New Member Follow User Gallery

Default 3D Sculptor needed for Wedding cake topper\3D printing

Hello all,

I was referred here by someone else from ShapeWays.
    I am looking to have the below link sculpted with some minor changes.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bYQWVlD2afo/hqdefault.jpg
    It is roughly 8-9" in height.
    I am not sure of the feasability of this.
    I would like to have it printer in full color plastic or full color stand stone.

Any thoughts, comments, questions or critiques are appreciated.

Hope to hear back soon

Thanks
    -Mike

Member Follow User Gallery

If the couple were near Chicago, I'd recommend getting their faces 3D scanned and have it dropped onto the sculpt. This would save approx a week's worth of work trying to otherwise manually sculpt their likeness. High rez scanning from a 50-camera photogrammetry rig or even a Fuel3D scanner will pick up good useable detail without worrying about the subject fidgeting.

As for 3D printing, I'd highly suggest avoiding any sort of FDM printing process: Makerbots, Dremels, RepRap, Soliddoodle, Up and the ilk. For all the work put into a figurine sculpt, the string of molten plastic assembling the layers puts it all to waste.

Stereolithography (SLA) 3D printers will provide far better detail and surface smoothness.

In handing this sculpt over to Shapeways, I'm sure they have a bevy of SLA printers that'll print the desired size.

As for color, neither FDM or SLA do full color. They just output a plastic/resin object that typically gets hand-painted by some users or undergo casting by others.

Mcor creates 3D objects in color. They do it by feeding it a ream of paper that gets cut and colored. It's been a while since I checked on other processes.

If your target is 9 inches high, the two figures create a fairly tremendous base. Even with hollowing out the sculpt for 3D printing, this isn't much of a cake topper as it'll be a cake smusher.

It should also be pointed out that while there are plenty of talented artists in this SCULPTRIS forum, the folks over in the ZBRUSH forum are using a more advanced tool that among many things allow for 3D print prep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcKKP3N7NxU