ZBrushCentral

Hec's 2013 and early 2014 works depo

Hi eveyone,

It’s been about a year… my second year freelancing was pretty busy and full of fun. Here’s some the goods…

Starting with my local clients in Vienna, where I live, these guys were done for Arxanima and Outfit 7s Talking Tom IP, fun toony characters:

Here’s a making of video by Arxanima from that project:

<iframe width=“560” height=“315” src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kvTbJcA1dMg" frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

These two were done for Sunfox, the project is announced on their site and will be going online soon:

It’s gonna be a long one, so I hope you don’t mind me sharing a bunch of stuff… I’ll be posting a bunch of miniatures, a sculpting timelapse, and other work for print next. :slight_smile:

Attachments

Baby.jpg

Bruno.jpg

Emma.jpg

Roger.jpg

Violet.jpg

I was asked to do a new pose of Soda Pop Miniature’s mascots Candy and Cola. I had already built them the year before for another piece so this was just a matter of taking the base sculpts, transposing and cleaning them up. These two are always fun to work with:

CandyColaPromo_01.jpg

Ninja Division is a Sister Company to Soda Pop Miniatures. Last year they worked on the minis for the Robotech RPG Tactics game and I was honored to do this piece for them. I was a big fan of Robotech back in the mid 80s (When it aired in Mexico) so I was pretty happy to do a piece for that project.

YF4_Fighter.jpg

YF4_Guardian.jpg

Same Veritech in Battloid form:

YF4_Battloid02.jpg

YF4_Battloid03.jpg

YF4_WideShot_Battloid.jpg

I also did several pieces for Kingdom Death, many of which are still in production, this first one wasn’t actually a mini. It was intended for a garage kit, but was put on hold due to manufacture of the main game being at full swing for now.

PinUpLaurieRenders_a.jpg

3Dkd_04.jpg

This was a test print at 54mm:

web-54mm-pinup-archivist-2.jpg

More KD:

AyaBwall_01.jpg

I love your work, thanks for showing it :]

Would you be willing to share some of your techniques used to create the books?

I made a simple rectangle, cut out the middle for the cover, then placed another inside but it looks extraordinarily plain compared to yours, haha.

Attachments

tumblr_n2utdvTMKo1rdksclo2_1280.jpg

Hi there.

@Bangers - Thanx, glad you like the work.

@tsak021 - I was gonna post more minis still, but I can answer your question first. It did take some puzzling to find good ways to do them books. This tutorial could also help my students (I teach part time) so I went ahead and made a thorough breakdown, mind you it assumes some knowledge of zb since I don’t go too in-depth on some of the features, but let me know if anything is unclear.

Here it goes:

Books-Tutorial_p01.jpg
Books-Tutorial_p02.jpg
Books-Tutorial_p03.jpg

I’ll be back with more KD minis and a couple recent pieces, feel free to ask any questions. I’m always happy to give and exchange workflow tips. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for making this very well made tutorial.
Very much appreciated.

hi thanks for your cool work
the book Tutorial part 2 is kind of broke here please check

Great little tutorial. Very organized and well presented. Thanks a bunch for sharing the process.

Also your work is wonderful as well.

Yes, thank you for the tutorial. It has definitely helped to make the book cover in Maya to get that kind of rounded binding part. :smiley:
Keep up the good work on your amazing pieces!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do a breakdown of the process. Very helpful

Great work! I like it all! And thank you very much for the book breakdown! Very helpful

@ Knacki - You’re welcome.
@ soulless - I kept finding typos after uploading and broke some of the image paths. Try now and let me know if it works. I think I caught all the typos and instructions that sounded wrong or not clear enough.
@ Bbyrnes - Thanx.
@ tsack021 - Welcome, hope it helped.

So here’s some more KD from last year.

I made lots of weapons and six crazy looking masks. All imagined by Adam Poots, creator of KD, and designed by his concept art team. These were all quick to make with dynamesh, none of them took longer than a day and some full sets were done in a day or two. Proportions on some of these may seem chunky, but they work well in print for minis size.

KD-WeaponsComp_Small.jpg

Another character and the final production piece.

Spiral_Path_01.jpg

Real nice minis. Love your work. The whole project did exceptionally well in KS as I recall. Great to see the work here. Any tips regarding mini making? Also, a question: What is the deciding factor of breaking down the figure into parts?

@ Clintus Maximus - Thanx and you’re welcome. :slight_smile:

@ Mytholon - Thanx, man. The breakdown of pieces is something I discuss back and forth with my clients depending on their experience with casting and their needs. But it usually follows the general principle of a two piece mold. Meaning you have be able to make an imaginary seamline across the pieces, and anytime that becomes difficult you make cuts. The cuts you try to do in a way that makes sense by placing them where there may already be natural seams. An arm holding a sword would be best cut at the hand if needed and the place to do it would be the wrist. If the wrist wears a bracelet, then that’s the place to make the cut.

You can read a minis turorial and more info on this in my works thread from last year:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?176344-Hec-s-2012-early-2013-works-dump/page2

Here’s a breakdown of the many pieces that the Librarian Pin Up was made of, it’s missing the book stacks but it has most of the pieces there:

Laurie_Parts.jpg

Last KD piece of this batch:

Simone_01.jpg

These were minis for a new client, they’re still working getting their manufacture and kickstarter together:

Misaki_02.jpg

Superbe !:+1:

Great! Lots of inspiration here. Thank you so much for your answer!! I really appreciate it :+1:

wow, indeed very inspirational :slight_smile:

@chalian and mcAllem - thanx guys.

Some more minis…

Kenziee01.jpg

Kenziee_Shots_01.jpg

These are just two versions of the same character designed by Evan Lee for black market minis (pics below and in link is a bit NSFW):

http://cghub.com/images/view/140420/

Tefnut_01.jpg

Tefnut_01_Comp.jpg

TefnutWinged_01.jpg

TefnutWinged_01_Comp.jpg

Dynamesh has become very important for my workflow. Along with zremesher it has massively sped up and streamlined my workflows. When it first came out I didn’t feel comfortable or confident enough to do a full body with it, I was pretty used to working with my base meshes… that changed with use and that’s how I eventually was able to do things like a full humanoid body and lots more. I recorded a video of one of those practice sessions and posted it in the youtubes, hope you like it:

<iframe width=“420” height=“315” src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OGeBJOENcZQ" frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

//youtu.be/OGeBJOENcZQ