ZBrushCentral

Jurassic World Toy Sculpts

Hey guys. I seldom am able to post my work due to NDAs with various clients but here’s a project that found it’s way to the toy shelves finally. I had the good fortune to work with the Jurassic World folks on some toy designs. Here are some of the highlights.

JW_Main_01.jpgJW_Main_02.jpgJW_Main_03.jpgdino.247.jpgdino.250.jpgdino.251.jpg

Attachments

JW_Main_01.jpg

JW_Main_02.jpg

JW_Main_03.jpg

dino.247.jpg

dino.250.jpg

dino.251.jpg

Here is some of the concept art I created for the sculpts.

Raptor3.jpgSPINOSAURUS2.jpgSTEGOSAURUS3.jpgTRICERATOPS3.jpg

Attachments

Raptor3.jpg

SPINOSAURUS2.jpg

STEGOSAURUS3.jpg

TRICERATOPS3.jpg

…and a few shots of the actual toys.

dino_01.jpgdino_02.jpgdino_03.jpggroup.jpg

Attachments

dino_01.jpg

dino_02.jpg

dino_03.jpg

Very nice!

Long time no see Warner!! Very sweeeeet sculpts!! Those in the stores yet? My son will love those!!

Nice designs! Well sculpted too. Thanks for sharing.

-ShaneO

Thanks folks!

Hey Jake! Yeah it’s been a while. Hope you’re well. Yes. These (and others) are in toy stores now. :slight_smile:

hahah… these are great.

-r

Hey guys. Thanks.

The sculpting of these dinos were started and completed in Zbrush. Hasbro has many internal Zbrush users as well as a host of mechanical experts that work out the function and articulations of the toys. The larger Green dino had the most mechanical components of all of the sculpts that I worked on. The art director and I discussed the price points of the toys, how much articulation and mechanical components we could have in the toys. The Green one has lights, sound and 5 points of articulation while some of the simpler ones have only 2 points of articulation with no sound or lights. More bells and whistles = more cost.

There were several advantages of working in Zbrush for the project verse traditionally or with other sculpting packages some of which were that we could do many different variations of articulation adjusting for cost or exploring different ideas for movement, change sizes quickly and make edits in minutes. Saving time…saving money.

In the end some sculpts were used with a lot of articulation at medium to larger sizes but also the same sculpt minus the articulation points were used at smaller sizes. Same sculpts but just without all of the different components thereby offering another product to put in the cart. Zbrush was a champ through the entire project! There’s simply no way that I could have done this project with it.

The general process went like this:

The art director approached me with the project to do some initial character sketches of the dinosaurs that he had in mind. This is for Playskool so they had to be cute and fun. As posted above I generated some 2D sketches of the dinos and made some general color suggestions. The art director gave some notes about the line up of characters and we presented the results (sketches) to the team. They love the sketches and gave me the green light to do the sculpting. Before starting the sculpting my AD and I discussed price points, articulation, deco and colors. Then the sculpting began. For the larger dino (Green one) a foam model was built internally so that the mechanisms could be established. That was handed off to me then (photos only) to do the digital sculpt. I did not do any of the internal structures for the mechanical components. That’s the job for the engineers. My job was mostly aesthetic. Make them mean but in a ‘cute’ sort of way I think is how it went. :slight_smile:

Anyway, here are a few breakdown images of how the project came together in Zbrush.

DinoBreakdown_01.jpgDinoBreakdown_02.jpgDinoBreakdown_03.jpgDinoBreakdown_04.jpg

Some really neat videos of the internal mechanisms for the dino.

love the inner mech movies!

Thank you for the Tips on creating the wonderful toy.

Thanks for your words and for having a look. Once the toys are on the shelves it’s typical to see the sculpted details soften a bit and the articulation to be ‘slightly’ over engineered but these actually turned out pretty well I think. The large green one is especially nice in person. Cool sound and lighted eyes.

Such a fun toy to have on my desk…temporarily at least. We’ll see how long that lasts with my curious son who has a thing for dinos. haha. I guess that’s the sign of a successful toy though…a little beat up and randomly thrown about the house. Good times. :slight_smile:

Great work! Thanks for the breakdown!!:+1:

haha super cool. great job.

Cute dino toys! :+1:

Warner!

These are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous sculpts! Thanks so much for posting the breakdown process and videos too!

-Steve

good job!

Love this - I’m actually working with the guy who did one of those mech videos, recognized his voice straight away! Both of you are geniuses!

Warner - do you collaborate on projects? Would be great to talk - adam@creatinguniquetoys.com

Cheers

Wow! Top Row!! It’s awesome to be recognized amongst this ocean of Zbrush talent. Thanks for that!

And thanks for all of your comments, mentions and supportive emails. Very much appreciated. Cheers guys!

That’s amazing. Tanks for sharing and congrats for top row!