Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Wink ZAdjustor v2.0 [UPDATE > v2.0 for WIN + OSX]

Warning: This plugin is not fully compatible with ZBrush 4R7. Installing it will prevent the 64-bit version of ZBrush from launching at all. Use at your own risk.

ZAdjustor plugin : Adjust Draw Size, Focal Shift (and Z/RGB Intensity) by simply moving the mouse/stylus on X and Y axis while holding down a hotkey. Don't interrupt your workflow anymore when adjusting brush size or focal shift, instead smoothly adjust it with visual feedback, just like in mudbox, photoshop, etc... !!!

> UPDATE : Fully-featured v2.0 now available for OSX too.
    Works really well and smooth, now on OSX as well as on Windows.

ZBrush has got a wonderful seamless smooth workflow, and to me adjusting draw size or focal shift with a slider is quite annoying. I wanted to have a tool which would do it more naturally, without having to relate to precise numbers, just like like in Photoshop with Alt or Maya/Mudbox holding B key. The adjust plugin shipped with zBrush did not do it for me, so I started to write my own one, and there it is.

So : You choose between one of the six independent profiles with the top buttons, set whatever parameters you like, assign a hotkey to the big button at the bottom, then while sculpting you hold that hotkey down and adjust a chosen parameter with X axis and another one with Y. While doing so the cursor stays in place. While doing this, you have instant smooth visual "analog" feedback of brush size and focal shift, as well as numerical in the status bar if you enable the Display option. You can also adjust Z Intensity and RGB Intensity if you want.

You have six independent profiles, each with its own settings and hotkeyable action button, so you can have up to six different hotkeys adjusting various parameters in various ways.

Axis culling means that just after starting to hold the hotkey, if you aim within a certain Angle from the horizontal/vertical axis, the other axis will be filtered out so you won't have to be extra-precise to avoid changing its value. If you aim outside the defined Angle then you will adjust both axis just like usual or if you set angle on 45° then there will always be an axis culled. The Length slider sets the number of pixels traveled that the plugin will take in account when it evaluates axis culling. Lower it for optimal response, raise it if you find the test too much precise. (For example, with the settings shown in the image, if just after starting to hold the hotkey you go straight to the right/left, you'll only adjust Brush Size, if you go straight up/down you'll only adjust Focal Shift, and if you go diagonally (so 45° - or within 10° from 45° as Angle is set to 35) you'll adjust both at the same time.)

To adjust values for mask/smooth/clip brush, you have to first hold the hotkey, then without releasing it, press and hold the modifier one (SHIFT/CTRL). You have to do it in that order. So, choose your hotkeys wisely : it is best to choose a single key which also is not part of another zBrush shortcut with CTRL/SHIFT added. So, for example : D key first seems to be a nice choice, till you remember CTRL-D is for subdividing ! You won't be able to adjust mask brush settings. Two solutions : you can remove all conflicting shortcuts, or choose another key.

The current version is zAdjustor v2.0, now available on both windows and mac osx. There is a separate package for windows and osx, download the right one for your OS below.
    Voilà ! Hope you will like it, use it and find it useful. I would like a lot of feedback (I hope less problem reports and more bugless thanks , but both are really needed), so don't hesitate.

Also pardon me for my not so good English and if you see any mistake let me know.

Happy sculpting everyone !!!

> Important note :

When answering to support questions here on ZBrushCentral or other forums, I noticed that, whereas most people seems to get how to make the plugin work almost instantly, almost everyone that was having difficulties had them only because of comprehension issues.
    So, please pay attention to this chapter :

- This plugin is made for tablets just as much as regular mouses. It is working with either, and is as useful while holding a stylus as it is while working with a regular mouse.

- Please, be very attentive to the installation process !!! About 50% of the asked questions about this plugin are from people that didn't extract the archive in the right folder. The other 50% were from people that did not understand properly the way the plugin operates or that didn't know how to define a hotkey in ZBrush :

- You must NOT click on the big button at the bottom to use it. This button's only purpose is to allow the user to set up a hotkey that will be the plugin's trigger. You set up the hotkey like usual in ZBrush : CTRL+ALT+CLICK on the button, then ZBrush asks to press a key on the keyboard. Then, to use the plugin, while working over the canvas, HOLD that hotkey down, then move your mouse or stylus to change the values. Then, when you are done changing the values, just release the hotkey.

- You have 6 different profiles that you can select with the numbers at the top of the plugin's palette, and they have all their own 'Big button' to set up a hotkey for each. Use as many as you want.

- Settings are automatically saved. They are not stored with ZBrush own preferences but instead in some files created in the plugin's folder. So you don't have to press 'Store config', ZAdjustor's settings are always saved each time you edit them.

- You must not click with the mouse/stylus while using the plugin. It won't crash or do anything bad, but won't do anything good either. It just isn't the way the plugin is used.

- The page you are on is the official ZAdjustor's thread. Don't hesitate to tell what you think about the plugin, ask a question or for support, say thanks if you like it, just confirm if it's working...

