ZBrushCentral

The Scorch Trials - CRANK Designs

Hello everyone, I wanted to share some of the Crank Designs I did for Scorch Trials.

I love using Zbrush in my work process, it allows me to present my designs in a very photorealistic image.

I sculpted and textured the model in Zbrush and rendered it in Modo, with some PS tweaks afterwards.

The 3D model and my Concept Sketches served as reference for Weta Digital.

Hope you enjoy!

1-2.jpg

02-2.jpg

test2.jpg

Attachments

02-2.jpg

2 Likes

fantastic work, ken!

cool to see how “grounded” he is even in the t-pose. very nice work man.

-r

Thanks! Glad you like it. :slight_smile:

Holy **** mate now that is totally sick and my design man!
Your work always has been a true inspiration for me man and this one is another fantastic piece.
Your execution on all levels (sculpting, texturing, rendering, comping, design) is just amazing man.
Would love seeing a break down on how you tackle things :slight_smile:

Always a pleasure seeing your work mate.

Keep em comin’ and happy sculpting =)

Best regards,
Kenny :slight_smile:

Thank you.
I attached a break down of how I executed the sprouts.

I created about three different InsertMeshes which I used for the sprouts. After adding to the mesh, I tweaked each sprout with the Move Brush to make them look different from each other. At the end I merged them all into one SubTool.

wip3.jpgcrank.jpg

Attachments

wip3.jpg

crank.jpg

1 Like

WOW!! Brilliant Character man!! Congrats on the toprow!!

wow amazing design and sculpt! :slight_smile:
how long did you take for the model?

Thank you! I think the model took me about three days.

Damm I need to practice more
 this is just so awesome! Nice work

this guy is one scary looking mofo!! great job!! would love to see an animation of him opening his mouth and lunging forward creepily :slight_smile: seriously scary stuff
the black pulsating veins too
wow. nice work!! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

AwesomeIlike your design very muchreally cool and nice sculpture.:slight_smile:

I love the expression in the first panel of the second image, he looks almost harmless, like a little child being scolded and about to cry, and in the next one the aggressiveness unleashed, amazing work!

One question, when you say the 3d model served as reference for Weta, do you mean the images of the 3d model, or do you actually send them the mesh and they keep working on it?

Thanks guys! Means a lot.

@manuelf: The whole Zbrush file was sent to them, but I don’t know whether they actually used the mesh in the film.

Hi Ken,

just want to stop by saying that your 3D model is awesome.
I don’t like all this creepy stuff, makes me nightmares I don’t need, but your work as an artist is brilliant.
I really like your sketching style and imho some of your scorch pencils are even much more impressive for me as your sculpt.
I guess it’s more about personality being better transported via traditional art - if the artist has the skills :wink:

For me, you are one of those.
Keep up the good work.

(Me I pretty much like the caricature of Claude Junker :smiley: )

These guys, the canopy of collapsed buildings, and the test tube experiments were the best things in the movie, which was, all in all, a pleasant surprise!
Great work Ken

awesome thread!!! Awesome all around. Dig the pose, the cloth, really feels alive. Also, really dug the concept drawings as well. Thanks for sharing.

awesome :slight_smile: love the designs. Thx for the upload.

GORGEOUS artwork Ken! Kudos! (y)