New Member Follow User Gallery

Default modelling smoke...

Hi everyone!

I'm doing a project where I would like to model thick, tendril-like smoke wrapping around an object. I haven't seen any pics of modelled smoke in my travels. I don't have much of a modelling/sculpting background so what I have been getting so far is warped looking tentacles.

How would you go about it?

Any help much appreciated!

Use the grab tool and pull.Then smooth tool.Then scale tool.Then rotate tool to shape the tenticle.That is how i would do it.Have fun and make a cool monster.That is what i am doing.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Honestly, I can't say I've ever thought about that one before...lol. Would make for an interesting challenge here.

I think the best way that I'd go about it would be to find numerous pictures of the exact kind of smoke I was looking for. Though if that didn't help out for how you sculpt, I think the second best way would be to find some good comic art that depicts smoke in a similar fashion. Mainly because they tend to use a more solid area (because of the medium) to portray the smoke which is how it would end up being in sculpted form. As it's usually pretty stylized I'd think that it would make for some fairly great smoke. Now I'm going to have to test that one out one of these days.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks for the feedback...

Today I went hunting for good pics of smoke and used them as brushes. I'm trying to mask them so they push outwards and don't have a square around them....seems that indenting works fine. Hmmmmm...

You'll also get good results if you play with the texture & alpha on your modeled smoke. You'll definitely want some transparency on the end result.