ZBrushCentral

3D priniting prototype of cool 3d designs

Dear forum members,

I would like to ask some of your honest expert advice. I love the artwork out here and I really admire all the talent. I was wondering if you also produce your design with 3D printing. I’m in the midst of starting a multi vendor store (the plan is ready :slight_smile: ) where designers can sell prototypes of their creative 3D designs without the troubles of printing, inventory, distribution etc… . I would really love some feedback from you guys before I really decide to start up. I hope you can help me with questions like:

• Why would you decide to sell/buy at such a shop?
  • What can I do better then the already existing print services?
  • What do you expect from a multivendor shop.

Thank you very much for the help and support.

Hello,

Where are you looking to base your store? (i.e. US, UK, Europe etc.) I’ve seen this sort of thing in my local market (UK), but I have never seen many customers using it. Seen more success where people are using their skills to customise things like phone cases.

Your market location for me is an important factory when answering your questions. I think culture makes a difference.

Thanks for responding.

It will be a webshop, so I have the room to target the countries I want. I’m based in the Netherlands but that will be a bit to small to focus on. So I would like to focus on the English countries like UK and VS, but also countries near me like Germany and Scandinavian countries.

What do you think?

Okay, so if it’s not a retail store this leads me to the following questions:

Why would I chose to use your store and not big established companies already offering to sell designs for a cut in the profits?
Why would ‘Joe Bloggs’ shop at your store rather than an established rapid manufacturer outlet?

Shapeways immediately spring to mind: http://www.shapeways.com/
Amazon also sell 3D prints: http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8323871011

If you think you’ve got your ‘unique selling point’ (USP) sorted then there is no reason why your idea wont work, but make sure you have a good USP!!!

Fast and efficient, these are what I want in 3D printing services. I asked Shapeways to print me a mini helicopter for my son, but it took them weeks to make. It would also be better if clients can send/choose their own materials.