ZBrushCentral

looking for guidance

been fooling around with zbrush for almost a yr now
pretty familiar with the interface, payed for the digital tutors for a month
learned some things

long term goal is jewelry design,organic shapes, tomas wittlesbach wannabe basically,
j/k
even if im the only one who wears the stuff, ill be super happy with that

now that I feel familiar enough with the software im lacking direction
is there any tutors, exercises, advice our there for what I want to do,

Run the program, daydream sketch something to model, get something on the canvas to work with :wink:
Seriously, play with it, go with the flow. Many techniques can be used.

I’m sorta in the same boat as you. I’ve been watching like a hawk for the next time he teaches a class and that time has finally come. He’s got a free webinar this week that’s the intro. Woot.
http://info.uartsy.com/wittelsbach-webinar-nov2014.html

WOOOOOOW THANKS SO MUCH BEAN
I woulda never even know about this

Just curious were you ever working in production anywhere, I found that when i worked with a company and a team i was opened up to so many different techniques of thinking and approaching work and all that. Getting a job and being under that pressure to get results is actually that got me creating stuff and not having me resist on making my art perfect, if this is the case with you then just a suggestion go get into an environment that will make you grow and i bet the change that you want will happen a little faster

ive never worked anywhere ANYONE had even heard of zbrush let alone any artistic environment
the closest I came to was a job listing here but they weren’t interested even in a apprentice (free labor) type thing
sucked but what can you do
so my self is so far my only motivation, and ive discovered the UARTSY where there are courses offered for exactly what im trying to learn to do, ive already taken a few and learned a good deal which is exciting itself

for me this biggest hurdle for the near future is not having my OWN creativity, for the time being anyways
im no artist, but I have such a desire to be one, for no other reason than to be able to craft something of my of creativity
im just happy that I can take classes from the guy whos work I admire most, for the time being

Beneath the surface- Are you join gin the class? We are in week 1 now and I have to say that I really like it. The class is taught in prerecorded videos by Tomas and there is a course mentor, Louis who has been really awesome with answering my endless newbie questions. It’s literally the perfect thing for me to be doing right now. I’ve been so frustrated trying to parse out how to use the techniques from a monster tutorial for jewelry.

Marcelino- Yes I have worked in production: film production as a costume designer, stylist and some random art department gigs but I haven’t done that sort of work for a number of years. I agree that working in a production environment is really good for a creative. In the case of film I always say it’s like going into the army for a creative, everything is truly broken down into a system and you need to learn and be 100% responsible for your little piece of the machinery.

I moved to Shanghai about 8 years ago and opened a merchandising office with a partner. We served as agents for companies in the US that wanted to use Chinese factories. It was a great experience and we did some really cool projects but it was a lot of work. I sold my share of the business and decided to take some time off to have a baby. Now my son is almost 3 and I would like to get back into designing and manufacturing so I’m really excited about learning 3D. It’s been a real challenge because up until 6 months ago I had never used any of this software. So I’m super excited to be in this class even if it means watching and re-wathcing hours of tutorials in order to be able to accomplish 10 minutes of real work.

One humble step at a time :wink:

Im starting off by taking the first 4 cheaper classes just to start from the beginning
also I don’t have the 800 for the masterclass ATM
but I asked support and they said you can sign up for it even after its started
just wont get the full benefits of talking to the instructors live
I also like that you have the option of 4 200 dollar payments
200 a month is the only way ill be able to take it

i though it didnt start till the 6th of Decembert though

I think Dec 6th might be the first live session. Right now they have some pre-course materials, brushes, ring sizing etc up for download. And then another lecture that’s like an overview of Tomas’ sculpting process. Then the first week’s class is up and we have an assignment to sculpt a basic ring so they can gage what level we are at.

I talked to Tomas awhile ago and asked him what I should do to prepare for the class because I was worried that I didn’t have enough technical experience to take the class. He said work on your ideas. And actually this has been the best advice. I spent a few weeks working on mock ups of designs in photoshop and by hand sketching. It’s been awesome because I don’t have to spend energy on the idea, I just have to focus on learning the techniques. I can show the course mentor my idea and he’s been helping figure out the steps to make it happen. So even if it takes you awhile to get the cash to do this, start brainstorming on ideas.

I have a badass pinterest board dedicated to jewelry ideas. I also subscribe to a hundreds of other people’s feeds on jewelry. Just by looking at thousands of designs every week, I’m training my eye to know what’s original and what’s not. So there’s a lot you can do to keep going even if you don’t take the class now.

I got the email to attend the live webinars
guess you don’t HAVE to be in the masterclass for these

Awesome. I think Zbrushworkshops/ Uartsy offers a really nice service. I look forward to seeing what you do :slight_smile:

I was thinking about your comments about feeling a little stuck on the creativity aspect. That’s a hard one because it requires internal discipline and honestly the world doesn’t care about the visions dancing in our heads as long as we don’t act too crazy. Ha. But the fact that you have the desire to be creative means it’s in there somewhere, you just have to figure out how to unleash it. Here’s some of what I do. Hope its helpful:

1. I look at A LOT of Art and Design. I try to figure out Why it is I like what I like. Is it the technique? Is it the color? Is it the social commentary? I spend a lot of time comparing what I think is great work to other works I feel aren’t as good and I try to figure out Why?