>
    Download :

ZBrush_SizeAjustor_Plugin_v0.9b.zip (now obsolete)

ZBrush_SizeAjustor_Plugin_v0.91b.zip (now obsolete)
    ZBrush_SizeAjustor_Plugin_v0.92.zip (now obsolete)
    ZBrush_ZAdjustor_Plugin_v1.0.zip (now obsolete)
    ZBrush_ZAdjustor_Plugin_v2.0.zip (latest version for Windows)
    ZBrush_ZAdjustor_Plugin_v2.0_OSX.zip (latest version for Mac OSX)

> Installation :

Just extract the whole archive directly in your ZBrush plugin's folder, depending of your OS :
    On Windows > "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R?\ZStartup\ZPlugs"
    On Mac OSX > "/Applications/ZBrushOSX 4R?/ZStartup/ZPlugs/"
    (Of course "?" being replaced with your current ZBrush version)

If you have a previous version installed, try not to overwrite the old files when extracting, but instead do manually delete them before installing (as mixing old and new files is not at all recommended).

More detailed instructions are included in the ReadMe file, if needed.

> Version history :

*** ZAdjustor v2.0 OSX :
    _ Ported ZAdjustor v2.0 to OSX. Works exactly like 2.0 on Windows. Done!
    _ The cursor (here I mean the arrow icon) stays visible, out of personal preference. When using with a tablet, not seeing it was a little confusing when you finished adjusting.
    _ Unlike v0.92, ZAdjustor v2.0 WIN and OSX are two separate packages, as not only the dynamic library but also the ZScript part are different.
    _ Now, Mac or PC, everyone is really happy as never before. The world is saved !!!

*** ZAdjustor v2.0 WIN :
    _ Went back to an engine more like 0.92, as Denvi found the way to make it work even with cursor locked. Removed the loud code used in 1.0 to bypass that ex-problem. THE BIGGEST THANK YOU TO DENVI !!!
    _ Removed "Delay" setting, as it is useless and misunderstood.
    _ Added option to display changing values in zBrush's status bar.
    _ So no more problematic exe, only a good old tiny dll.
    _ Attracts your lover and make him or her irresistible to you, make your marriage successful and more.

*** zAdjustor v1.0 WIN : 4th release :
    _ Cursor now stays in place while adjusting
    _ Axis culling feature added
    _ Up to six different profiles in only one palette
    _ Name changed
    _ Complete source rework

*** SizeAjustor v0.92 WIN+OSX : 3rd release :
    _ Added support for Mac OSx : now everyone's happy.

*** SizeAjustor v0.91b WIN : 2nd release :
    _ Fixed an interface bug where buttons could be on top of each other depending on [Preferences:UI:Buttons Size]. Should now look good on any interface setup.
    _ Recompiled the dll with CodeLite(g++) instead of Visual Studio 2013, so no more need to install Microsoft VC blah blah Runtimes or whatever to fix dependencies issues. Dll should now work ok without installing anything.

*** SizeAjustor v0.9b WIN : 1st release

Happy sculpting every-Z-one !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SizeAjustor_palette.jpg 
Views:	6393 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	383528  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aurick; 08-02-16 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Update

Default First Report SOLVED

ALL FIXED
    Here is a first bug report ( thanx marcus_civis ) :

FIXED _ People who don't have Visual Studio 2012 need some files from microzoft ( the usual VC 20XX runtime libs ), included the link in the post. I'm interested to know if you think I should include them within the plugin archive, I don't know if it is okay to do that ( and it would considerably increase the file size ).

FIXED _ Some buttons may be on top of each other if your button size differ from mine ( I think I was using defaults ), but as it shouldn't interfere with good operation of the plugin I will update it in the next release along with potential critical bugs found meanwhile. If someone can't use the plugin properly because of this let me know and I will update it.

Cheers everyone !

This is awesome!

I've installed the linked files but msvcr120d.dll was not enough me.
    I solved it by installing the Visual Studio 2013.

Default Fix

No more need to install Microsoft Visual blahblah runtimes

The two issues mentioned in post #2 and #3 are fixed (DLL and buttons).
    Updated with link to new version !

Happy sculpting everyone

Moderator Follow User Gallery

Good work, it works very well.

This is very nice KeuPon! I hope Pixologic is watching this. Two comments:

• Would it be possible to let the Plugin cull horizontal movement when the main movement direction
      is vertical and vice versa? What you now have created is a two dimensional slider - which is kind of cool
      but hard to control.
    • Does Zbrush by any chance give you access to RMB (only when hovering over the object) so that one
      could assign this event instead of a keystroke? This way was clearly my favorite - then one would not even need to press a hotkey. 3DCoat uses this mapping too - this would ease things for those who use both apps. It was of course brilliant if you even could allow RMB+Modifier or keystroke as the alternative
      mapping (SizeAdjustor B). Seems that when RMB-Navigation is turned on, all Modifiers are already
      taken - but they might get free when one turning RMB-navigation off.

