ZBrushCentral

The Division Weapons - [Made in Z-Brush]

Hello ZBrush central!
My name is Johannes Larsson. I work at the lead studio for The Division project, Ubisoft - Massive,

Early on I was making weapons for the project, the weapons were made using ZBrush for the high polys. I thought that I want to give something back to the forum by showing some of my work.

• The weapons where made with a lot of primitive shapes.
    Either straight in z-brush or imported from other 3D-packages. We often made all the parts of the weapon so we can reuse if needed. With those primitive shapes and forms I added and subtracted with Dynamesh master until the individual part was made. Besides Dynamesh the different curve and clipping-brushes came in handy, deformers, inflates,
    masking and scaling.

• Once the main shapes was done it was time for detailing.
    Labels, smaller cavitys or gripping surfaces where made using either the layer-brush with an alpha or noice-maker using tileable alphas. Screws and bolts was made using IMM-Brushes.

• Once done with all the pieces it was time to make them ready for baking.
    All the edges are razer sharp after the dynamesh and clipping applications, it was easely fixed with the polish slider under deformation. I recommend to soften the edges as a last step so you have full control over it.
    (Don’t forget to mask areas that you want to stay sharp)

• As a last step,
    use the decimation master to reduce some polys and its ready for export.

If you have questions about my work I’m happy to answer them.

Enjoy / Johannes L

Johannes_Larsson_AK_1.jpgJohannes_Larsson_AK_2.jpgJohannes_Larsson_AK_3.jpgJohannes_Larsson_AK-Flamer.jpgJohannes_Larsson_HeadPhones.jpgJohannes_Larsson_M249_1.jpgJohannes_Larsson_M249_2.jpgJohannes_Larsson_M249_3.jpg

Attachments

Johannes_Larsson_AK_1.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_AK_2.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_AK_3.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_AK-Flamer.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_HeadPhones.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_M249_1.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_M249_2.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_M249_3.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_M1911_1.jpgJohannes_Larsson_M1911_2.jpgJohannes_Larsson_M1911_3.jpgJohannes_Larsson_M1911_4.jpgJohannes_Larsson_MP5_1.jpgJohannes_Larsson_MP5_2.jpgJohannes_Larsson_MP5_3.jpgJohannes_Larsson_Peq.jpg

Attachments

Johannes_Larsson_M1911_1.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_M1911_2.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_M1911_3.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_M1911_4.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_MP5_1.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_MP5_2.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_MP5_3.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_Peq.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_S&W.jpgJohannes_Larsson_Scar_H.jpgJohannes_Larsson_Scar_L.jpgJohannes_Larsson_Socimi.jpg

Attachments

Johannes_Larsson_S&W.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_Scar_H.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_Scar_L.jpg

Johannes_Larsson_Socimi.jpg

1 Like

Excellent stuff Johannes! Been having fun playing the game and collecting the weapons =)

Thanks for sharing!

-Joseph

That is some really nice work! :+1:small_orange_diamond:sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:

awesome work. Thank you for posting. Congrats on an amazing game.

Hi I have question do you create UV maps on the decimated model OR you create a topology on hi res model and from that topology aka low poly model you create a UV map on this one ? BTW — awesome realistic clean work!

Same question as d4ff xD

Hello, and thanks for al the kind words.

D4ff & Andre_Lopes
The Decimation of the model are primarily so I can work with it in other 3D-Packages,
In My case Maya ware I take in the decimated version and make a complacently new mesh as a low-poly,

Thanks Joseph, Glad you liked the game.
And thanks for all the nice tutorials you have provided threw the years,
They have been one of the key elements in my understanding for hard-surface modeling inside ZBrush

Been loving me some Division. Some of the best weapon models I’ve seen in a game yet.

very well polished very well finished … very nice :+1:

Thank you for the great write-up Johannes! When I first saw this technique in action by your colleagues at the 2014 Zbrush Summit I was inspired to work. Since then I worked on two portfolio pieces using Maya to Zbrush workflow, absolutely thrilled how nice my results came out.

I worked on a Browning M2 machine gun and also a Beretta 92 Wilson Custom.

BrowningM2_06.jpg
WIP_08.jpg

It truly changed my work flow for the better.

Thanks again!

love the detail!!!

Thanks a lot for the post Johannes! Damn awesome work man! As a newbie, I have some questions regarding about ur workflow to ask, hope you can reply.

• may I know that how do u guys normally retopo your mesh if u find that u have made some major shape changes in Zbrush during the dynamesh process? is it using the zbrush retopo tools, topogun, or others?
  • may I know that how do u utilize boolean in lowpoly mesh?

Thanks

how they did it :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVHPSnBlIrU

Hey Johannes, love your work. As I am currently modelling up some weapons I’m very curious on your turn around time. In particular these two:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=498411
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=498400

How long would it take you to get everything you need to do in Zbrush for these weapons.

Thanks! Awesome work.

Excellent work : )