ZBrushCentral

how not to destroy base mesh

Hello guys.
Im new to zbrush sculpting and for upcoming project i need to sculpt something in Zbrush.
I have one big question that raised during my initial testing.
I do have base mesh, i did subdivide the mesh and did some sculpting on it. But if i switch back to base mesh (lowest subdiv) the base mesh got changed in shape as well. Since i cant change the base mesh due pipeline, i need the base mesh to stay intact and exactly the same as imported. I also tried importing base mesh, turn Morph target on and then do the sculpt. Base mesh gets modified as well. After switching base mesh to original the final sculp in highest subdiv doesnt look as i sculpted.

I did super simple scene and did some print screens.

Can please someone explain my how to do big changes in sculpt, but keep the base mesh intact?

Attachments

01.jpg

Every time you subdivide, you do not work with a different mesh: you work with the very same mesh, and every detail you sculpt on the subdivided mesh will be projected onto the lower subdivisions. This means, in standard conditions, you can’t sculpt on a higher subdivision level without modifying the lower levels.

There is a way to get around this: after importing your base mesh, you can use SubTool > Duplicate to create an identical copy of the object. You can continue working and the newly created copy won’t be affected by your brushes; if you wish to select and edit the base mesh now, all you need to do is select it from the SubTool subtools list.
If one wishes to hide the base mesh, in the SubTools subtools list there are buttons (“eyes”) that allow you to hide the subtool. Be aware that hiding the subtool you are currently working on (the highlighted one) hides all subtools, but you are always going to see the currently selected subtool no matter what. Conversely, unhiding the currently selected subtool causes all subtools to become visible.
Alternatively, you can select “Solo” mode, or “Dynamic Solo” mode in the menu on the right of your canvas, if you wish to see only the currently selected subtool, or if you wish to see it only when rotating/editing the currently selected subtool.
Finally, you can select “Transp” to enter Transparency mode: all subtools except the currently selected one will become semitransparent, allowing you to see through them.

I suggest you play with some of these panels’ options since they’re basic zBrush knowledge.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Unfortunately i dont need base mesh as reference. I simply cant modify the base mesh with my sculpting because the base mesh has been already rigged and its being animated. So if i will change base mesh with my sculpting on higher levels they will not be able to transfer rig to new base mesh.
The base mesh needs to stay as its and all my sculpting needs to be exported as displacement.

You can duplicate your basemesh subtool right after importing and selecting it in the Tools panel; you can then subdivide and sculpt the new subtool without influencing the original subtool. When you’re finished, you can export the high-poly model into your 3D-modeling program (Maya, 3DStudio Max, Modo etc.) to bake your maps.

I believe your question is about sculpting a rigged/animated mesh. It is true that if you import a rigged model, zBrush won’t store animation or rigging data.
However, if the model you are going to make in zBrush will be used only to bake maps (edge maps, normal maps, displacement maps, etc.) you can import the base, work directly on it, then export the high-poly finished model to an external program without fear: in fact, in most programs baking maps won’t affect rigging or animation of the model.

An example of this kind of workflow, to make things clear: I need to add detail to my game character, and the base model is already rigged; since it looks like a bunch of blocks put together, I decide to make a high-poly version of it: I import base mesh in zBrush, while keeping my other program open with the rigged base mesh (let’s say I’ve got Maya); I start sculpting. When I’m done, I’ll import the high-poly in Maya and bake normal map using the newly imported high-poly and the already-there base mesh. Finally, I apply my map to the base mesh, and here I’ve got my detailed game character without ever losing anim/rig data!

thank you for the input, it makes sense. Although its weird using other app to bake displacement, since Zbrush it tool designed for it :slight_smile:

You can bake normal maps and many other things in zBrush, like diffuse/specular maps; my suggestion though is always to use an app designed exclusively for that. I believe it just makes thing look prettier and unique!

Oh and, I’m glad I helped. :slight_smile:

You can duplicate your basemesh subtool right after importing and selecting it in the Tools panel; you can then subdivide and sculpt the new subtool without influencing the original subtool.