ZBrushCentral

The creative learning curve

Hello all,

this is an introductory thread, so, a little about me: I was into art earlier in my life, but lost my passion when I went into late adolescence, though I’d been pretty much drawing for most of my life until that point. I did art classes when I was at school, and even had the opportunity to sculpt in real life (albeit not ecorche sculpting or anything like that!). I had a little artistic ability, but I wasn’t really taught how to draw properly (well, I do have some recollection of perspective, but I think that was only touched upon briefly). I wasn’t properly taught the ‘grammar’ of drawing, if you will. But after some failure, I gave up fine art to focus on creative writing instead.

Years later, someone told me about Sculptris and how easy it was, even if you’ve never sculpted before. That’s when I found out about Zbrush. So I went and did a life drawing class and bought several books on drawing. It wasn’t until then I learnt about the ‘grammar’ of drawing. I even bought a Cintiq and anatomy tools’ male and female figures. I worked out of a book on ZBrush and made some progress on getting the hang of the program. I found the sculpting process in some ways easier than drawing. One book said you didn’t need to know how to draw in order to sculpt, but I’ve been trying to draw regularly though, because I assume some kind of ability to draw makes sculpting much easier. I suppose though like many people I’m very self-critical and in life drawing class I was amazed that anyone liked my drawings. Some of them I think turned out all right, others were disasters.

Sometimes I have doubts but I tell myself I’m too deep into now to give up. I guess really I want to sculpt my own characters rather than rely on other people (which I really can’t at this, let’s be honest), since I plan on making an indie game with Unreal Engine 4. I’ve also been learning music theory at the same time and have even created some compositions with Ableton Live. Sometimes I wonder if I’m cramming too much into my small brain, but I’m too deep into that, too… Maybe learning both will help each other? Perhaps when I’m successful with producing some promotional material and people get interested, I can start delegating rather than trying to do everything myself.

Sorry if that was long winded, I did not mean to give out my life story, but I wonder if anybody else is in the same boat as I am?

I would argue that everyone these days is in the same boat.
I’ve been in this industry 15 years and I don’t think i’ve ever seen a time where there was more to learn (there probably always was but you weren’t subjected to this much information before)

This is probably compounded by the fact that there is such a huge competition and everywhere you look there is an onslaught of amazing work from people. There’s a saying ‘Jack of all trades, master of nothing’. I guess you just have to decide for yourself if you want to learn a little of everything or 1 (or better 2) things very well and try to ignore the rest (or just read it with interest). It’s a gamble in the end.

Just my 2 cents though. These days my head is slightly spinning from the breakneck speed of the industry.

I’m thinking about booking some sculpting workshops in the coming the months (basically life drawing but with clay), and doing a human anatomy workshop. Though I’m having an argument in my head about it: it’ll cost me hundreds to do them. But it might be essential. I also might do a life drawing workshop to brush up on my figure drawing. I’ll also have to check if I’m not doing anything else on those weeks, if I am I suppose I could do them in the autumn term (that’s if they’re running then). I know I should just bite the bullet and just do it, but there’s that nagging part of me that’s resisting!