Member Follow User Gallery

Video Ollie Shuteye and the Spooky

"Ollie Shuteye and the Spooky"- done in Zbrush - modeling, polypainting, lighting , rendering and some final editing in Photoshop.
    I hope you like it.

Shikazochno! Shikazochno! ))) Viden ogromny opyt i utonchennost. Molodec!

New Member Follow User Gallery

Very nice.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Thumbs up

Excellent work! Very nice!

Bravo! what a touching scene.
    love it!

Thank you very much for the comments, everyone! I really appreciate it!

Wow! Brilliant work, Kate!

thank you very much for the comment, Digitalmax!

I am going to share with you here my experience regarding the making of “Ollie Shuteye and the Spooky” in ZBrush. I hope that you will learn something interesting!
    The idea about this work sprang from my son’s stunned look, when I showed him an ant…Such a simple thing! Life is the most real inspiration! And so to my mind came up Ollie Shuteye, who with his little flashlight is showing to the Spooky the land where the children live!!!...
    Chapter 1 Modeling:
    Step 1 - Sketch
    In the beginning everything starts with a sphere. So that’s what I started from as well. The most convenient part in the initial modelling for me turned out to be dynamesh in zbrush. I have two stages of work while modelling. The first one I called the sketch. During this stage I modelled the silhouette as a whole and the basic form of the character or the composition. Once I’d done the sketch, I chose, while they were still in dynamesh, to change their poses, because they wouldn’t be rigging in any other animation program. After their composition was ready as a whole, I moved to the second stage.fig001

Step 2 - Dynamesh/Zremesh
    Holding the separate parts on separate layers, I duplicated each one of them (for example the head only), after which the second mesh was Zremesh to the lowest possible level of resolution of the polygons. Subdividing it at least to level 5, I left only two objects included – the original one / dynamesh / and the new one with the new retopology and on each one of the levels from 1 to 5 I gave a project from the dinamesh object to the object with the new retopology through the use of NoiseMaker and FiberMesh.Fig002

Step 3 NoiseMaker
    By using NoiseMaker in ZBrush one can achieve amazing results with an excellent effect and fast ‘modelling of a given surface through the use of Alphas. In ZBrush Centra there are good enough Alphas. Just experiment with the slides. Use a particular Noise and then add on top of it another with a different size and mix them. You will see that experimenting could result in various interesting things. If you don’t like any of them, just remove it and add a new thing. And don’t forget before that to make UV in the UV master in ZBrush. Thus Noises, which you add with the UV button included in NoiseMaker, will spread out evenly along the mesh.Fig003

Step 4 FiberMesh
    After placing Mask on the spots where you want to have Fibers, I personally always start with the basic Fibers from ZBrush, after which I experiment with the slider button, as the main parameters which I use are ***1089;***1072; Lightbox/Fibers/Modifiers/-maxFibers,Length,coverage,gravity. When I find that something is interesting I save it and make a separate lear with the next fiber. Thus the hairs become various and interesting. In nature there is nothing identical. In the same way by using FiberMesh are made the fireflies and the dots. There are certain, more specific settings there though.Fig004

The same is with the grass. With Zremesh don’t forget that, there’s a very fast and good rounding of the forms. As well as with the deformation tab Relax/Polish/Smooth.
    Step 5 Bump/Alpha
    I use it very often for the modelling of the bump of the given Mesh Alpha, created by photo reference, as well as ready brushes from ZBrush.
    By changing the button of the brush from freehand to drag, don’t forget to separate the different parts of a particular Mesh into groups. By having groups, it will always be easier to work with modelling as well as with texturing.Fig005

Chapter 2 Textures and polypainting
    Step 6 polypainting
    I very rarely use a photo when creating the texture. I prefer that almost everything is polypainting painted by hand. If I use photographs, then I always reduce the brush’s opacity and add Alpha, so that only certain effects could be seen. With polypainting, I stick to the nature’s basic principle – everything has its primary colour. Having applied it, almost every time the work with layers, which I can control as I reduce the freckles on Ollie Shuteye’s face or increase them. I use Alpha almost always as a type of dotting, spots or small veins in order to create the skin effect. In the end, I slightly sum the things up by using a common colour with very light intensity.Fig006
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fig006.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	432.2 KB 
ID:	434081  

Step 7 Mask
    The main way in which I use polypainting is to use Cavity mask or peaks and valleys mask. In nature, what is concaved always has in itself a darker colour or ‘dirt’. That’s why I use darker shades. I turn the mask and on the highest part I apply the lightest shade. I often use free hand brush for painting, plus using Alpha in turns from dots to veins, as I put them in separate layers, so that I can have control over their intensity.Fig007

The main thing, which is important is that whatever you are to do with polypainting, first you have to collect enough reference, to research what is most typical for it, what it looks like and to over colour it, as in the cartoon, so that the human eye will be deceived that this is something almost real and not just to ‘stick’ on it pure photographs.
    Chapter 3 Lighting and rendering:
    Step 8 LightCap
    I use both kinds of lighting: Main lighting and LightCap. When I create new light in the LightCap, if I want for example to make the eye surface react, which is transparent, on diffuse properties of the lamp I set shadows and the opacity at zero, so that there won’t be influence over the Mesh, in specular I change for the different lamps Aperture/Falloff/Strength, as I load Alpha and Textures. In the background of the LightCap panel I loaded image, which I painted in advance. Do experiment! Interesting things come out.Fig008

Step 9 Materials
    As material I usually load Skin Shade 4, as well as the standard materials. In ZBrush there is enough variety. With the render I used BPR Filters. There are terrific possibilities and the correction in Photoshop is almost unnecessary. The material on the eyes and the lips is toy plastic with black color. After that you need to configure some settings, so the rendering will make them transparent.Fig.9

The main thing in everything is one – yes, technique is always a technique! It is learned. But the most important thing is to put you heart in it, to breath your spirit into the creatures that you create. After all they are the children of your fantasy!!! Be the creator of your world…with love!Fig10

Regards,
    Ekaterina Pushkarova - Katerin

lovely work,

Excellent work and detail, and very imaginative.

Thank you very much for the breakdown!

This is sooooo fantastic, I want to cry, lol, love this so much, well done.

And thank you for sharing the breakdown.

Very nice work! Can't wait to see more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast