Member Follow User Gallery

Default Anyone here trying to improve drawing skills?

How often do you draw? What do you draw? Do you find 2d skills help your digital sculpting?

Reason I'm asking is because many people recommended that I brush up on 2d as well as 3d. Thing is, there are only so many hours in a day and it takes just as much effort to improve drawing as it does to improve sculpting, so I just want to see how some of you balance 2d with 3d or if you don't even bother drawing at all.

New Member Follow User Gallery

I am. Trying to go thru the right process to have strong foundational skills and doing what is necessary to be proficient. I've seen the connection to 3D better from doing this. The drawing carries over into digital and then some of those principles carry into 3D modeling and Sculpting. Some of my fave designers stopped drawing on paper and are entirely digital. I am wondering if drawing on paper is more necessary but i wish to have both skills. So, its personal.

I feel like 2D and 3D both feed into each other. 2D improves my silhouette skills, and 3D seems to improve my spacial thinking skills. I tend to take a sketchbook around with me and sketch when I'm not at my PC, because sketching doesn't take too long. Remember, not every picture has to be super refined so it doesn't need to take ages

I would say that it helps in the long run as you can apply what you do in 2D to possible 3D works. For example, style, portrayal, and a good sense of how you want to take things to the next step. Usually, I draw in a cartoon and even comic book-like style, because it can be both serious and goofy. It helps when I am doing animations for expressions and portrayal, and even in sculpts for when I want to exaggerate on features.

At times, I don't have the time to do some drawings on paper. I often wish that I could just make sketches in a sketchbook when I can, but for now, I'm just trying to focus on other things. Hopefully in the future, I can work on some 2D drawings and combine them with 3D like some movies such as Moana or the Lego movies do. I'd say it helps you want to explore your own potential more.

This is the first time that I have seen concept and communication separated in a list of visual art skills like this. I think it is essential because I find myself trying to explain to coworkers and clients the differences and similarities between concept art and illustration. Breaking out those two principles will help me distinguish the two for myself, and help me explain in appropriately to others.

I found this tips and forwarded it to my cousin who loves drawing. She said it's helping her.

Default Anyone here trying to improve drawing skills?

I always try to develop my creativity in terms of drawing and sketching. A relative of mine is my motivation. She has a superb skill in this area.