ZBrushCentral

Anki Hard Surface and Keyshot

Hey guys, here’s some hard surface modeling I did for the guys over at Anki Overdrive:

https://anki.com/en-us

100% ZBrush on the modeling, used keyshot bridge for my base renders, and did a little post work in Photoshop to make it pop. I would normally try and have a bunch of videos and process, but since I fit these in where I could at the time, I didn’t really prepare for a process breakdown. I went through my incremental save files though, so I did some renders and I’ll chime in a bit here and there below as I render them and save them out.

You can check out my youtube channel for more ZBrush goodness, I have a similar concepty weapon I did a while ago I might post there if I can find the video files; if so I’ll let you know and post them here:

–All rights of the art belong to Anki–

I’ll start with this once, because it’s a good example of the “Zmodeler blockout / little bit of organic sculpting” to block things out

Refine the shapes, add details (zmodeler, panel loops mostly on this one)

Once shapes are set, I usually resorted to a quick dynamesh for detail noodling, panel cutting, masking, extracting, insert mesh greebles

Base render out of Keyshot using the ZBrush > Keyshot bridge to throw it over

Material ID render: search for flat in the keyshot materials, then drag and drop that over and over again on your different material “chunks”, changing the RBG as you go; this will make for much easier mask selection in photoshop for post work later

Attachments

guardebrake001.jpg

guardebrake002.jpg

guardebrake003.jpg

guardebrake006.jpg

guardebrake004.jpg

guardebrake005.jpg

Throw the two renders into photoshop, add a little glow, smoke, tweaks, etc… Some of the others had more or less post work (emissive glow, electricity, etc…), this one was pretty straight forward.

thermo001.jpg

Same process with this one, although I sketched it out a bit more using dynamesh than zmodeler for this one if I remember correctly

And this render had a lot more “glow” post work in it

thermoupgrade001.jpg

This was an example of taking previously created weapon (above) and giving it a bit of an upgrade; so starting with previously creating pieces, and adding a bit more firepower.

Same deal with this one; refine this one up, add the post:

electropulse001.jpg

Then, kit bash old pieces, rearrange, add some new stuff for another upgrade:

electropulse_ug001.jpg

I’ll have some more as I get things rendered out in a bit–

Wow, they look great! How did you do that lightning effect in the gun? It looks amazing! :cool:

Somebody better than me in Keyshot could probably post how to do it in the render with materials and post, but it’s basically a mask in photoshop that I duplicate, blur, hue-sat colorize, and tweak the opacity to get it to look right. To get the light color bounce on the base render I used an emissive material, but I could probably go in there and fiddle a bit more with mats for a more convincing look!

cannonmiddle001.jpg

This one was kind of done a bit backwards; the “middle” version was done first, then the “heavy”, and then the “light”:

cannonheavy001.jpg

Nice work man. Saw the trailer the other day. :+1:

These turned out awesome! Excellent stuff; super clean!

-Joseph

Nice readable designs! Nice renders too!

Quick questions if you have the time:

• Lights for the items: Emissive or Area Diffuse (or something other) ?
  • Lighting is photoshop post compositing?

Thanks guys!!

• Lights for the items: Emissive or Area Diffuse (or something other) ?
  • Lighting is photoshop post compositing?

The pre-“glowy” renders are the base renders out of keyshot, and those are just an emissive material (I think I started with the blue emissive and just changed the color if I remember correctly)

The final images have the photoshop post in it, and that was (for many of them) adding a fuzzy, saturated glow. There may be a way to do that from within Keyshot, but I didn’t do much research into that (plus, doing it in post gave me a bit more control at the end, which is fine since I wasn’t really rendering in passes or anything)

Really awesome hard surface modeling, materials & post effects!

Kudos to you! I could enjoy looking at this series for a looong time!