ZBrushCentral

Anatomy Sketchbook

Hey guys,
i have a personal challange. I want to learn more about anatomy. So i decide to sculpt every day a part of the human anatomy. At the moment i try to understand the female torso.
Critiques and comments are desirable!
Hope you like my work :slight_smile:

Attachments

Femlae_Torso_censored.jpg

Hand_Sculpting.jpg

Female_Torso_lean_left_02_04.jpg

Female_Torso_lean_left_02_censored.jpg

Female_Torso_lean_left_02_03.jpg

Congrats for taking on the arduous task of really learning anatomy - it’s well worth the journey!

You’re off to a pretty good start so far, honestly.

Torso: this is really quite good. The only areas I would work on are the overly sagging oblique muscles on the hips - on females it’s a very gentle flow The only two other spots that are slightly off are the muscles into the scapula (it looks largely flat, but there’s a LOT of muscles flowing from that one bone), and the but looks a bit too masculine (because the connection with the femur is a little to squared off). Also, maybe try giving some subtle asymmetry between the left and right sides of the body. Just shifting down to your lowest subdivision level and using the Move or Move Topology brush and slightly nudging some areas around is usually enough. Just remember that a person using their right arm more than their left will likely have larger muscles on the right side. Same thing will go for pretty much all muscles - left and right sides will get used differently and therefore have slightly different shapes. But keep it subtle. Especially on female figures.

Fingers: Fingers are tough. Yours look a little boxy at the tips. Trust me- these are probably one of the hardest parts of the body to really do well. Just learn the forms per finger and figure out how they deform as they’re bent. That area just takes practice.

Side view: This is surprisingly well done. You did a really good job handling the lifting of the breast while the arm lifts. Just keep in mind that when an arm lifts, it pulls and stretchs the skin along with it, so it would smooth out the oblique/hip line that is so prominent there, along with stretching out the oblique itself, making it not as thick/bulky.

Front and rear view, arm stretched: Pretty solid, again. Soften the trapezius/scapula area on the character-left side of the body. There should be no depth there when the arm is down at your side because the trapezius muscles actually flow into and over the scapula bone, but when the arm is lifted, it bulges because the muscles is tensing up to lift the arm. The scapula looks a little squared off too, on the right side. Again, pay attention to where the skin is stretching and muscles are flattening and where other muscles are squashing/bulging.

Back view, arm stretched: Pretty good, but the lattisimus dorsi muscles are much softer than what you have (the big batwing muscle that covers most of the lower back). It’s a huge muscle and by the time it gets to the side of the body, it’s really mostly just flattened fascia tissue. Also, it connects to the entire illiac crest (upper rear hip bone), not the center of the back. Only other notes are the same as the front view.

Really this is all pretty solid work for just learning. Sculpting in how the body moves is where the magic comes out, but you have to know where the muscles go first, and then where the body fat is located, and then know that there’s skin covering that. By the time you get to the skin it’s all pretty subtle. (Unless you’re sculpting a body builder, who has nearly zero body fat and pronounced muscles.)

Good work and keep it up! I’m interested to see what else you post!

Wow your feedback is huge!
Thank you for the time to explain all that stuff! I really appreciate it!
I will try to upload new stuff tomorrow!
You give me the right stimulus to work harder on my anatomy skills :slight_smile:

Ok so here is my first full body test. I think the anatomy has some big issues but i will try to fix them tomorrow :slight_smile:

All in all, I would say this is a really good sculpt! The skull head is a little creepy (but really funny) lol

I would suggest softening the abs a little bit. Women have more fat (naturally) on their stomach than men do, so the spaces between muscles aren’t nearly as defined. Pretty much all features on females tend to be on the softer side.

Other than that, I have no real comments. You did a great job softening the hip/oblique area and it looks a lot more natural now. The angle of the lower portion of the buttocks flows into the rear of the leg much better now also.

I would make the suggestion that if you’re wanting to learn anatomy really well, do models of an “average” weight woman/man, and then do a very skinny (nearly anorexic) version to pay attention to what happens when the body deteriorates), and then do a very heavyset version (to learn where the fat layers accumulate and how everything attaches to the skeletal frame). You’d be surprised to find out how different men and women’s anatomy really is and it’ll teach you the connection points that never change and give you a really good basis for areas of the body that you must nail before you ever even start your sculpt.

Great job on this though! Keep up the anatomy studies and keep posting more stuff!

Hi phorne :slight_smile:
yeah you are right. Maybe my next model should be a bit more fat :smiley:
Thank you for your feedback.
This weekend i was working on this character. Hopefully i will finish this project.
Now i have to learn how i sculpt hair and cloth :confused:
Anatomy is a really funny project. So many to learn and to think about the muscels how they work… our boy is really impressive xD

I did last night a quicktorso study of an old man.
Hope you all like it :slight_smile:
You can check my progress in a gif here

ALterMannTorso.13.jpg

Pose study :slight_smile:
still wip

Unbenannt2.JPG

quick update :smiley:

Still work in progress but i want to share it with you guys. Need some adjustments and breaking the symmetry

It’s done :slight_smile:
Hope you like it
04_Final_02.jpg
05_01.jpg
10.jpg
06_02.jpg
07_01.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg

Nice to see I’m not the only one practicing Posing.

lol night noodle :smiley:

Unbenannt.JPG

new thing
trying to learn more about the head anatomy

render10.jpg
render08.jpg
render12.jpg