ZBrushCentral

black lines appearing on the best render in ZBrush 4R6

Can anyone tell me what is happening here. These black lines appear sometimes on the best render. Doesn’t happen all the time, but sometimes. All the other render passes are OK in the BPR renders. Anyone else had this happen?

Attachments

10R8 best.jpg

May be involved with settings here and your system…something to do with multi threading? I’ve seen it on the screen but haven’t looked at a rendered and saved file for signs of it…http://docs.pixologic.com/reference-guide/preferences/performance/

Thanks Doug, I’ll check that out, it actually doesn’t happen often, but I’ve seen these black lines occur before, and usually if I move things a bit they go away. I like to use all the BPR render passes and the best render to composite in Photoshop. It’s annoying when I’ve saved all the BPR passes and then do a best render and this happens, I have to start again and move it a bit. I’m trying running the best render first, and then the BPR, I’ll see if that helps. Seems strange that it only happens rarely.

This may be useful to you>> http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?163233-one-click-export-or-BPR-renderpass-images-Answered&p=907348&viewfull=1#post907348

I have done a multi thread test, and it’s recomended for my system, and I did an multi thread optimization which improved it 5%. I’m running the best render first now and haven’t seen lines, but I had moved things around to a similar angle. I’m wondering if it might be that running the best render after the BPR in the exact same position might cause a problem. I did click the image to get back to the preview before running the best render. I’m using 3 lights, in the standard way. Main, fill and rim. Doc size is around 3000 pixels wide.

I’m wondering if it might be that running the best render after the BPR in the exact same position might cause a problem. I did click the image to get back to the preview before running the best render.

This might make sense…
I get anomalies between BPRs if the camera isn’t moved between renders.

Good reason to use the axis plugin, or ZappLink views to be able to get back to a render view.

I personally don’t use Best. I use BPR; Found this too>> http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?187757-BPR-vs-Best-Render-Works-Fine-vs-Turns-Model-Completely-Black&p=1095534&viewfull=1#post1095534

Doug, I agree the BPR is the heart of it, but I like to have the best render to composite in Photoshop too, it looks good to me when I do that. So far, after doing the best render first, I haven’t seen any black lines. Like I said, it’s rare that this happens, I was wondering if anyone else had seen these black lines, I have seen them once in a while.

If you do a Best Render followed immediately by BPR then the Best Render is included in the BPR. Just a suggestion that may simplify things for you.

Hi Marcus; When you say immediately do you mean without clicking to get back to the preview, doing the BPR right over the best render? I did that and it went completely black with some dotted lines here and there, but mostly black. Also I just had the black lines (even worse) on a BPR render, which freaked me out. It’s definitely havin g to do with the fiber mesh. I had turned off colourize and was changing the colour and did a render without filling the object (hair)and when I did a BPR the lines showed up. I clicked the colorize button did another BPR and it was OK thankfully…there does seem to be some anomalies that show up relating to fibermesh. The other strange thing that has happened twice now, is the eyes getting out of wack and I hadn’t touched them. I was working on this model and moved it so the light was reflecting in the eyes and I noticed the highlight was in different place on each eye. Somewhere along the line the eyes had moved or something. I’ve had this happen before. I had saved a previous version and it was fine, guess I had done something, but I didn’t touch the eyes as far as I know. Anyone had that happen?

Yes, that’s what I meant. If you click to get the Preview render then the Best render can’t be incorporated into the BPR. But I hadn’t appreciated that the problem is obviously related to Fibermesh. I think this is something you will have to work around. The Best render is a legacy renderer which is only really useful for particular materials effects and 2.5D paintings. It was never designed to give best results with Fibermesh because Fibermesh is much more recent. BPR is by far the best option for rendering 3D models.

I’ve no idea what’s happening with the problem with the eyes.

Thanks Marcus for all your help. Yes I’m getting better renders with the BPR, starting to understand it better. In this particular sculpt I stoped using symmetry some time back, so when the eyes go out of symmetry I find it hard to get them back. Also I’ve found that bring the preview image into the mix is interesting. ZBrush is a fantastic program and Pixologic is the most generous software company ever, but it’s a bit quirky, at least until one figures out a good work-flow. The one thing I’ve noticed most is that as it gets more complex it gets easier and easier to use at the same time. Good going Pixologic nobody does it better. Very nice community here too…thanks muchly…rog.:slight_smile:

You’re welcome, kahshe, glad you are having fun!