Member Follow User Gallery

Default Dragonhead - Sculptris Paintjob

My first paintjob in Sculptris. No bumpmap, it's all geometry (1.3 million poligons).

Sculptris:

Vue 10 render:

Very nice job! I'm surprised it let you paint at 1mil polygons .... that's a lot! ... Also, much of the Detail you got could be done in Bump Map in Paint. I like to export the bump Map (b/w .tif) .. convert it to jpg with irfanview, then render in Daz Studio using the bump map in the Displacement channel. You get real Geometry with much less Polygons .... Here's one I've been working on lately. It's a Gremlin a custom morph I made for Daz Genesis. I Painted the textures in Sculptris, it's all I have for that. And Genesis is only 20K polygons (quads - 40k tris) and he's fully rigged and animate-able! The image is Cross-eye 3D.

don't mean to high-jack your thread ... just some Ideas ...

Yes I know, the polygon count is way too high. At the moment I don't know DAZ Studio nor how to rigg, but this could be interesting for the near future. Where to start with this?

Default Re

t to learn, let's start with the basics ..

Your model is cut into pieces and laid as flat as possible and arranged into a space, this is called UV-mapping. Think reverse Clothing patterns. This is done Automatically in Sculptris when you go to Paint Mode. Models do not have to be triangulated, and most software's us Quads. The math for quads makes functions like Edge loop and Edge ring selection possible. But Triangles are the simplest form of a polygon, and most of the older Game engines require Triangulation for Import, meaning your quad model has actually twice as many polygons as displayed. Also some programs can handle N-gons .. polygons with more than 4 edges. Sculptris can only handle quads and triangles. if you start with a quad model in Sculptris and keep the Detail slider at 0 and only use the Subdivide button, Sculptris will keep your quads and just let you use the Sculpting tools. It's also Fantastic for painting Quad models!

I use Wings3d, Sculptris, Paint.NET, and Blender, pretty much in that order. Most of my modeling starts in Wings3d, I only use Blender for some of the higher functions that Wings3d does not have like Cloth Sim, Shrinkwrap, and some Sculpting tools. Blender mirrors the Stroke rather than the topology in Sculpt mode, like Zbrush! It's much better to use for Sculpting Morphs on Daz Genesis.

Morph Targets are used in many ways. In Daz Poser they are used both for modeling, and for animation. They are a copy of the original model with things just moved around. For them to work, the morph has to have the same amount of Verticies, in the same order, The Vertex Order. There's an option that must be checked when importing in Blender for this to work. Wings3d does it automatic. So does Sculptris, but if you go to mirror-mode then it rebuilds the right side of the model, and changes the vertex order in Sculptris. Morph targets are also used in Game Engines for Animation. 3DRad uses morph targets, so does UDK.

Normal maps and bump maps can show detail that is not in the Geometry. Normal Maps effect the Lighting channel, showing highlights and shadows where there's no geometry. This technique is used a lot in game engines. Game models are usually less than 12K Tris. Look through some of the Dominace War stuff in the Zbrush Challenges forum for some good examples .. here http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdi...allenges-Forum

Material in most other softwares are different than Sculptris. What Sculptris uses as Material is usually known as Environment mapping, and is used on reflective surfaces in games and rendering. Most softwares use the basics of Wavefront Object (.obj) for material, then expand from there as it seems to be the most universal format. For this there's four main channels Diffuse (actual color) Ambient (color of the environment around) Specular (highlights, tweak this channel to show hard/ shiny or soft/ dull materials) and Emission (self light, glowing objects). In most cases you'll want the Ambient channel black or very dark. You can add a texture map to any of these channels (this is fun to play with)

there's some starters, have fun on your Journey. There's plenty of Youtube vids on this stuff. Look for vids on Retopo and UV mapping. There's plugins for Paint.NET for making Nomal Maps from Greyscale images. And the Zbrush vids are good for inspiration even for us without Zbrush. I've found a way to make geometry similar to Zbrush Group-loops using Wings3d. I did a page of Vids, maybe some of these could help you too .. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...s-Video-Thread!!

First of all, many thanks for pulling together this information. Highly appreciated.

The biggest question at the beginning would be how to prepare properly a model for rigging and how to do the rigging? If I understand morphs correctly, one would have to pose the object, so how to do more complex stuff, like moving a leg and an arm and the head in different directions? One can not do morphs for any possible pose, can we?

