Default Any Ideas/Critique?

Hello everyone. I'm sorry if someone's already created a thread like this or if I'm not allowed to ask this type of thing. I'm very new to Sculptris, and I'm in the middle of my first sculpt.

It's still very rough (as I said, work in progress) but he doesn't look quite right to me. Any critique or idea why? Any suggestions on how to go about fixing it? Thank you all so much. I look forward to becoming active in this community.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Push the eyes (and the whole eyes socket with it) inward, they seems like a flat area and the whole face seems flat because of this, look for some reference on the internet, check the form of your skull overall it seems pretty out of shape, even if there isn't one form of skull there is still some average that should make you improve your sculpt by a lot.

Also I suggest you work from very low detail (on the detail slider on the brush) so you keep everything loose and easy to modify with the move brush until you're satisfied with the overall shape of the head, then increasingly add details

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Thank you.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I pushed the eyes back and you're right, he already looks more normal. Unfortunately, profile has never been my strong suit, so I appreciate the advice. I was using a skull as reference, but I didn't have them side by side until just now. Thank you again.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

cool sculpt dear Smiler,

I usually use this way to compare my sculpts with my references photos:

Find some reference photos about the subject that you are working on, (photos from different angles of subject can help a lot);

make a new empty document in Photoshop or Gimp,
    height and width of this document must be equal to height and width of your monitor resolution;

tile your reference images manually in this document and make a single photo containing all your collected photos and save it as a JPG file;

in Sculptris "options" panel, hit :Background" button and choose your own made background file and hit "ok"; if you choose "Save" this new background will become Sculptris' default background.

good luck
    Out beyond the ideas of right-doing or wrong-doing there is a field,... I'll meet you there.
    Jelaluddin Rumi

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thank you, CaptainNemo. I didn't know how to do that with Sculptris. That makes life a lot easier. Sadly, this is only a generic person so I don't have any references aside from general anatomic models. All the same, I may load one of those up to get my proportions right. Thank you again! Once I'm finished with him I think I'll load another image back up and see if that's any better.