Senior Member Follow User Gallery

@Bob_S: For Vectric I have been sculpting the models entirely inside of ZBrush using DynaMesh (the images I posted above are all done in ZBrush.) After the sculpt is done I have been decimating them down (to reduce the polycount) then exporting them out as an OBJ. I then just have been importing the OBJ into Vectric (where it will convert the sculpt into a height map basically. I really am using probably .05% of the Vectric VCarve program for the process.) Then I have been doing my rough and finishing passes from there.

I am getting close to completing the ZBrush ZPlugin for the process; once that is done I will have a few videos of the process as well

For sending I am just using the UGS v1.0.9 (Universal GCode Sender) to send the Vectric Toolpaths to the machine. It's been working pretty well. I now just need to find some time to create some items to carve

For some more randomness here is a quick receiver I modeled in ZBrush with Slices and Panel Loops (~2hrs start to finish.) Sent it to KeyShot using the ZBrush to KeyShot bridge for rendering.

-Joseph

Another quick sculpt using ZModeler, DynaMesh, and a lot of Panel Loops

-Joseph

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for the workflow macros.. That dynamesh slicing is so awesome I'm useing it all the time.. Looking forward to your next macro pack I hope you can get Pixologic to integrate them in the next update they have been extremely useful .. Thanks again for you continuing contribution have been enjoying the new webinars as well .. Keep up the great work look forward to the next macro pack and the future webinars..

Administrator Follow User Gallery

nice job buddy.

Great thread here, Joseph. The CNC work is fantastic. I have to reprimand you, though, for your carpentry work on the deck steps. It is very bad practice to show end-grain like that. The perimeter is usually done with mitred 'picture framing' to conceal the
    grain.

And a huge thanks for those very useful macros. At least half of them are things I am constantly doing. Brilliant.

@troy1617,gabo1991: Thanks!
    @musashidan:
    Hah! Yeah I have framed stuff other projects correctly in the past, these steps were not getting the framed treatment (mostly b/c I'm Lazy =) )

For today's randomness I wanted to make a super quick environment concept image. The scene was all created inside of ZBrush using mostly tessellated planes of Geometry with noises (and transpose move to skew areas.) The setup is pretty simple; scene was then sent to KeyShot using the Bridge for rendering. I did a few Photoshop passes (three! b/c I liked elements in all of them..)

Here is the setup inside of ZBrush, lots of floating geometry covered in noises

-Joseph

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hi Joseph,
    First, thanks for all the great tutorials and Zplugins over the years.

I've really loved seeing your new work like the 30 day mini-mech challenge (I'd love a mini-tutorial with you discussing your process on one of those!) and this space diorama (For a long time I thought you were physically incapable of modeling anything that wasn't military grade!).

What are you doing with the perpendicular planes here that seem to affect the atmosphere?

Thanks!

@slothkins: Thanks for the kind words! Ha!, Yeah I attempt to create items like the robots every-once and a while (It doesn't last long before I'm back making military things )

I have timelapses of the March of Robot's I'll see if I can get a few posted up this week. For the quick environment concept: the planes of geometry I use inside of KeyShot with 'Xray' materials. They create a faux horizon effect (you can see the horizon lines, those are being generated from those planes of geometry. The topology is 100% flat but those planes give the illusion of hills and valleys creating a nice depth effect I have been using that process more then depth passes recently.

-Joseph

Cool. I'd like to see them... Well I hope you stay AWOL a little longer!

Noise is something I haven't really experimented with in Zbrush. It seems really useful and powerful, but that modal window interface scares me off, as it seems it hasn't received the love that other areas of the software have gotten over the years. Everything else in Zbrush is so tactile/hands-on that it feels a bit foreign to the program (maybe Zb5???). Are you just using the noise as a mask, then using the move tool to pull things out?

I still can't figure out how you've made those little alien turkey giblet particles with noise? As well as the shale-like rocks on the ground plane...

@slothkins: Turkey giblet things are Fibermesh :) (needed something to fill the space a little.) The shale effect is surface noise that is applied to the plane. Then the plane is masked by cavity then I use Move transpose to skew the geo to create the effect. I'll see about doing a video on the process. For the Robots here is a timelapse of one of them for ya.

For Today's Madness here is another quick Environement concept ~2hrs. Scene was setup in ZBrush then sent to Keyshot to render. Then I had a little too much fun playing in Photoshop (multiple images for ya.) Trees are surface noise spikes with some random fibermesh leaves applied to them.

-Joseph

This is great - I liked the use of dragRect alphas to get creases and details and the color swatch on geometry. So you didn't do any sketches or pre-planning? Did all your bots actually stand up without balance issues?

I'd love to see a process on these space terrains. You have to come clean with how you did the water - planes in Zbrush and some shader that I can't find in Keyshot???

Thanks!

It's amazing what can be done with ZBrush. Very inspiring stuff Joseph!

Love the landscapes Joseph.
    I remembered you talking about using noise spikes with fibermesh on the 4R7 reveal when you turned a dragon in to a rat with a wave of your hand.
    The work of a ZBrush Thaumaturge no less.

Thanks for inspiring and great to see Sculpt Corner has been launched.

Yours etc,
    Boozy.
    ......Nobody tries to be lah-di-dah or uppity--There's a cup-o'-tea for all.

Good work Joseph, always a big fan of your Art.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234511 ... LastLast