ZBrushCentral

RECAP: ZBrush Summit 2016

Recap-Banner.jpg

Thank you to everyone who made this year’s ZBrush Summit such a terrific success!

14 Amazing Presentations by Prominent Studios and Artists. 6 Sold Out Onsite Workshops 24 Artists Competing in the Live Sculpt-Off 2 Big Product Announcements: [ZBrushCore](http://zbrushcore.com) and ZBrush 4R8 2nd Annual ZBrush Awards

The event was watched live from around the world with people from 196 countries tuning in!

You can watch the recordings of the feeds with these links:

Day One
Day 2, Part 1
Day 2, Part 2
Day 3
Sculpt-Off

In this thread there will be posts by artists who were involved in the presentations as well as videos showing the highlights from the various LiveStreams. Check back often to see what’s new. Or better yet, subscribe to the thread![/COLOR]

Peter Konig

Here are some frames from the Robot demo I did at the Summit:

Rough sketching, combining a few rough bot heads into one

Adding parts, still rough, smacking it all together…finding forms etc

bot04.jpg

cleaning up, still figuring out how it all goes together…

bot05.jpg

making a couple custom parts using Zmodeler

bot06.jpg

Kit bashing pre-made parts with the hand sculpted stuff

bot07.jpg

Bringing into Keyshot, rendering multiple material passes

bot08.jpg

Photoshop pass, stacking different material renders, starting to paint layers in
and out using layer masks

bot09.jpg

Erasing one material to reveal the one underneath

bot10.jpg

painting scratches, cleaning up details

RobotFinalComp02small.jpg

Final image, all tidied up.

Made this image in two evenings so maybe 8 or 9 hours
(once the initial head sketches where combined)

More to come…

I wanted to share my piece I did for the Zbrush Summit Sculpt Off 2016! It was definitely an intense time, and was very honored to place 2nd on the Organic side of the competition. Below is the final image we had to create in 3 hours, along with my process in preparing for the event. Thank you very much for looking, and any comments are always appreciated:)

Brett Briley
www.bbriley.com

Final Image in competition.

Concept for the competition.

UI setup for the competition.

Insect sheet for the competition.

Insect tube sheet for the competition.

Character Sculpt sheet for the competition.

Character Paint sheet for the competition.

Here’s another image I broke down at the Summit.

Super rough zbrush kitbash

Starting to edit the image, moving things around…

Blending in Photoshop, cutting and pasting to improve the design

Paint over continues, refining shapes…

Adding detail, refining more…

Painting in rim lights …

Background and finishing touches and ta-da!

Brett, you were robbed, btw.

1 Like

Hello!
I had the pleasure to participate at the Zbrush Live Sculpt-Off.
My computer did crash, but I had the chance to redo it with group 2.
Such a great experience and it was amazing to meet the artist that are my inspiration.

Here is the picture I submitted :
001-Final.jpg

And there the highpoly in Zbrush :

If you have any questions let me know!
Cheers
Lucas :slight_smile:

Here are some images of the work that I demonstrated for and worked side by side with the students of my workshop. First is the breakdown of an articulated action figure model (on one half).

1.jpg

Next is a Cthulhu bust sculpt that needs to be split up into parts in order to be manufactured.
2.jpg

Next is the model as we split it up in class into separate parts. I plan to go into more detail about this kind of stuff on Facebook via live videos and possibly even a Gumroad or Twitch type deal as time permits. Thanks!
3.jpg

Amazing work and talent in this thread and at the summit. Here is some of what we showed.

Big Bad Sentry Bot, This robot was designed as a type of boss encounter and was designed to be imposing and surprisingly nimble. He was also heavily armored and carries heavy weaponry, all of which can be modded and mixed and matched with parts from other robots using the powerful Automatron DLC Robot creator. Each Robot had a number of mods based around three themes, Standard issue Mods, Automaton Mods, and Rust Devil Mods. All of which were interchangeable.
SentryCompNew_zpsus3kojca.jpg
08_zpszh5kinsw.jpg

Rust Devil Mod Set Concept Art
untitled.364_zpsexpvhsiw.jpg

Mister Handy Butt Nekkid. We designed all the robots to have removable armor parts for both damage and to have variants throughout the world in different states of disrepair.
HandyPartsFront_zpslcfsgl6e.jpg
HandyFullFrontInnardsCropped_zpskzv41w7m.jpg

This is early Zbrush concept art of the Assaultron robot. The sketch was created painted and rendered in Zbrush to demonstrate the look and some functionality.
AssaultronConcept1_zpsohguvfhg.jpg

Here is a fully articulated 3D print prepared in Zbrush and printed on a B9 and and Ultimaker. The armor is also magnetically fastened and removable and the stand also lights up
IMG_7677_zpss6xidj0l.jpg
IMG_7678_zpsa5bmx9gp.jpg
IMG_7672_zpsvnn7a3aj.jpg
IMG_7668_zpsv1curydo.jpg

Enjoy!

Peter Konig’s Presentation was my most favorite because of how revealing it was to me. Trying to finish everything is Z is not always necessary. Especially if you know your way around Photoshop. Wonderful stuff!

~MAH~

It was again an honor, and super fun to participate in the ZBrush Summit Sculpt-Off again this year. Having to come up with a finished sculpt in 3 hours is an incredible challenge and a lot of pressure, and for me, it is a thrill because nothing compares to sitting with 11 artists who inspire you, and being part of a sculpt jam that produces beautiful results all around when the 3 hour buzzer rings.

