ZBrushCentral

Intuos Pro Medium or Cintiq 13 HD ?

Hi guys,

I have a question concerning my next tablet, I have been watching some reviews on youtube about wacom tablets and all i see is people using the cintiq 13 hd with photoshop.

I want to know how this display tablet performs with zbrush. Is it big enough for all the menus? Is the working area big enough?

I have been using a wacom intuos 3 and it is ok but i need a new tablet to accelerate my production time.

Is it worth dishing out 1000$ for this or just get an intuos pro?

I also looked at some other brands like the Huion GT-190 19 inch screen which is tempting, but don’t know if that will be quality like wacom.

any thoughts?

thanks.

Menus are large enough, it’s bigger than you think. Unless you like a touch interface (fingers) for other work, don’t bother spending extra on a Cintiq Touch version, as you will just disable this feature when zbrushing or photoshopping anyway. I don’t know anyone who prefers a tablet to drawing on a screen, so you need a monitor with a digitizer.

Wacom is lazy, and their greedy finally caught up with them. Microsoft bought n-trig, and Apple has developed their own technology. I wouldn’t spend too much now, as the next year will have upgrades. Currently you can buy a Cintiq 13 for about $500 if you wait for a deal, and $600 if you don’t. Wacom’s screens aren’t great when it comes to color new, so buying used is fine.

Drawing on a cintiq is superior to that of glass, but a lot of people don’t mind the surface pro. If you are spending $1000, and don’t mind glass, buy that. If you want a cheaper digitizer and don’t mind, you can get a chinese screen for $400. It was a deal a couple years ago, but since prices on Cintiqs are so cheap used, I wouldn’t recommend the frugal route now.

tl;dr Buy the Cintiq, save your money for something new in the next year or two, and resell then for only a small depreciation in value. Cintiqs hold value better than macbooks.

thanks for the reply minwage,

i looked at the prices and i did not find any cintiq 13 hd for 500$, but yeah i think you are right that drawing directly on the screen does accelerate the process and is closer to drawing on paper.

I guess 1k is the price they set and it’s not going down anytime soon, some people bought it 2 years ago and was costing like 950$ and today it’s still 1000$.

Wish they had a monthly payment option lol.

Here’s one on eBay for 620, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacom-Cintiq-13HD-/131642070866?hash=item1ea67a9752:g:om8AAOSw5VFWNX0s

500 is hard, but possible if you are lucky.

I’ve been using a Wacom Bamboo tablet literally for years. It’s cheap, small and has no pen pressure sensitivity. Unlike the larger, more expensive tablets, it can be set so that it DOESN’T “map” the screen (top, left of tablet = top, left of screen). If you use it in mouse mode (I think?), you kind of hover over the tablet and can scroll the screen. Anyway, for basic photo editing it works great. If you need pressure sensitivity and fancy graphic designer stuff, probably not. My daughter has an XP-Pen DECO 01 ( https://www.xp-pen.com/goods/show/id/224.html ) , as she’s an artist and she really likes it, but I only do photo editing and I tried the DECO 01 for a while but preferred the cheaper one because of the ability to use their mouse mode.