ZBrushCentral

Graphics tablets for ZBrush

Hi guys.
I want to buy a tablet for ZBrush and Photoshop on a Windows 7 machine.
I know Wacom is like the standard, but they seem overpriced compared to other graphics tablets manufacturers.
I am currently comparing the Wacom Intuos Medium, Huion H610 Pro and Monoprice (#6814 or #10594).
What do you think? Should I go the tried and tested (and pricier) route and buy the Wacom or should I get one of the others and save a lot?
None of these products are in stores in my country so I just can’t go somewhere and try them; I have to import them.

Just ordered a Huion H610 Pro. I returned Intuos Pro Medium, was missing the wireless kit so I just didn’t bother trying it…The price is a joke. I was looking for any reason to return it…got a perfect reason. Intuos Pro Large really is not worth more than $150 let alone the regular Intuos models are a complete rip off.

I use a Bamboo Small 1st gen, still works…but it is just too sensitive, cramps my hand, and have to keep redrawing lines…it’s not fun at all. Stay away from small tablets…even for beginners…as it will add artificial difficulty possibly screwing with your learning curve.

I’ll let you know how it goes with the Huion.

Thanks for your reply; I was thinking no one would ever reply. I found a good Youtube review of the Huion here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5HRyxhAU5M. It seems to work well with Photoshop and ZBrush which means Wacom just overprice their tablets.
Please let me know how it performs once you get it.
Again, thanks.

…double post

Got it in earlier today, so far so good. Sensitivity is great in Zbrush and Photoshop. Plenty of room makes drawing sculpting lines much more precise. If this thing keeps working like it does then screw Wacom. I am still amazed how good it is for the price.

The build quality is pretty good. Now some people can get broken tablet or stylus pen, you can just exchange/return it no problem withing 30 days on Amazon if Amazon ships it. After 30 days Huion will take care of it for you. There is mostly positive reviews but there is some few possible faulty units. I have a good tablet so far :slight_smile:

A few problems with people not knowing how to install and use tablet correctly and not the tablet itself.
First remove other tablet drivers first then install Huion drivers after you restart.
Plug in tablet. Computer will detect, you are good to go.
Then mess with settings by selecting icon in the corner.
I set the pressure sensitivity to one less than max for a good feel that is not so sensitive to activate.
I had to allow Administrator permission to access edit keys and active area options.

http://blog.huiontablet.com/forums/topic/new-windows-driver20140415 - Latest Tablet Driver 4/15/2014

16 programmable soft keys you can toggle on or off to use the entire active tablet area. Soft keys are only activated with pen not touch.

8 buttons on the side, good solid buttons.

The rechargeable pen is nice with 4 extra nibbs in holder. Was already charged ready to use ha. Has 20 min then sleep mode, just tap stylus on active area to wake.

The tablet has a .6" height detection, this is good plenty of space I can place a sheet of plastic or glass to protect the surface no problem. I don’t like the rough surface, but I don’t want to scratch it anyways.

Tablet a green led light that blinks when active stylus is in .6" range. The light will stay on when you are using pressure and either go back to blinking if you are in range or just turn off when further than .6" range. I think it is cool.
Light will turn red when pen needs charging which takes 1 hour by USB charger.

You can resize the tablet and edit keys/buttons as well in the software options.
Also has Left hand mode (just added on the 4/15/2014) and I am left handed myself. So I got lucky with that ha I can flip the tablet and use the buttons.

I’ll report back in a few weeks for an update of tablet performance.

If Huion had touch pad and tilt feature the Intuos Pro line would stand no chance in hell at its current price.

intriguing… I might actually buy this. I am still deciding at the moment.

I just bought a Huion H610 Pro based on the information in this thread. I’ll report back also once I have a chance to try it out.

Guys, is there a possibility to use tablet (Windows 8) as just a monitor (Remote desktop?) that also transfers exact position of stylus (which is paired with desktop via Bluetooth and transfers pressure info)?
I’m not familiar with all comp tech so just asking if it is possible?

James,
I am considering to purchase Huion H610 Pro as well. I’d appreciate your feedback.
thanks!

M

Well, it’s not a polished product as far as the programming interface is concerned, but it does work. The programing interface was quirky and I had problems setting it up. I even went to their website to try to see if there were any updates or anything that would make it easier. I’ve been using computers daily for over 30 years so it wasn’t like I don’t have knowledge concerning how to install hardware.

I’ve never used a tablet before so I cannot make comparisons, instead I can tell you about my experiences.