The workflow I used for this was mostly the ZModeler brush, Insert Mesh brushes using various IMM kits including my own, and of course, Vitaly Bulgurov’s excellent ULTRABORG SubD kitbash kit : ULTRABORG
You can see the final image in the Sculpt Off results page : Sculpt Off ResultsHere are some post summit renders. My workflow is mostly modeling/sculpting/kitbashing in ZBrush and rendering in KeyShot. Having more render time makes a big difference !!!

VKK_06_small.jpg

VKK_02.jpg

VKK_07.jpg

VKK_05_small.jpg

VKK_01.jpg

Some folks asked if I share my UI, and I will figure out a way to do it on Gumroad or another venue. That said, please know that I change it all the time, and it evolves with my workflow, and an overhaul is overdue :roll_eyes:. Here is a snapshot of it.

VKK_UI.jpg

I want to thank the incredible Pixologic crew for putting on another amazing Summit and really look forward to next year.

Appreciate sharing the details guys. I enjoyed the Summit. Will also use Peter’s workflow to get going with my sketches and early concepts.
I assume its a popular quick way of getting the finished look. Its about speed and optimization and i need to learn that.

… I was wondering if anybody has any idea how the Square Enix crew made those carve/slash brushes?

When will Disney Animation show their models?

It was an honor to be part of the Sculpt-Off! I don’t have much for a “making-of” but here’s the final version of my guy. Since we were supposed to do Apocalyptic Cyberpunk, I tried to make a creature who was physically disfigured by a chemical release in the atmosphere but dressed in the local cyberpunk fashion. I’m a noob with Keyshot so this is all BPR render layers and Photoshop compositing. Thanks for lookin! - Jesse

1 Like

Dmitry Gaborak aka Neverwintered -Organic Sculpt Off

Here is the sculpt and Zbrush passes(all rendered in ZBrush with BPR) which I combined in Photoshop to get the final result.
Total for this piece I had about 8 passes: Depth, Cavity, Shadow, left light, right light, specular, reflection, main pass. For my opinion this is the most useful passes :slight_smile: especially if you short in time as often happen in real art production heh

Hey everyone. I first wanted to say thank you for the honor of being able to participate in this awesome event! I’m a super ZBrush fan, so this was amazing.

Below, I’ve included my work in progress sketches etc to show a bit of my design process figuring out what I wanted to do for the competition. I’ll also include my submission as well as a refinished version that I did after the competition because some glitches wouldn’t let me go into KeyShot for the competition, so without further ado, here ya go!

Sketches:
MechCreatureW.jpgFile Aug 16, 10 57 00 PM.pngFile Aug 22, 7 08 49 AM.jpgFile Aug 16, 4 11 15 PM copy.png

KidBot003.jpgFile Aug 12, 12 45 21 AM.pngFile Aug 16, 4 23 07 PM.png

So I started with a route that I felt would ultimately not represent me or my story-telling/character background, so I changed gears over time to start trying to reflect more of the background of the character/robot I was to produce. I researched the theme (taking the aspects of the theme quite literally) and researched post-apocalyptic and cyberpunk to know what they meant and what they entailed. May have been over-kill, but I wanted to do well :wink: So anyway, I discovered that cyberpunk was defined as high-tech low-life. Since the idea of the sculpt off was to have man and machine scavenging for common necessities, I decided to go the scavenger route. The last image shows some experimentation with adding a nap-sack–an idea of him exploring and finding parts he needs.

Below is what it started to develop into:

File Aug 25, 11 26 22 PM.png

So once I decided on a head design, I designed the rest of the body and did some test sculpts. Those will come in my next reply.

FINAL_02b.jpgFINAL_02.jpgFINAL_02c.jpgFINAL_02d.jpg

After I made a sculpt, if I liked it better than the current concept, I would render it out, and composite it on top of the concept to update to something more appealing. The image of just the head from the 3 views is the image I used in Spotlight during the competition for reference for my final piece.

The last two are the most recent pass I did before heading to the competition. I was contemplating a turtle-neck sweater sort of deal for him at one point, but decided against the super sweater look for the final piece (though I did retain some of that texture for the final piece :wink: )

FINAL_02d.jpg05_Whatever.jpg

I ran into some technical difficulties during the contest that killed me time-wise to some extent. I would have loved to have been able to do a few other things to this, but this is where it ended up in the time given me to work. Just a bit on the adventure, I got in to find that the default keyboard shortcuts had been deleted and some of my major hotkeys had been changed, so Joseph Drust came over to help me troubleshoot that and taught me how to manually set a hotkey. Felt like a live session of #AskZBrush lol. After that, there were some troubles with my Spotlight hotkeys and I never got that fully resolved, so I just made do the best I could. After that, Dynamic subdivision somehow got turned on for all of my pieces. I don’t know how, but it super slowed down my computer. It was kind of like trying to work on my MacBook. Anyway, it wouldn’t let me sculpt my wear and tear details, so I got fed up and DynaMeshed pieces of it. That cleared that right up. lol. My mesh got pretty heavy (due to noise and the still mysterious dynamic subdivision–if I had known what was going on, I could’ve saved myself a butt-load of time. lol), and it wouldn’t go into KeyShot. That was the most frustrating part to me because I was really looking forward to creating material and color separation to make my piece stand out, but nope. Didn’t happen . . . bummer. Oh well. I’ll post the refinished piece next.