ZBrushCentral

SF ZOO Animal Learning Plaza

I am the Design Director and a Senior 3D modeler at Scientific Art Studio and wanted to share with you a cool project our team has been working on for the San Francisco Zoo.
The SF Zoo “Animal Learning Plaza” was a design/build sculpture garden project in which we used traditional and digital sculpting methods.
Zbrush was used for creating all of our digital sculptures which were then 3d printed or cut on a CNC machine.
Those patterns were then molded and cast in bronze, resin, or concrete.

Rey Hernandez
http://scientificartstudio.com/
http://www.coroflot.com/ReyH
Chameleon_12.jpgChameleon_13.jpgDSC_5006.JPGiguana_07.jpgMarsupialFrog_03.jpgMarsupialFrog_04.jpg

Attachments

Chameleon_12.jpg

Chameleon_13.jpg

DSC_5006.JPG

iguana_07.jpg

MarsupialFrog_03.jpg

MarsupialFrog_04.jpg

1 Like

SF_001.jpgSF_002.jpgSF_003.jpgSF_004.jpgSF_004b.jpgSF_006.jpg

Attachments

SF_001.jpg

SF_002.jpg

SF_003.jpg

SF_004.jpg

SF_004b.jpg

SF_006.jpg

SF_006b.jpgSF_006c.jpgSF_006d.jpgSF_006e.jpgSF_006f.jpgSF_006g.jpg

Attachments

SF_006b.jpg

SF_006c.jpg

SF_006d.jpg

SF_006e.jpg

SF_006f.jpg

SF_006g.jpg

Attachments

SF_progress_007.jpgSF_progress_009.jpgSF_progress_010.jpgTuatara_02.jpgTuatara_03.jpgTurtle_render1_WITH_LOGO.jpg

Attachments

SF_progress_007.jpg

SF_progress_009.jpg

SF_progress_010.jpg

Tuatara_02.jpg

Tuatara_03.jpg

Turtle_render1_WITH_LOGO.jpg

V_Coelacanth_05.jpgWHALE_Site_Pic5593.jpg

Attachments

V_Coelacanth_05.jpg

WHALE_Site_Pic5593.jpg

Hi, I’m Tan Bi a Senior 3D modeler of the “Sculpture Learning Plaza” project. Here are some additional images of the models I worked on.

Chameleon.jpgChameleon_05.jpgChameleon_11.jpgcoconutCrab_01.jpgcoconutCrab_02.jpgcoconutCrab_04.jpg

Attachments

Chameleon.jpg

Chameleon_05.jpg

Chameleon_11.jpg

coconutCrab_01.jpg

coconutCrab_02.jpg

coconutCrab_04.jpg

hoatzin_02.jpg

Attachments

pangolin_11.jpgpangolin_13.jpgscorpion_04.jpgTuatara_06.jpgTuatara_07.jpgSF_progress_008b.jpg

Attachments

pangolin_11.jpg

pangolin_13.jpg

scorpion_04.jpg

SF_progress_008b.jpg

Tuatara_06.jpg

Tuatara_07.jpg

That looks like a really fun project to work on!

Wonderful models and detail. So cool to see Zbrush used but also to see them come to life at such a large size compared to most 3d printing projects.

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Yes, these are truly wonderful. It is so nice to see our favorite tool used for educational and scientific purposes.

Would you mind sharing your techniques for the scale details on the panther chameleon, crocodile and marine iguana?

Really lovely work all around. Cheers!

Splendid work. I would also like to see/hear how you did your scale texturing. It is some of the cleanest I have ever seen on ZBC.

Keep up the great work!:+1:

So mind-blowing! Thank you for sharing! You are an inspiration, sir!

These are superb stuff! Brilliant use of 3D. The amount of detail went into each is admirable.

Amazing works ! :+1:

Thanks to Zbrushcentral for the top row. It was a great pleasure to work on this project. A group of amazing artists put this together. I hope some day you guys will go to the SF Zoo see this in person.

I learned sculpting scales from Paul Liaw. He taught me scales floating on top of a wrinkle pattern. For the chameleon, I used spotlight as guide pattern to determine wrinkle direction and scale size. But each scale was hand sculpted. I was so lucky, the 4R7 released during I sculpted this. I was able to subdivide the model to 50 Million polys. It did take a long time, but I like the result very much.

chameleon_progress.jpg

Chameleon_06.jpg

The marine iguana’s body has relativity uniform scale. I decided to finish the head and body in different ways.

iguana_progress.jpg

For the Crocodile, I did study the scale pattern very hard. I had more than enough reference images around me all the time. Sometimes I had to draw guidelines in different color to figure out the wrinkle direction.

croc-park-and-fishing-21-sept-001.jpg

crocodile_04.jpgcrocodile_09.jpg

Attachments

iguana_progress.jpg

crocodile_09.jpg

Chameleon_06.jpg

crocodile_04.jpg

1 Like

Wonderful, Thanks for sharing!

I can only imagine how fun that project (and hopefully future projects!) must be!

There is so much function and form to nature, and your attention to detail and realism is masterful.
I would be so cool to decorate a home or yard with these exotic animal sculptures!

This thread and your works are as amazing as nature itself. :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Quick question if you have the moment: How important do you think a background in traditional sculpture is to creating works such as these?

This is so worthy of a tv show to record the whole process and development to final product. The results are just so stunning!

fantastic and great to see a practical application of Zbrush