Default Hi, new to the forum

Hi, Adam here. I just started using sculptris sort of. I had dabbled a bit in the past but nothing major. I am a professional artist, worked in toys, some stuff for the theme parks in Orlando and now I freelance. Digital sculpting is all new to me as I have always worked traditionally, until now. Wanted to share my first try at this.

and here is a WIP of my next attempt. I am starting small, just busts for now until I get used to the format.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batman2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	438723  

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Great stuff.

Got a little more detail done on the Hulk. Anyone have any tips on doing hair?

If you want more on the realistic type of hair, your best option isn't in sculptris. Probably the current best option for free, is blender, you can achieve some decent hair/fur stuff with it, look for tutorials on the web there is some good ones.

If not, I think Maya or 3dsmax, or plug-ins for these programs, are probably the best 'on the market', for hairs, but not free.

Thanks for the tip, I had seen some blender tutorials in my search and will look into it. In the mean time I decided to go back to my roots and go action figure stylized. Taxed the hell out of my machine, finding the balance of triangles to detail is a tricky thing.

Those models feel solid,

with your skills, you should seriously consider zbrush I think (if you haven't already that is )

Despite it's amazing free-flowing sculpting feeling, and what I still consider the best flatten brush around, sculptris show some serious limitation as soon as you want to go details, posing, measuring,

For details, you can try to rely on the bumpmap later down the chain, but bumpmaps are ok for very high frequencies stuff but not for 'details' in general though.

If sculptris was still seriously developped, I think it would've given zbrush a hard time, but unfortunately (for the competition at least) it's more in a statis so far.

Oh I have considered Zbrush, it's just not in the budget just yet. I was messing with painting and textures and I guess you need a high triangle count to get decent mapping because wow it looks bad.

I don't think it depend of your triangles, because as far as I know, sculptris use texture based painting and not per vertex one, so size of the texture is the issue (only 2k texture, so if your model is a full figure or eve nif you want lot of detail on a bust, it's a bit short for serious stuff)