ZBrushCentral

Recent Toy Work - Fisher-Price

Hi Everyone,

My name is Matt Flesher and I am a sculptor at Fisher-Price. I’ve posted here a few times before, but it has definitely been a while.:wink: So to remedy that, here is some recent work from the last couple years from the Imaginext and Little People lines. These are all Keyshot renders unless otherwise noted.

First up are an Allosaurus and Raptor from Imaginext’s Dino line. These guys were a lot of fun and were a couple of the first projects I did almost entirely in Zbrush. I used to sculpt in Geomagic (formerly Sensible) Freeform exclusively and started transitioning to Zbrush about 3.5 years ago. Now I do about 95% of my work in Zbrush, bouncing into Freeform and Maya once in a while.

Allosaurus.01.jpgAllosaurus.02.jpgRaptor.01.jpgRaptor.02.jpg

Attachments

Allosaurus.01.jpg

Allosaurus.02.jpg

Raptor.01.jpg

Raptor.02.jpg

Shark_Pirate_01.jpgShark_Pirate_02.jpg

Attachments

Shark_Pirate_01.jpg

Shark_Pirate_02.jpg

LP_CMV70_King_Knight.01.jpgLP_CMV70_King_Knight.02.jpgCMV73_LP_Knights.02.jpgCMV73_LP_Knights.01.jpg

Attachments

LP_CMV70_King_Knight.01.jpg

LP_CMV70_King_Knight.02.jpg

CMV73_LP_Knights.02.jpg

CMV73_LP_Knights.01.jpg

This was super fun to sculpt. I based this very heavily on the Bruce Timm animation style. His wings flap with a button on his back and his hands are sculpted to be able to hold an Imaginext figure by the ankles!ManBat.01.jpgManBat.02.jpg

Attachments

ManBat.01.jpg

ManBat.02.jpg

LP_Tinkerbell.02.jpgLP_Tinkerbell.01.jpg

Attachments

LP_Tinkerbell.01.jpg

LP_Tinkerbell.02.jpg

This is a stone Triceratops head from the Imaginext Dino Temple playset. When it is activated, it raises up to reveal a hidden passage and the hidden blades fan out from the head. The orange-ish renders are from Keyshot and the others are from Zbrush. There are also a couple pillars that sit alongside an entrance to the temple.

DinoTemple.01.jpgDinoTemple.02.jpgDino_Temple_08.jpgDino_Temple_07.jpgDino_Temple_06.jpgDino_Temple_03.jpgDino_Temple_05.jpgDino_Temple_04.jpg

Attachments

DinoTemple.01.jpg

DinoTemple.02.jpg

Dino_Temple_08.jpg

Dino_Temple_07.jpg

Dino_Temple_06.jpg

Dino_Temple_05.jpg

Dino_Temple_04.jpg

Dino_Temple_03.jpg

LP_Ghost.01.jpgLP_Ghost.02.jpg

Attachments

LP_Ghost.01.jpg

LP_Ghost.02.jpg

This guy stands 2.5 feet in his upright position. What is show here is his ‘dome’ position, but activate one of the power pads and he stands up and roars. He’s got a cannon seat in hi smooth as well as a boulder launcher on his back and a boulder launcher under his chest. The final product also has a whole cage assembly between his legs. And did I mention this guy walks? This is my original sculpt which got tweaked and embellished for the final product This was one of the coolest projects I’ve gotten to work on and it turned out to be an awesome toy as well.

Ultra_T-Rex.01.jpgUltra_T-Rex.02.jpgUltra_T-Rex.03.jpgUltra_T-Rex.04.jpg

Attachments

Ultra_T-Rex.01.jpg

Ultra_T-Rex.02.jpg

Ultra_T-Rex.03.jpg

Ultra_T-Rex.04.jpg

1 Like

Nice work! Love the planar dinosaurs.

That’s some lovely work, have to agree those planar dinosaurs are great.

Very clean, and they have a lot of personality in such simplified forms.

Will you post a breakdown of your process in the future? (If you’re free of any NDAs to do so, that is) I find process posts to be as inspiring as final work.

What a cool job. Excellent work on that T-Rex. Feels like I could reach out and grab it.

Edit:
How does one get hired at Fischer Price? :wink:

Matt, you mentioned you are moving away from Freeform. How are you now converting your meshes to nurbs, or are you using Geomagic for that?

Those look great. Especially the dinosaurs. :smiley: How do you make the joints? I’d imagine they have to be very precise. I bet it’s difficult.

Love the dinosaurs! I was planning to do something similar to 3D print for my kids!

Very nice and clean product work!
I know how subtle and tricky this kind of work is having worked for Mattel, many props to you :+1:

Love the dino Toys! Awesome stuff!

lovely,

…a cool tool for your work! :wink:

You have the coolest form down. I especially love how there’s a sense of clean lines, yet retains its organic shape as well with inference to muscles :).

Awesome work! Very, freegin inspiring.