New Member Follow User Gallery

Default GoZ issue with Max and Maya

Hello everybody,

I've been following using this forum for a week now and your help was very useful.
    But I encountered a problem and I cannot find any solution on internet.

Here it goes :
    I have a mesh in 3ds max 2013 with textures on it.
    I export it to zbrush thanks to GoZ.
    It appears in ZBrush but without any textures.
    I checked the output from 3Ds and the message "No diffuseMap" appears.

I've tried with a simple mesh (box) with only one texture and i have the same issue.

PS : I tried to import the mesh in maya (as FBX) and send it to zbrush, same problem, neither texture loaded nor imported.

Thanks for your help,

Nono.

Hello again,

I don't like to up my post but it's actually an annoying issue and it's actually blocking my work.

I asked a friend of mine and he is having the same issue.

I don't know if I'm in the right section of this forum to ask any help, but I would like to know if this is a known issue or I messed up something.

Sorry for the trouble,

Nono.

I tried to import the mesh in maya (as FBX) and send it to zbrush, same problem, neither texture loaded nor imported.
    …..Em Mikky…..

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Are you sure GoZ is supposed to send over textures ??? Textures (either in max/maya) are maps plugged into materials, and zBrush materials and max/maya materials are two completely different things.

I think maybe you could find a way to send vertex colors as polypaint (as I think I remember there's an option to get polypaint as vertex color in xNormal) but even that I'm not sure it can be done.

You can still load the texture manualy ( thanks mr obvious )

I can be wrong here, I would like to know if I am so correct me if I'm wrong.
    ZAdjustor Plugin for ZBrush : adjust Draw Size, Focal Shift and Z/RGB Intensity by simply moving your mouse/stylus while holding down a hotkey, just like in photoshop, mudbox, mari, maya... Many options.
    ZAdjustor0.92 for ZBrush 4R7/4R6 32bits OsX - (OSx version for ZB4R7 64bits coming soon)
    KeuPon is Jean-Julien JUPINET

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to hear some voices in this cave (post), I've been losing hope

When I was looking in the GoZ maxscript file, I could see there is some code for map (textureMap, normal/bump map, displacement map) but normal and displacement have been commented.

In the function "ExportMaxObject_xmax", there is :

local diffMapProp = undefined
    if (isProperty maxObj.m_node.material "diffuseMap") then getProperty maxObj.m_node.material "diffuseMap"
    if (diffMapProp != undefined) then (
    WriteLong file 8
    local count = diffMapProp.count+1
    WriteLong file count
    WriteString file diffMapProp
    writePaddingData file count
    format "diffuseMap : % \n" maxObj.m_node.material.diffuseMap
    )
    else
    (
    format "NO diffuseMap \n"
    )

so you can see that it looks for the diffuse map but it does not store the result.
    I tried to change the code by taking example from the commented code of normalMap but it didn't work either.

By using GoZ from 3ds max to ZBrush, it keeps the materialID (polygroups in ZBrush) so i've been thinking textures would be applied to the mesh.

I know i can do it manually but if I send lots of meshes with lots of material (or multimaterial), this will be annoying and users will lose lots of time.

I'm working on a pipeline where a mesh can be sent several times between Max and Zbrush to create Morph for animation purposes.
    If they have to set the textures each time they send the mesh ... I don't tnik they will like it.

I think, maybe it would then be better to just send one subtool/mesh at a time to edit it, letting the other unchanged stay in the stack... But I understand your particular workflow doesn't allow it, right ? Maybe if you would describe more in depth what you are doing exactly, so people who may have encountered similar issue may be able to tell how they figured it out. Even if they didn't I think having a practical example could help a lot readers to come up with an idea to solve it, and sometimes when you're always the nose stuck on the problem you don't always have the needed hindsight, and then someone come out with a so simple solution... (we all know that I think)

Are all meshes the same texture ??? Because if they are you have a simple solution with nyx's plugin (nicks tool's) that you can find here (I put the links below), it's a very extensive toolbox with a lot of uses, check on his page for details, you have for instance assign a texture to all subtools, and lot more... (Really a nice toolbox to have on your zBrush shelf, so by the way thank you Nick Miller !!!)

You can find it here (with a clean description of all functionalities):
    http://www.artofnickmiller.com/nickstools.html
    Or here on zBrush central :
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...-Zbrush-Plugin!

Hope it helps !!!

(Sorry for my messy english here)
    ZAdjustor Plugin for ZBrush : adjust Draw Size, Focal Shift and Z/RGB Intensity by simply moving your mouse/stylus while holding down a hotkey, just like in photoshop, mudbox, mari, maya... Many options.
    ZAdjustor0.92 for ZBrush 4R7/4R6 32bits OsX - (OSx version for ZB4R7 64bits coming soon)

I thought of one possible solution : you could name the subtools correctly then make a very simple zScript which would then process all your subtools and put on them a texture with the same name.
    Like so :
    _ You have subtools like : tool001, tool002, tool03, ..., ..., ...
    _ You have all the corresponding textures in a directory, each one named accordingly : tool001_D.tif, tool001_B.tif, tool002_D.tif, ..., ..., ...

When you press the button of your zScript, it takes tool001, loads tool001_D.tif which it puts in the texture slot, then tool001_B.tif in the displacement slot, then it goes on with tool002, etc...

And in maya you make a small mel script (or maxscript if you're in max) and you're done.

Should be a very easy zScript. Don't be affraid of zScripting even if you're not a very good coder, because it is a very easy scripting language, kinda macro-like, meaning in fact most of it is like writing "push button [next subtool]; push button [load texture]; ...". In fact you can even record a macro inside of zbrush and save it to a zscript file to have a very good starting point. And even the mel/maxscript counterpart should be quite easy to code, but it is another country here

Hope it helps !!!

Cheers and have a nice zDay !!!