ZBrushCentral

Sketching in ZBrush for designers

Jose Cua Art_04.jpg

Hi all my name is Jose Cua, I’m a 2d/3d concept artist. Hi all I’ve learned so much from this community and would like to share something in return. This is a free chapter of my tutorial at my gumroad page. https://gumroad.com/josecua

It explores Zbrushes powerful sketching features that will benefit artists of all disciplines (concept artists, illustrators, graphic designers etc). It covers the basics for those new to zbrush but I also delve into techniques that will inspire even advanced users of the program. I tackle a variety of subjects from character design, faces, environment props, shields, mech’s, and even some graphic design and some jewelry design. I highly recommend taking the full class but for now enjoy this free chapter. Hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/anYhvoJqwVg

Heres the introductory overview as well
https://youtu.be/axD7Pzlpc6Q

On top of the instructional content there is close to 2hrs of demo’s illustrating the process. Hope you guys enjoy this one.
Head over to https://gumroad.com/l/MuaJX to find out more.

Attachments

Jose Cua Art_04.jpg

Heres a small compilation of some of my work over the years, old and new. Hope you like em :slight_smile:

Jose Cua Art_03.jpg

Attachments

Addams family.jpg
portra02it.jpg
sculpt+007.jpg
sculpt+001.jpg
sculpt+09c.jpg
Jose-Cua-Art_08.jpg

Attachments

sculpt+09c.jpg

sculpt+007.jpg

sculpt+001.jpg

Jose-Cua-Art_08.jpg

Addams family.jpg

portra02it.jpg

Aand on to some mechs :slight_smile:
Jose Cua Art_10.jpg
attachment.jpg
head02.jpg
mech+2+colors.jpg
zbrush+robot.jpg

Attachments

attachment.jpg

head02.jpg

Jose Cua Art_10.jpg

mech+2+colors.jpg

zbrush+robot.jpg

A Dream Defenders Maquette I had a chance to work a while back. Such a blast working on this :slight_smile:

jose-cua-002-3d.jpg
jose-cua-001-sketches-02.jpg
jose-cua-001-sketches-01.jpg

Heres a timelapse for a Maquette I had a chance to work on a while back. I started from rough doodles and worked my way to a finished sculpt which was then 3d printed and painted on :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/Hb5QIiL67T0

And heres the turnaround

//youtu.be/vvMfnTID_hM

Attachments

jose-cua-001-sketches-01.jpg

jose-cua-002-3d.jpg

jose-cua-001-sketches-02.jpg

This is really cool!
Neat to see your sketches come to life!

man you got some awesome stuff in your thread.love’em all.:wink:

So in love with these!

Thanks so much for the kind comments all :slight_smile:

Congrats on the toprow achievement! really awesome! reconized your mech from Furio’s workshop sometime ago! well done man! Keep pushing the boundaries!

Love your work. Thanks also for sharing your 2d process in Zbrush. I have experimented with it in the past and loved its versatility. Saw you using in new interesting ways, with the new brushes.
Keep doing the good work and inspiring. Cheers.

Moontimaverick - Thanks so much. Zbrush has some amazing tools for the 2d design process. Its fluidity can rival that of even the professional painting apps when it comes to design. This is just one chapter of the many where I discuss different ways zsketch can be used to design characters faces props and even jewellry. If you are interested feel free to check out the full class in this link Sketching in ZBrush for Designers

SammehSamurai - Hi Sam I remember you from the class! Learned so much from Furio. Hopefully this is just the beginning. Still chugging along late nights with this amazing tool :slight_smile:

Slightly blowing my mind with this thread ! awesome work man thank for the tut!

s

Very cool style on your toon characters. I loved the dream defenders project you worked on it is awesome! I also like some of the other sketches you made for them too. It must have been a tough choice.

I am guessing from the material on the clear blue substance the render is not from Zbrush, is that correct?
If it is from zbrush what material/settings are you using for the comic water? If you dont mind sharing the material it would be cool to try it out.
If not I understand. It reminds me of a green jelly bean material I saw before. That material with some transparency applied and specular turned
up and turned blue may be similar to yours but I am interested to see if I am close at guessing it since it is a really cool looking material.

Love the style of your cartoon characters! Nice little planar touches.

Your hard surface modeling is excellent, too.

Congrats on the top row billing! :slight_smile:

Beautiful works, lovely style and a well deserved TR :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words guys :slight_smile:

Daniel Biggers - Glad you liked the Dream Defenders project. It was indeed a tough choice choosing which sketch to sculpt but in the end we picked what we thought was the most dynamic from all angles. THat clear blue material is actually called Green Glass. You can download it from pixologic material library. What I did was tweak the material properties until i was happy with the direction of the light (this can be adjusted since it is a matcap) and the color. THe transparency setting can be found under the Display properties - Bpr Settings - Bpr transparent shading. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi all I’ve released a breakdown of my compositing and illustration process in zbrush in form of a psd with layers

here are the images and here is a preview of the passes you can disect in the file. Its free

Attachments

wolf render_01.jpg

Attachments

wolf render_01.jpg

Hi Cok3.

Awesome work and techniques. Tahnks for sharing.