I thought that rigging is about creating a skeleton of bones and defining their influences and relationships, but I don't know if that is how DAZ Studio or Poser are working.

Ralf.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Re

Um mmmm

Default re

There's both Skeleton rigging and Morphs. Morphs are used more for Facial Animation, Mechanical stuff that wouldn't need a whole Skeleton, and things like waving flags. Blender's got a neat Cloth Sim that's frame based. You can import an .obj, run a sim, and export a couple middle frames to use as morphs. then set up the morphs to repeat (maybe a timer) for a convincing waving flag. would be easier than rigging and animating by hand. It's the same with wind on a skirt or hair ....
    Daz models (Genesis) come pre-rigged. The program can create Images and Movies. Rendering images this way is SLOOOOWWW, but much more realistic. Game models usually are rigged and already have their animations .. walking, swimming, crouching, etc. Morphs can be added for talking and facial expression.
    Honestly the best advice I could give you would be to get Blender and learn it! It's free and they Hire Blender Artists! There's plenty of Vid tutorials on Youtube.

When I started learning this (2007-8, maybe) there was Old Wings3D, Old Blender, and not much for Graphics Cards. Zbrush 2 was not much more than Sculptris is now and sold for about 200$ I had to scour Google to find tutorials and forums and read for Hours. I avoided Blender at first because it was old and everything was backwards from every other software. This industry has EXPLODED every year since with new toys, new techniques, new ideas. I avoided Blender later because I had already found a way using Wings3d.

But today's Blender is every bit as good as the Zbrush - 3DSMAX pipeline they used to make AVATAR! And it's Free!
    There's Video tutorials and forums all over. Just remember that Blender is Open Source and programmers are always experimenting and updating it, so if there's something shown in a vid but you can't find the button (or whatever), check the Vid for the version number cuz it was probably moved.

Daz Studio is cool too, but I've been buying models and stuff for it for years. Some of my Morphed models are my own, but many I had to pay for. The Daz-Poser end of this is really more of a Club. Daz get's you hooked with the Free software, but you gotta buy Content!! And you have to buy Seperate Licences if you want to Use your stuff Commercial!!

There's a Blender Humanoid somewhere out there, it's rigged and has some morphs. It's more Cartoony than Daz Genesis, but it's Free and Royalty Free

Thank for the explanation. Now I have a better understanding of morphing and rigging.

I don't know if I want to learn Blender (it's more a no), I already know somewhat LightWave and Vue.
    Rigging could be interesting in the near future maybe, depending on where my new sculpting hobby will guide me.

I already saw many breathtaking DAZ Renders, mainly when rendered with LuxRender and/or Reality. But at the moment I don't think in buying stuff for DAZ, maybe the other way round?

Ralf.

Hi there, whats up next with the dragons head? Will you do a new one with full body or give the existing one even more details? And thanks for the 64bit tool in the other thread, works fine so far.

Cheers!

I think I am going to do another Dragonhead and apply some of the things that I "learned" while doing the first one. (Optimizing mesh count, but still with a lot of details).

Glad that you picked up the patch. I think that way Sculptris acts more stable when it gets to its supposed "limits".

My dragonhead was motivated by this fabulous artworks made in ZBrush:
    http://damir-g-martin.deviantart.com/gallery/28486992?rnrd=26417
    This artist also shows timelapsed videos of how he created some of the dragonheads on his website. Really impressive stuff.

Indeed really impressive! Thanks for sharing.

I don't know much about Daz but I do know a lot about Poser. Should be similar. You can spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on Daz models. I know because I have done it but I did it with my eye on combining it with 3d work of my own in a commercial project so I bought mostly architectural props like Stonemasons to use as sets. That way while I don't have time to build everything, just select characters and items in Zbrush and Silo, I have access to a rather large inventory of sets that can be retextured and rearranged if need be to create the camera shots that are needed. Doing a graphic novel is like doing a movie on a smaller scale if you are doing it in 3d and resources are needed.

Btw I think your dragon is going in a great direction! That last texture work rocked!
    They say time is the fire in which we burn. Quick! Someone get a fire extinguisher!

Thanks a lot Tartan. I am going to experiment further with Sculptris and push its limits and my own.