Default Recommendations Surface Pro 3 or Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga ?

Surface Pro 3 uses N-trig but considering a previous tread, is that not a problem for zBrush any more?
    The Yoga on the other hand has Intel GPU. Is that a problem?

Witch one would you recommend?

Don't own either but from what I heard and have seen, the Yoga looks like a solid machine capable of turning into a sturdy laptop or a tablet and it uses a wacom digitizer too I believe. The Surface Pro is N-trig so don't know how well that works with Zbrush.. Its ripple effect on screen and flimsy keyboard is another deal breaker for me

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Surface pro works fine for zbrush. The only thing I don't like is windows 8 which I find hard to use compared to 7. N-trig isn't a big issue I don't have to push hard to sculpt, since I adjust the tablet senstivity settings in zbrush. I wish there was larger fonts but smaller icons for fitting everything on a 12" screen. Creating a decent UI is key to getting the most out of zbrush.

Default Surface, Yoga or Wacom?

Hmm.
    Checked prices a bit more.
    Lenovo with i7 256Gb 8Gb and Surface Pro 3 i5 256Gb 8Gb are about the same an in my range.
    If I streach it i could go for a wacom companion 256Gb (after all I calculated that the coming 10 years I vill spend 1 year on a train).
    Would it be worth $250 more to get it. I suppose it matches the i5 even if its a generation older.
    Main reason would be to get expression keys and an inch more.
    When travelling holding the pad in left hand and knee i cant figure out how to work without expression keys.
    How do i operate the alt,shift,ctrl keys?

I use a wedge keyboard which is smaller and wireless compared to the surface cover keyboard. Haven't tried sculpting while traveling. I like to use a table to sculpt personally.

Wacom companion charges you 75 bucks to ship the unit to repair, and it often needs repairs from what I have read. THe power charger tends to not work, and the screen scratches easier than a surface. The next version will probably be better, but I doubt wacom customer service will be much better.

Lenova I have heard good things about. I'm just not sure how I would like the keyboard being flipped upside down.

New Member Follow User Gallery

I bought a Surface Pro 3 last week and it is awesome for Zbrush. The way I got around the lack of expression keys is by using a Razor Orbweaver gaming keypad. You can program each of the many buttons with keystrokes and macros and works great. It is very comfortable to use and a lot smaller than using a full keyboard. Another thing I didn't realized is that the Surface 3 Pen's button closest to the tip acts as an ALT in Zbrush

hey Gary what are the specs for your Surface Pro 3? Have you done much intensive modelling on Zbrush? and other 3d modeling programs?

I'm torn between the Surface Pro 3, Thinkpad Yoga S1 or just building a desktop machine until there are more updates to the tablet in the coming months.

I'm checking the prices for a Thinkpad Yoga S1 on the lenovo store and at the Microsoft store... Anyone know why the unit with the same specs is cheaper at the Microsoft store?

New Member Follow User Gallery

I bought the i5 version with 4gb memory and 128gb storage. I have not done extensive work in Zbrush on it yet but as a quick test I managed to get a mesh up to around 5 million polys and it was still very responsive, impressive for a tablet :-P

I did not like what I heard about Wacom quality and service so I dropped that one.

Hard decision between Thinkpad Yoga and Surface Pro 3.
    They are best on slightly different things.
    So what made the difference in the end was that I could find the Surface Pro 3 I5 256Gb 8Gb in store.

So I bought one yesterday.
    After installing updated driver for the pen i have nice pressure sensitivity in zBrush

Just have to decide on 'Keyboard'. I will probably return the surface cover keyboard.
    They only had the expensive one in store and I wont type much. I will go for the cheaper version, mainly for protection and a small bluetooth keyboard or the recomended Razor keyboard.

So far only thing that gives me a headaches is having to use windows 8.

I have the i7 256 gig here. Haven't really pushed zbrush but I get about 6+ hours in it, when I lower the brightness to 50% and use a brighter layout to see everything. Can't see the transparent button though for some reason, and the icons are pretty small. I wish there were more options for button sizes and font sizes in zbrush for tablets.

I will most likely buy a surface pro 3 for completely different reasons at work and not for me personally, but I will install Zbrush on it and test it out, because i'm really curious about it.

If I like it, i'll get one for myself.

I'm close to making this switch myself.

I currently use a Surface Pro 2 (fabulous machine)

Having had a play with the SP3 the pen was a little different heavier for sure but nothing I didn't think I could get used to.

The real issue with the Surface Pro 3 for me is not having access to Art Dock, for me this makes ZBrush almost unusable.

And while I'm sure the Obrweaver works like a charm the idea of spending £100 for functionality I used to enjoy for free sticks in the craw.