ZBrushCentral

What should I buy: Intuos or used Cintiq?

Hi everyone. I’m new to the community and thought you might be able to help me answer a few questions that has been bugging me. While I have found threads that answer similar questions they do not answer specifically what I need to know. I am able to purchase a Cintiq slightly used Cintiq 21UX for $750. It doesn’t have a pen, but I already have one. It does not have a power cord, but they look relatively inexpensive ($17) on Amazon. By trade I am a CAD designer, but have recently become more eager to explore the power of ZBrush. I am also taking classes in Photoshop so I see future uses there.

The questions are as follows:

Is this a good price for this model?
Should I purchase the intuos Pro for touch and 2048 levels vs 1024?
With multiple models using pen interaction (surface, Ipad, etc) do you see the Cintiq as being a dying technology?

Thank you,
Jason

My 2c

The difference between 512 and 1024 is huge. But the difference between 1024 and 2048 is not. In fact when it comes to Zbrush I can’t feel the difference at all. The difference is slightly noticeable on Photoshop but not alot. Simply put, I won’t be too concerned with levels above 1024.

Touch is useless. I turned it off.

Cintiq is not dying. I mean 21UX is already old and no longer in the market but it still works. It not like one can produce better work with a 27QHD vs a 21UX. 27QHD just looks more aweome on your desk.

As for Cintiq vs tablet, it is really personal preference. I have shared this a few times before. I used a Cintiq and didn’t like it. Revert back to tablet and never looked back. My old cintiq now sits on my desk as a third monitor and a backup in case my tablet die (which is near impossible as anyone with a wacom tablet will tell you.)
Main reason, ergonomic. Light at low angle emitted into your eyes for extended period of time and heat from the screen. I find myself getting fatigued fast on Cintiq.
The eye hand coordination ‘advantage’ is good but not necessary. I won’t call it an advantage. It feels like a different style. You know, like wielding a sword vs spear.

I love my old 21UX Cintiq. It gives me a much better feeling while drawing & painting. Sculpting on zBrush is also much nicer even though 1600x1200 is not the biggest.
It’s getting very close to real drawing but there is still a difference.

With a tablet you can work on a monitor with high resolution. this is a plus compared to a 21 UX.
Anyway it is not that much I am missing.
I use it as a third monitor beside two 1920x1200.
That is fun.

The Power Supply is delivered, isn’t it? Other wise I wouldn’t buy it.
750$ is not too bad but not a killer prize. I paid for mine around 1000€ four years ago. Together with pan and airbrush.
Not really use the airbrush even in Photoshop but both pens are around 70-100$ each.
Mine is the very old silver version.
I saw 24HD for around 1000 on ebay. If you are lucky and if you can wait.

As wacom stopped driver support for my old intuos2 tablets it will happen once for Intuos3 technology too. Which is mine 21UX. Something to consider too.

Good luck!

One area in which the answer is applicable.
…Your age and years using tablets etc…
Speaking from an older person point of view, all other things being equal, tablet is better.
Why age, the stress on wrists and the fact that during the years you have adapted to the tablet type position.
Had both.
The Cintiq was a pain in the …wrist.
I was highly motivated to use it because it was free.
Gave it a few hours a day to try to get used to it. Totally unconfortable.
Plus I had to basically concede a monitor to use it.
Went back to Intuos 5.
If you have a friend or there is a store in your area that sells it try it for few minutes.
Keep in mind though, it will take time and practice to get proficient.

If you are say under 30 disregard this post.

I wouldn’t bother spending big bucks on a tablet for photo manipulation in PS. The features which the more pricey tablets have really aren’t needed for photo manipulation (ie extremely sensitive pressure levels, large active surfaces, etc). Artists (meaning traditional artists) love them because of those features, but it’s overkill for general PS use.

I would pick up the Bamboo. They’re much better than the old Wacom entry level Graphires, and even those were pretty good. The pricier ones have a textured working surface which, when combined with the various interchangeable pen tips, attempt to mimic the feel of real pencils, pens and brushes. Again…really not needed for working with photos in PS.

I have an Intuos3 because I like to draw/paint with Corel Painter and PS as well, and yes, the Intuos line is a nicer tablet than the Bamboo. The 4 x 6 size is just fine for photos, because you’ll only be working in one small area at a time for precise stuff. Artists like the larger ones because they can draw from the elbow like on traditional media…the small sizes pretty much force you to draw from the wrist.

I would go Cintiq every time! such good pieces of kit. You won’t regret it!! :slight_smile:

I’ve had the Cintiq 24HD Touch (DTH2400) since about February 2013 so if I am honest, its difficult for me to make comparisons as I’ve been using my trusty Cintiq for the past 3 years. That said, I’m still loving my tablet 3 years on and it really is a great piece of kit. There are certain things that I wish were different but that’s always going to the case. My main qualm, at the beginning, was that it was too bulky but I’m over that now. I have had to get an anti-glare protector for it as the screen is quite reflective and that was hindering me somewhat in the beginning. It could be a little brighter too but I have it setup in my home workshop/office space and I’ve tinkered with the lighting so its suitable for me to work in. I just use blinds and then control the light myself as natural daylight can be an issue. I wouldn’t let that put you off, easily remedied with a bit of ingenuity, the most important thing is how it performs and I stand by it for that. If anyone’s after one then I can suggest checking out this site as they do both new and used Cintiq’s and there’s a range of models. You’ll prob save a bit instead of buying from somewhere like Amazon.

Also used a cintiq, 22HD from Wacom, and didn’t like it at all for 3d modeling - I feel I have more space when I’m not limited by size of a cintiq, but by size of my screen in combo with a tablet. I use intuos pro medium. Tried L and it was too big. I disliked the fact that there’s latency very noticeable when using a cintic - cursor doesn’t move in the same time as your pen but always has a lag, and the fact that my drawing hand was covering half the screen was very off putting. However I prefer a cintiq for 2d drawing, for 3d - tablet all the way.

Yes, latency is one of the drawbacks with Cintiq’s, suppose it depends what you are going to use it for ultimately, suits my needs fine but for 3D work, I can understand why a Cintiq might fall down.