Everything works as advertised, but it seems to be a little too sensitive when making fine adjustments to the sliders in Zbrush. With my mouse I can set any draw size for example without issue, whereas with this tablet I need to fight with it to get it to go to the number that I want. I mainly purchased it to draw out things like flames that need to be pulled out in nice flowing movements. For this it works perfectly! It also has perfect pressure sensitivity for like if one were doing shading for example on a digital drawing or doing calligraphy.

Overall, I’d say that it is definitely worth the money invested.

I brought a Huion H610 recently and the regular one not the Pro version. I think they also have another new tablet with a SD card reader. I brought the Huion 610 because the only big difference about the other two are cosmetics and a card reader. I order off amazon with my Prime membership so it took 2 days to come. I made sure to download the driver the day before it came and restarted my PC then. When it arrived I plugged everything in and added a rechargeable battery to the pen. Everything worked as advertised for me out of the box. I had to go into the settings to enable the tablet for the brushes in Photoshop for pressure sensitivity to work.

That was an issue with Photoshop and not the tablet. At first I thought it was the tablet until I tried it in Zbrush and the pen sensitivity was working fine there. I have seen some reviews where people had issues but I think a few units may come defective and should be able to be returned. Then again I think it was more user error and not preparing for the tablets arrival before hand. Any drivers from previous tablets must be uninstalled before installing the Huion ones. I had a old bamboo from years ago. I made sure to uninstall those drivers first. I restarted and then I installed the Huion drivers and restarted again. Everything works perfectly for me. I would have done the above for any software as I have been working in IT for 11 years now.

No issues setting up the keys and made sure to increase the sensitivity almost to the max. I want to make sure I can get smaller lines with a light touch of the pen. It really does feel like i’m drawing on paper that way. Now I didn’t use the Bamboo much as I was in the military when I first purchased it and after awhile I gave up on Photoshop and Maya then. I just didn’t have the time to invest in it. Now I have more free time and I want to do more with Photoshop and I have chosen to use Zbrush. I’m still deciding between blender, 3d Studio Max, and Maya. I can test those out using a student license. I hear its best to use many different programs but Zbrush will be primary for my sculpting.

Sorry about that back on topic. My sliders work fin for me using the tablet. I’m just trying to figure out the best button configurations for the side buttons. Then what I can also put at the top to keep me away from the keyboard.

Thank you James and AresDB for your detailed responses. It seems like the tables is a very good alternative to much more expensive Wacom brand. Thanks again for making my purchase decision much easier.

M

Looks like I’ll be choosing the Huion610 Pro
thanks op for opening this thread! I had been wondering about the 610 Pro… Does anybody know how well it works on Mac OS X? I’m on mavericks and soon will be on Yosemite.

The tablet is great and for the money it’s a bargain.

Now, I believe I’m having driver issues as I’m using OS X Yosemite and there’s no update from Huion yet.
The pen goes to sleep randomly and it refuses to wake up. I have to let it rest for a bit before it wakes again on tap.
It’s getting frustrating, I hope a driver update will be available soon.

Hi. I just bought a huion h610 pro but can not make pen pressure work in zbrush? it is fine in photoshop. It would be really nice if someone could help with that.

Hi,
A quick question to the Huion tablet users: can you confirm that the tablets work fine after upgrading to 4R7?
I’ve a 610 Pro that works great with 4R6.
thanks

Hello,
I recently bought a Huion H610 Pro, the tablet works well with version 7.

lesergeiHello,
I recently bought a Huion H610 Pro, the tablet works well with version 7.

Thanks for the answer.

I actually went ahead and tried it myself yesterday and indeed it works.

Good day All,

I just bought the Huion H610 Pro following the reviews on this thread and its working great out of the box !
one thing I did not manage to understand is how to configure the shortcuts on the tablet.!!
I am a beginner and this is my first graphic tablet !
would someone shares his experience with me?.

Reul Dereut.

Hello, the easiest way is to view the PDF file of the tablet. But soon, here is the procedure for tablet left buttons. My system is in French, so I hope to have translated the keys correctly. :confused:

1. Double-click the icon graphic tablet in the notification area.
  2. Click on Advanced Settings.
  3. You have the keys K1 to K8 on the left side, K for Key.
  4. Click on K1 and assigns shortcut key box and then presses on apply, you must apply each time you click, otherwise your shortcuts will not be saved. Then choose the next key, and you do the same. Once finished you click Done. If you also want the 16 function keys, click on to activate the function keys, and repeats the process. Unfortunately, you can not save your preferences for each program.

Good luck