ZBrushCentral

The Ultimate Biological Machine - Human Anatomy WIP Thread (Nudity)

My name’s Jason Holt.

My goal in life is to work full-time as a Creature/Character Artist in the film and game industry. I have not posted much of my work online, so 2014 is my year to change that, and to do everything I can to realize that goal.

I want to kick-off this year with the most ambitious project I have ever undertaken. I will create a photo-realistic, anatomically accurate Human Male and Female.

All Bones, Muscles, Tendons, Ligaments, and Fasciae will be sculpted with great scrutiny and care. I am absolutely fascinated by anatomy, and I want to fully understand it. I believe an exploration at this level will allow me to improve my character and creature sculpting ability and overall anatomical understanding. I am considering exploring other major systems, but for now I will be creating the Integumentary System, Skeletal System, and Muscular System.

I am a firm believer in understanding the things that exist in order to create the things that don’t.

Any critique, comments, and advice is always greatly appreciated, and thanks for looking! =)

Below are pics of the initial Block-Out of the Male Skeletal System. The next step will be to refine each bone individually. The final step will be to add accurate surface detail.

Image 1

Skeletal System Orthographic views. All bones have been Blocked-Out except for the Xyphoid process and the bones of the inner ear (Ossicles, Malleus, and Incus)

Image 2

Multiple Close up views of the Skull, Vertebrae, and Shoulder Girdle, including exploded view with Left Maxilla and Left Temporal Bone removed to reveal the Nasal Cavity and Cranial Cavity

Below are images of my current progress on the Muscular System Block-Out. I still have quite a few deep layer muscles to insert, but the majority are present. Once the Block Out is finished, the next step is to refine and ensure the muscles insert and overlap one another correctly, and then to finally add accurate surface detail.

Image 3

Muscular System Orthographic views; work in progress

Image 4

Multiple views of the Muscles of the Head, Neck, and Upper Torso regions including an exploded view with Right Orbicularis oculi, Orbicularis oris, and Ear removed to reveal the underlying Skull (See Image 2)

Image 5

3/4 superior view of current progress on the Feet and Left Hand. It is absolutely amazing how complex these particular regions are, and there are still quite a few muscles left to sculpt in the hand particularly.

That’s all for this post. I will be updating my progress as much as possible, at least once weekly. Thanks for stopping by! =)

Attachments

Hum_M_Anat_Jason_Holt_2013_001.jpg

Hum_M_Anat_Jason_Holt_2013_002.jpg

Hum_M_Anat_Jason_Holt_2013_003.jpg

Hum_M_Anat_Jason_Holt_2013_004.jpg

Hum_M_Anat_Jason_Holt_2013_005.jpg

Hi everyone,

Today I have made some solid progress on the first muscle I wanted to tackle, the Orbicularis Oris.

I chose this muscle because I feel it to be one of the most complex; and for a few different reasons.

This muscle tends to be drawn or sculpted incorrectly to life. Most interpretations depict the muscle as a sphincter, a muscle that is a concentric loop that expands and contracts. The fact of the matter is, the Orbicularis Oris is made up of four interweaving parts.

It has been very difficult to find photographs of this particular muscle due to what I believe to be damage that happens to the muscle fibers in the dissection process. Please note I am not a medical professional and may be incorrect here. From my observations, Plastinated specimens tend to have very undefined Orbicularis Oris muscles, and photos of cadavers I’ve seen tend to have the lips always attached, which makes it difficult to find photos of the Pars Marginalis (the quadrant where the fibers attach to the lips themselves) without the lips attached.

It also doesn’t help that where the fibers at the corner of the Orbicularis Oris itself interweave, you have the Modiolus, which is a chiasma of fibers for other muscles in that region.

Another interesting aspect here is how the fibers also cross one another to help form the Philtrum. There is actually some debate on how the Philtrum is formed and which muscles do so. Please note that I have not interwoven those fibers yet, and am saving that part for the final pass where I add asymmetry to the forms.

So a lot of research and reading, and I’m still not 100% sure of how accurate I currently am here, but I think I am on the right track to creating convincing, true to life, muscle fibers.

Critique, advice, and suggestions are always welcome! Thank you for stopping by! =)

That’s awesome, man! Keep up good work! :slight_smile:

What’s that between the pectoralis major and the external oblique?

The skull seems a bit odd on the front view. It looks like it bulges too much on the top area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=skull&client=firefox-a&hs=ade&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xuPrUqDpMJGhogS60oGwBw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=810#channel=np&q=real%20skull%20front%20view&revid=929421788&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

Now I know there’s variations so it could be correct, but I’ve never seen a real skull that bulges that much and I’ve seen quite a few real skeletons/skulls. It could also be from the ortho view. Do you have a perspective view as well?

Great work!

I’ve just found this thread and would interested to know how your progress is coming along?

Additionally I’m interested as to what your workflow is for detailing the muscle fibers. Are you using custom alphas or are you just diving in with standard brushes?