_Junker.jpg

05.Reinhardt_Balderich.jpg

06.Zarya_Siberian.jpg

07.Reaper_Mariachi.jpg

01.S76_rifle.jpg02.Sombra_gun.jpg03.Winston_undersea.jpg04.Thunderbird Pharah Gun.jpg05.Reaper_Nevermore_Gun.jpg06.Reaper_pumpkin_shotgun.jpg07.Sombra_cyberspace_gun.jpg

Attachments

01.S76_rifle.jpg

02.Sombra_gun.jpg

03.Winston_undersea.jpg

04.Thunderbird Pharah Gun.jpg

05.Reaper_Nevermore_Gun.jpg

06.Reaper_pumpkin_shotgun.jpg

07.Sombra_cyberspace_gun.jpg

01.Sombra.jpg02.Sombra_replicant.jpg03.bastion_steambot.jpg04.Thunderbird_Pharah.jpg05.Mei_firefighter.jpg06.genji_oni.jpg07.Winston_wukong_canon.jpg08.Reinhardt_lionhardt.jpg

Attachments

01.Sombra.jpg

02.Sombra_replicant.jpg

03.bastion_steambot.jpg

04.Thunderbird_Pharah.jpg

05.Mei_firefighter.jpg

06.genji_oni.jpg

07.Winston_wukong_canon.jpg

08.Reinhardt_lionhardt.jpg

02.DVA_junker.jpg05.Mei_Er Chang.jpg03.Lucio_Hockey.jpg01.Ana_Wasteland.jpg04.Sombra_muertos.jpg

Attachments

01.Ana_Wasteland.jpg

02.DVA_junker.jpg

03.Lucio_Hockey.jpg

04.Sombra_muertos.jpg

05.Mei_Er Chang.jpg

01.Witch Mercy.jpg02.ana_captain.jpg

Attachments

01.Witch Mercy.jpg

02.ana_captain.jpg

2 Likes

Amazing work! It’s so nice to see the sculpts of all these heroes after playing the game for so long.

1 Like

Sooo Impressive and inspiring! Love all these character designs! Thanks for sharing all these!!!

-Joseph

Amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing. So great to see all of the characters here.

Stunning work! Thank you for sharing!

wow … jawdropping work !

Been waiting for this a long time ! Thanks so much for sharing these. The team’s commitment speaks of itself :slight_smile:

Hi Renaud.

Your team’s work is absolutely stunning, and you guys in Blizzard are a huge inspiration for me and many others.

Ever since I started uni for a 3D Video Game Art degree I’ve always thought that I would love to get to work in Blizzard at some point of my life. Now my uni days are over; and I know it might be hard, or far away, but it’s something that I would love to achieve someday. That is all thanks to the hard work and love that people like you put in what you do, for the gamers like us that receive it with a lot of passion. Every single detail is amazing, and I watch it with a bittersweet feeling (as in ‘I absolutely love it but I feel it’s a far away dream for me’ kind of thing). But I hope this feeling will make me stronger and work even harder to get there one day.

I just wanted to say that all of you deserve to be where you are, and that your games, worldwide known, are absolutely beautiful thanks to you.

Thank you so much for sharing this!

Killer work, thanks so much for sharing =)

Amazing work of so many great artist, It would be really nice if any could make an overview of the workflow to create these character, like modeling, detailing and texturing.

Blizzard always inspiring. Truly amazing work.