Senior Member Follow User Gallery

So that little shotgun-in-an-hour playlist was mind-blowing! In an hour! Couldn't quite believe it's even possible, yet here we are. Amazing stuff. Well done, and thanks for sharing.

nagulov
    So that little shotgun-in-an-hour playlist was mind-blowing! In an hour! Couldn't quite believe it's even possible, yet here we are. Amazing stuff. Well done, and thanks for sharing.
    oh man, it's so fun too! one of the many reasons I love ZBrush.

And heck, without blabbing about what you're doing while you're doing it, and being able to think without speaking, you could probably get that down to 30 minutes easy if you were so inclined, with tighter, closer to final details (especially with the correct insert meshes). Super fun!

This is awesome. Great workflow!

Hey Michael, great stuff. Will pick up the gun lesson as well. Thanks for all you do!

Thumbs up

I remember your talk about proceduralism (guess it was gdc 2015) - one of the best talks I ever heard, very strong message

I have one crit about the boot, and I want to share it, since I see this so often.

hope it´s ok to link a reference image:

the inner side of the sole has a very distinct bend. I guess, people often miss it, since it´s not so obvious when viewed from above.

Good point; I'd imagine most people probably have a bottom of a boot picture up while they're doing at least the treads though (I know I did)...just got lazy with the concept to final translation haha. I wills say those 3/4 views aren't doing them any favors; they're not super tapered in the ankle and pointed at the toe, but they're also not rectangles like they appear in the orthographic view captures:

But from a bull****ter artistic license laziness excuse I'm going to go with this grizzled 450lb cyborg isn't going to be sporting any pointy toed ankle tapered standard issue military boot, and...the universe he lives in has really bad foot anatomy

fair enough

keep up the great work!

Watching your boot tutorial now, you are a very effective and inspiring teacher. Thanks for sharing your great workflows : )

Told you I'd be back! First, some texturing walkthrough videos; not super ZBrush-centric (I'll get to the zbrush stuff below), but a decent high-level overview:

Full body; my wife was calling him "Corporal Bill" as I was working on him, so I went ahead and made him a Corporal. Took me about a day to texture him up in Painter on my laptop; he's a fairly beefy file (11 texture sets) but didn't have any real problems with him. A bit of that time was researching Italian military stuff...didn't find too much, and the stuff I did find I wasn't sure if I was translating correctly. I'd like to do a bunch of variants of this guy, he was super quick and actually FUN to texture, so going back in and changing the "flavor" would be cool

Wire frame of the game res; I did ZRemesher for his body, pants, and cloak (high res pants and cloak made in Marvelous Designer, then zremeshed > projected > detailed in ZBrush). I did ZSphere retopology for the complex shapes, anything that used ZModeler with dynamic subdivisions was just simplified (edges deleted or collapsed using either the Geometry > Edgeloop menu or manually with ZModeler) for the game res. Did a little game res cleanup in Maya as well.

For the paint "effects", I started out with a sharpie brush in painter, then used some zbrush alphas from their library here:

https://pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/alpha/

To help sell the thick, brushed on, splattery look.

You probably noticed an absence of fine-detail in my ZBrush sculpt, and that was because wear and tear (that doesn't change the silhouette) and tiny things like stitches are a little less destructive happening in the texture as opposed to the high res. Not to say I haven't dropped in a curve stitch brush to add some sweet high res detail, but in this case, just using a stitch brush for an alpha layer and being able to change properties on the fly (and provide an "integration divot") in the texture was a little bit cleaner for me in the end. Your mileage may vary though!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123