ZBrushCentral

Deols - 3D Character Art

Hello ZBC!
This is actually my first post here. I’ve been working in ZB for about a year or so now and this is my latest hi res character sculpt based off of a 2D concept from Anthony Jones of Robotpencil called Deols.

This is just the hi res sculpt. I will be evolving it into an in-game asset over the next few weeks.
I’m always open for crits, comments, and/or questions.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Here is a closer look at Anthony’s concept art that I worked from:

More juicy details…

Attachments

Cardinal-WIP_BrendonIsaiahBengtson_small.jpg

deols.jpg

Deols-HiRes-singlefull_BrendonIsaiahBengtson2small.jpg

I’ll be applying some more details and some fixes based on awesome feedback I’ve been getting so stay tuned for those :slight_smile:

Wow, hes looking really cool and unique! His costume feels grounded in the late European 1600’s but with a futuristic twist! Super cool.
I also like how the shapes blend then pop out when individually examined.

Thanks Takai
Had a ton of fun working on this guy. The original concept work was an amazing start. It was really cool to take him to the next level and build on it. I wanted to do kind of a “Hunger Games” futuristic fashion style.
For the arm and under shirt I was really trying to get the feeling that there was two layers, one with the lace pattern and another super thin sheen layer over top so that in some areas you’d lose a little detail and in others see all of it based on curvature.

Really cool.
If you have a little breakdown, would be curious.
Great work.

excelent work

Thanks guys!

Here are a couple of WIP images straight from ZBrush. I found the “See Through” function super useful for quick reference to the concept art. From there I got most of my proportions down then started coming up with details.

1st Block out model - very rough shapes to establish forms
Block out model 1.jpg

Once I was happy with the shapes I started with some color testing with polypaint to see if I was capturing the right mood.
Cardinal head paing WIP_BrendonIsaiahBengtson.jpg

Finished up base colors and overall shapes and forms in ZBrush. My plan is to finish materials using Substance Painter.
Cardinal WIP6_2_BrendonIsaiahBengtson.jpg

This is really good, I like the strong hands, the pose of them in particular and the the gesture. As said before, interesting concept, in what world do you envision this character in terms of “the hunger games”?

Initially he looks like a aristocrat or politician, then at the same time he looks like a spiritual leader of some sort with an extra sense or some sort of external spiritual perception.

Ago
Takai -

Yeah I was thinking more of an aristocrat type, maybe a psycher or mental telepathist.

Here are some of the “Hunger Games” styles I was thinking of when modeling…

10.jpg

Attachments

9.jpg