Member Follow User Gallery

Default Ralf Maeder's Workshop

I would like to concentrate my work here in my own thread, like many others do with their work and WIPs.

My latest endevour started a little bit rough and unmotivated, and ended with a little scene, dedicated to the Riddick Movies.
    Here the ugly critter in Sculptris, the poor thing suffers from the strong radiation on the planet. The big rocks were also modeled in Sculptris and the Vue-Material uses just a small bumpmap, no displacements at all.

And my scene in Vue 10:

This is the common Riddick-Mouse. It is a pet. Not that it looks particularly cute or has other positive characteristics, it is just the only creature that doesn't bite immediately or tries to escape. Riddick calls it "creature" and its diet includes a wide variety of food ... but Riddick doesn't share anything of those with it except a few gnawed bones maybe. A cheerful couple, "creature" and Riddick.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

He has a rock elemental feel to him Ralf heh he could be the dog in that old clint eastwood movie lol The Riddick movies were a lot of fun
    They say time is the fire in which we burn. Quick! Someone get a fire extinguisher!

Thank you Tartan. Once I knew what to do whith the accidented Sculptris model, it was a lot of fun to make up a scene.
    Maybe I will return to that theme and create something more sofisticated next time.

Ralf.

Default Dragon II

The dino converted into a dragon. Not finished yet
    This time I stayed low with the polygons. Tomorrow I want to try to add details with bump.

Default Dragon II and a half

After a second look I didn't like the previous one that much. So here is the new species. Maybe more changes to come before going to paint.
    Any comments are highly appreciated since I am still learning the basics of Sculptris and Modeling.

Ralf.

It's starting to come together from the original dinosaur head.

One of the things that I've learned from watching so many others doing some varied types of models is that creating a sculpt can be a multi stage process. In the original dinosaur head, it was some of the base shapes, but then you skipped some of the other steps and tried to go directly to some of the high frequency details which is usually the final stage. That's part of why these are looking that much better is that you have gone in and defined some of base those shapes on a smaller scale. I'd like to see you go in and do another step or two of details with each being increasingly more detailed before getting into the fine details of scales. At this level, one thing that might be needed would be to add in the basis for the eyelids. An additional step from there would be to start adding in some of the folds in skin around the head that define some of the underlying muscle or give space for movement. Once those are all in, you can then place the scales in a more realistic fashion based on how the creature is laid out. These steps are where a sculpt can really come to life. Sure, it takes time...lol...but it can be worth it.

Many will create those base shapes for the entire model and then define each shape equally before moving the next step in definition for the entire model. While that's one way, I usually find it boring and Sculptris is one program where I don't have to worry about having to do it that way. I can create a head, get in all the details, add a body, add medium details, add some arms with high details then move back to parts of the body, etc. Either way, it can be quite helpful to watch some of the sped up videos of some of the really proficient ZBrush modelers. Watching the time lapse videos lets you watch for the techniques without having to focus on the tools (which are similar enough anyway).

These are great tips. I will try to slow down the process of sculpting and make it more organized. And like you mention, watching videos of others while sculpting.

Hopefully it helps. Everyone is different, so I can only say what's helped for me.

Comparing #2 and 2,5 I like the mouth of the 2nd and a half more. This beak looks more interesting I´d say.

Right now I am a bit on standby with modeling.
    Using a bit more Vue and I am exploring some not so well known features.

But I will come back soon enough, no doubt!