ZBrushCentral

New Human Muscle Anatomy Training

https://gumroad.com/countvertsalot

I’ve been working on this for awhile now. I think I have developed a great way to learn anatomy. It will take a lot of work, but you get to skip all the dead ends and wasted time that I and many others had to go through. The basic idea is that I allow you to get past the first major hurdle in learning anatomy by supplying you with an accurate skeleton. You get both male and female versions of the skeleton. These are anatomically correct and simplified at the same time. What does that mean? It means I kept the important anatomical landmarks of each bone and got rid of the textural noise you would find on a bone surface so you get a smooth mesh with obvious areas of importance. Doing this also allowed me to lower the poly count significantly and take advantage of subd to get a smooth, easy to read skeleton structure. You also are getting more than just bones. I’ve included what I believe are important structures to aid in muscle placement. Sometimes muscles don’t attach to bone, sometimes they attach to something else in the body. So I’ve included various ligaments and other things to help you out.

The second major hurdle, the human musculature, is eased by supplying you with detailed locations and names nearly all the muscles of the body. This information is given to you in 4 separated texture sets. Each texture set is divided by a specific area of the body and contains 3 to 5 individual textures. Those individual textures are divided even further to more specific areas, such as specific joints. The reason the textures in each set are in a specific order is to allow you to create each muscle without having another muscle you’ve already created in the way. I guide you from the very deep muscles outward to the superficial muscles. Doing so will allow you to place the superficial muscles more accurately because they often times rest on top of the deep muscles. You simply have to load an individual texture from one of the sets and you’re ready to start learning. Also supplied is a guide image that you can view in any image viewer or place as a backdrop item in your 3D app. This guide image matches the color you see on the textures to the name of the muscles those colors represent. The only thing that is left to do is to look up those muscle names and create each muscle using the texture colors as reference.

This might sound really complicated, but it’s really simple to do. All you have to do is load a skeleton model, load two images, and then start your research. I leave that research up to you. I give you a good starting point, but to understand anatomy is to research it properly yourself. There are no real shortcuts, I’ve looked. You have a good framework, the skeleton, and you’re armed with the knowledge that a muscle exists and where it goes thanks to the texture sets. Now you have to research, understand, and build that muscle. I could have given you every single muscle if I wanted to, but you won’t learn anything in my opinion. You have to really know each muscle because once you start building characters and something goes wrong you can either be stuck or know what to do. Learning about each muscle arms you with knowing what to do.

That’s not to say I won’t nudge you towards what I think everyone should use. There are two websites that I think is all that is needed. The first is anatomyexpert.com which gives you every bit of knowledge you need about the function of muscles along with the emtymology of those hard to say Latin and Greek words found in muscle names. The second is visiblebody.com and the Muscle Premium software it sells. For $25 you get a 3D view of every muscle in the body. Originally, I was going to sell my complete muscle anatomy guide for $50, but I decided to sell it for $25 because I want you to buy this as well. It’s really that good. Now, neither of these sites have what I would call character artist worthy models, but they have the knowledge you need. Besides, you’re getting a skeleton from me so all you have to do is use that knowledge from these sites and the skeleton will help you build a better looking musculature. Remember, the muscle research is up to you so you don’t have to use either of these sites at all and I have nothing to gain if you use either of them. There’s a ton of data out there if you know how to search with the correct muscle terminology, which I supply to you.

I’ve attached a couple of images to show you what you’d be getting from me. The first is a skeleton, this is the female one, with the shoulder joint texture of the arm texture set (captured in Zbrush). The second image is the guide image that goes with it.

If you download and view the sample files off of gumroad.com you will see that I mention that I may do a bone guide to compliment this guide. I have now decided to do just that and that is up for preorder and will be available in late September.

Attachments

arm example.jpg

shoulder guide.jpg