ZBrushCentral

Free or cheap 3D modeling software?

Hello all,

I’ve been looking for a free / reasonably-priced-for-hobbyist-use 3D modeling package that would work well together with ZBrush, and allow me to (among other things) create and extrude Bezier shapes (text, etc, things that are difficult to create in ZBrush) into 3D objects and export them to OBJ format.

Can anyone recommend any such software?

I tried to find a place to download Strata 3D Base - which appears to be a free 3D modeling package - but it doesn’t seem to be available any more.

Thanks!

P.S. I know there probably are numerous quirky ways to do everything in ZBrush, but. :wink:

Skaven252, wings 3d and amapi are free they compliment and work well with z obj.,dxf.(bevel extrude ect.) dont have the links handy do a search!

Wings and Amapi seem perfect for the purpose! Just downloading them. Thanks for the tip!

Wings 3d has some cool stuff. I love how easy it is for extruding, beveling, and smoothing hard edged surfaces. Amapi is unstable and honestly IMHO not worth anyones serious time. Amapi is cheap, and it will give you a good reason to upgrade to another program as quickly as possible. Save up your money for Maya Complete.

Hi Sir of Quadalot
Are you serious about Amapi ?
As a free program Amapi (5.15 version)is the most powerful modeler that I know (for the precise modeling)!
So powerful than there is Using as a “direct pluging” for 3DMAX !!!
And he can read the AutoCad Files !!!
Cheap(for the price yes (cost =7 $), for the rest you are surely joking :slight_smile:
Just an Interface no Orthodox :slight_smile:
Pilou

20 second realized with Amapi :cool:

You might want to check out Art of Illusion. It’s an open source freeware program written in Java. It will run on just about any platform.

Regards,

Wayne

Hi Wayne
Seems very good but we have just one life :slight_smile:
Pilou

Try this :PIXIE !!
Pixie is a RenderMan like photorealistic renderer ! It is an open source project licensed under Gnu Public License !!

wings is by far the best free poly modeler. Pixie is coming on strong as a Renderman compliant renderer…it’s not for beginners though…
d.t.

backrounds modeleled in wings 3d imported,textured and render in z,saved as ztl.only 1,500 some odd polys.
3d room ztl.zip

Hi Gary
You right
Zbrush can import anything if this Dxf or Obj
As I see shadows works fine :slight_smile:
I suggest you to play with an image in adding
with zadd some colored brushings + crazzy textures on the wall, ground etc :
you will surprise by the result :slight_smile:
Have happy importation !
Pilou

Well, if you are a student you can get Rhinocheros for about Two Hundreed Bucks.
And then you get really top Nurbs modeler.

Wings would be my first choice for polygonal modeling. For rendering(with yafray or another open source renderer) and nurb modeling you can’t go wrong with blender.

I’ve been playing around on the net and found these two freeware PC & Mac software…

Takeo Igarashi has a number of wee programs that require Java 2 to be installed. Teddyand Smooth Teddy are a couple of cool apps. If you have the online time to download the large movie files that come with them I recomend them! You can export your models to ZBrush if you want!
There’s also a cool application called Sweater that lets you put clothes on your meshes!

You might also be interested in Alice, if you are a bit of a programmer novice? (a 64 meg download!)

well, what can i say but WINGS3D! the best low poly modeller by far, does export .obj, great interface and very easy to learn.

it lacks bezier tools though (which i hardly use anyway), but has a very good UV mapping tool built in and is overall just an amazing tool, and free!

found one, that has not been mentioned yet :slight_smile: METASEQUOIA
http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~mizno/main_e.html

just had a short glance at it, the interface is … uhm … odd … lots of buttons (but then, zbrush users are used to understanding somewhat different interfaces :slight_smile: and it seems to have a very good set of subdivision modelling tools and whatnot.
definitely worth a look - they have a freeware version and a full, that unfortunately cant be bought outside of japan, yet.

have fun exploring!

Does anyone have experience with Blender 3D?

How about 4dBlue. It is pre alpha but so far I have not had any issues with it.

http://www.4dblue.com/

Cheers

Mike R