2. Think about what you want to say that is different that what other people have already said. For me it’s not enough to just look at a master’s work and make something similar. I think all great art has a social commentary aspect that creates some larger meaning. I’m not saying we all have to be Banksy or Damien Hirst and make that the point of our work but do some thinking about what your piece of work adds to the Great Conversation. Have a reason beyond, “I think it looks cool”.

3. If your Muse starts talking, you need to grab a pen. Doesn’t matter what time of day or where you are. If you ignore your Muse she’ll get pissed and won’t grace you with her presence for awhile. It’s just the way it is. Making the unreal, real is slippery work and not for the lazy or weak of mind.

4. Figure out a way to mock up your ideas quickly. I like grabbing pieces of imagery and collaging them in photoshop. Then I print out my ideas and reference images and tape them to wall behind my computer. I find it’s hard to give up or lose focus on your work when it’s right there on the wall.

5. Don’t give up. I’ve been around long enough to see some beyond talented people give up and abandon their art. I have also seen some people that I thought we kind of mediocre become wildly successful because they kept going. I read this article recently and loved it. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/23/magazine/100000003191865.app.html?_r=0

Being an artist is a life long commitment. We owe it to ourselves to keep putting in the work and developing our skills and thoughts. Hitting the end of your life and realizing you never put the work in to realized your dreams would completely and totally suck. Don’t give up, don’t waste time, get to work- Ok I’m opening Zbrush now :wink:

Thanks for all your input its why I created the thread

I have such a desire to do sculpting
I am even taking on another form of art as a hobby
leather tooling
my grandfather was pretty good with it
I still have the belt he made me as a child
I still have his gun belts that he tooled himself
I do not have however the rifles he hand carved elephants and deers into the stock
shame I didnt take to this well after hes no l9nger around and have someone close to learn from

another hindrance,not excuse
is the time I have
work 60plus hrs weekly
2 kids both under 3

other hobbies/ interests I desire just as much to purse
getting good at pool is a goal
Taking kickboxing classes is high on my list
zbrush
now the leather?

Soon im going to have to sit down and see to try and find a schedule where I could possibly fit my hobbies in around work and family time

1 day a week is simply not enough for me
I might just have to make a rotating schedule
1 hobby a day with whatever time I have

ive thought to bring my laptop to work but a 30 min lunch simply aint even scratching the surface
the time to unpack it
open set up the tablet

have you posted any projects to uartsy yet?
im still working on my band to get it where im happy before I put an image up

update-so ive taken all of the cheap, non master classes on uartsy for jewelry, and while I have learned a good deal I don’t feel im progressing like id want, Im having trouble getting going, a project, methods anything, non of those cheap courses made me want to invest in the masterclass as of yet and im feeling like I need to move on past uartsy and look at other sources, perhaps even a tutor, I feel id have more success if I had a course with projects that I need to complete, and some one on one help with a instructor, ive done digital tutors but id wasn’t doing much for me, please chime in with your thoughts experiences, advice etc etc

Hey! Sorry I missed your last message. It’s been a little hectic on this end. I was traveling internationally throughout December and then had to move in late Jan. I’m also pregnant and have a 3 year old. So yeah I feel your pain about not having enough time to devote to the jewelry design. :confused: I’m just getting back to it this week after a serious hiatus. I’m so thankful that we are allowed to repeat the class for free otherwise I would have be seriously stressed out.

I don’t know if you get the same support when you buy the individual lessons versus the master course but the people at Uartsy have been extremely helpful to me as a Master Class student. I have been able to get helpful replies via email and even do a few Skype sessions with the course mentor, Louis. For me, that’s been a really huge help because we can share a screen via Skype. He could see what I was trying to do and show me a better way.

I found I got the most out of the class by watching the videos and then starting my project. I do a good work session and write down questions or problems as I run into them. Then I’d check in w/ Louis to figure out how to proceed. I’m so glad I have been keeping a log of Q&A because it has been saving me so much frustration as I’m getting back to work.

The critiques are helpful and interesting. Tomas clearly knows how to make kick ass jewelry. But as far as being able to actually do the work myself, I got the most milage out of the one on one with the mentor. So I would definitely try contacting the course mentor and see what they can do for you. They seem like really nice people and I’m sure they will help.

My real name is Karen Hartman you can see a few things that I have posted. If you ask me again in a few weeks/ months I’ll update you again. I do plan on prototyping my designs with a jeweler when they are ready. So I can give you feedback on how well the course prepared me for that.

OK… time to get to work!

“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. … No artist is pleased. [There is] no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others”
Martha Graham

Love this quote.

ok karen I seen you actually Commented on one of my last projects

https://www.uartsy.com/critcanvas/21905/popup?width=1200&height=800&iframe=true&destination=user/7550

I hope you get all the sculpting in while you can before your child arrives
I believe id get ahead better with a few private lessons as well but im not able to afford the master class
I have been posting on here looking for a tutor latley hopefully someone will pop up
im not familiar with sculpting at all so get a project started is a bit tough without have a knowledge on building up forms
very familiar with many cad/cam’s but actual sculpting is very new to me

Don’t know if you have seen thishttp://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?166374-du-Rose-Gallery but it may be interesting, if only for inspiration.