Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default 3D printing, a bit of info to look for in online services?

Hello.

Iv not looked much into 3D printing, and quite simply there seems to be a overwhelming amount of info which is going to take me way to long to wade through.

Im assuming technologies are changing since the printers first came out, and so too the price. Im looking for a service that can print a Zbrush anatomical sculpt with high quality detail that I can use to make a mold from to cast into different materials. Again iv not looked into how this is done, but would like to get a low down on what I need to know, and any recommended reliable, reasonable priced services. Print size, the model would have to be at least large enough for someone to use to learn anatomy from.

Thanks, Dan.

Are you in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by MentalFrog View Post
    Are you in the US?
    No im in the UK.

You can try Shapeways. But I highly suggest that you buy your own 3D printer and filament, then create the Zbrush anatomical sculpt with the size and shape you want. It***8217;s a smart investment that will save you a lot of cash in the long run. You can use it in creating different stuff and sell it.

if your only purpose is print a model to create a mold, i highly suggest ownage. they make an amazing job in printing stuff, with no need to prep the model (they care about everything, from checking it's watertight to deciding where to cut the model to ensure the best quality)
    Zbrush Certified Instructor
    #39-DA-10-09

my sketchbook
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=80283

But I highly suggest that you buy your own 3D printer and filament, then create the Zbrush anatomical sculpt with the size and shape you want. It's a smart investment that will save you a lot of cash in the long run. You can use it in creating different stuff and sell it.
    I highly suggest that you don't buy your own 3D printer, at least for right now.

A smart investment is one that is researched. I suggest people wait on buying a 3d printer as the next couple of years they're going to change drastically and become much cheaper. It's best to use a service like Shapeways to get a feel for different materials and detail. Once you see what's available for your needs and budget then you can buy a 3d printer. However base it on your needs. If you don't print a lot a 3D printer won't be worth it.

The cheap printers are just toys for hobbyist and 3d enthusiasts right now. Personal 3D printers are just barely coming into the tech world. Give them a little bit more time and you'll get more bang for your buck as they work out the kinks and issues. And with so many companies starting up it's too hard to tell which one will be around in a few years. There are no dependable personal 3D printer companies yet because they haven't been around long enough to prove themselves.

Personal printers are still in their infancy. If you really want one then go ahead and buy one. When it comes to 3D printing there's a lot of misinformation and people/companies are downplaying some of the information and processing.

I think the majority of people are better off waiting.

Have you visited Shapeways? I think they will help you create your desired model. I never ask for online 3D orienting services though, I have my own 3D printer at home. I design my own. In fact, I’m working on my first 3D printed shoes using 3D2print’s rubber-like filaments. The material is highly elastic; surely the output will turn out like 100% authentic one.