Thanks again!

Saw this, looks neat. I use right click for the popup menu native to ZBrush. If it wasn't available, I might be using your plugin.

> Polyxo :

Thanks a lot, and that's two very nice ideas you've got here !!!

For the first one, if I understand, you want that when you start moving either vertically or horizontally, the plugin then ignores the other axis ( just like some functions in maya's graph editor ). Am I getting it ? If I do I think it's a very good idea and I think I could set it up very easily, so except it as a new option in the next update !!! Personally, I quite like controlling draw size with X and focal shift with Y, don't forget you've got the strength slider for each axis which can help you with precision.

For the second one you can already do that :
    If you've got a tablet, in the Wacom Tablet Properties, you can map a key to whatever pen button you like. Just map it to a key available in zBrush, and voilà !!! If you want to use it with right mouse button, you even doesn't need to disable Right Click Navigation and Right Click Popup as mapping it to a key bypasses the right click anyway. I just mapped my upper pen button ( which usually act as middle click, pretty useless anyway in zBrush ) and it just kicks asses !!! Thank you a lot man I didn't think about using my plugin in that way at all, I owe you a good one ! If I become millionaire with donations I'll buy you a big Cintic HD !!!
    If you don't have a Wacom I think there are some drivers / utilities which can map mouse buttons to keys the same way. I think for Logitech mouses you've got uberOptions ( http://uberoptions.net/ ) which is a sort of driver addon to do that kind of stuff. Don't know if it works for other brands, but there's certainly something equivalent out there.
    Except the next update in few days.

So a very big thanks to you again !!!

> Doug :

If I understand well, you say you use the zBrush native right click quick menu with all the sliders and stuff to change draw size focal shift etc ? ( I'm again not sure to understand - not a native English speaker sorry ) Because that's exactly to avoid doing it that I made this plugin - not judging or anything I just dislike doing it - matter of taste. Now that polyxo gave us a new way to use my plugin, you maybe could use it with 3rd mouse button ??? I'm doing brute forced sale here hehe. JUST USE MY DAMN PLUGIN !!! If you don't I won't buy you anything when I become millionaire with donations ! lol
    More seriously, thanks for the good comment

Yes, the one with all the sliders. It pops up where you click, no need to jump across the UI for one which is macro based 'docked' somewhere. Again personal preference. I have duplicate items in places to save time while working.

Quote Originally Posted by KeuPon View Post
    For the first one, if I understand, you want that when you start moving either vertically or horizontally, the plugin then ignores the other axis ( just like some functions in maya's graph editor ). Am I getting it ? If I do I think it's a very good idea and I think I could set it up very easily, so except it as a new option in the next update !!! Personally, I quite like controlling draw size with X and focal shift with Y, don't forget you've got the strength slider for each axis which can help you with precision.
    I agree. Sometimes it's nice to change both in one motion but sometimes you just want to change one and not affect the other. I would try to do something similar to the way the transpose tool works, while holding shift it locks to the angle, otherwise it works as normal.

I would like to see this mapped to the Middle Mouse button (or 3rd button/scroll wheel button) that leaves those of us who use right click with our default but can still map our Wacom pens to a button. I use Right click navigation and I can't have right click popup anything else or it interrupts my workflow too much. I mapped my Wacom pen with a right mouse click and a middle mouse click. Middle mouse button isn't used for anything in Zbrush that I know of. I do use it in other programs which is why it's mapped on my pen.

I'd like to try this plugin out but I'm on OSX. I'd like to see it ported over with the above mentioned implemented.

> Doug : Ahh I agree with you travelling all the way across my A4 tablet is a real pain ! It's not that I hate sports but...

Before writing this plugin I had setup a little palette with just Draw Size, Focal Shift, intensities and underneath switches M RGB MRGB Z+ Z- Zcut, assigned to S so just like by default when you press it you the draw size slider just under your pointer, plus the other useful stuff just some pixels away in a predictable manner, so it's kinda like "gestures".

I might sound a little boring here but again I fear I either didn't explain properly how SizeAjustor works or misinterpreted you :
    When you say "no need to jump across the UI for one which is macro based 'docked' somewhere" : Were you talking about my plugin ? Because the purpose of it is exactly to avoid having to travel anywhere in the interface or push any button especially one docked somewhere. The button is just there so you can assign a hotkey to it, you never have to press it ( as anyway pressing it wouldn't do anything ). Exactly like when in photoshop you hold ALT+Right Mouse Button and move your mouse.
    If that's me who misinterpreted you, please accept my deepest apologies as I realize it's seriously starting to look like harassment... ( like " Use my plugin and stop doing your way ! now ! not kidding !!!" ) I promise to stop right now ! lol ( For my defense I'm french. I'm working on it but there is unfortunately no cure... )

> MentalFrog :

The problem would be that if you have to hold SHIFT that looses one key, plus as it can't prevent the brush from switching to smooth brushes it would cause problems. But no need for that I'll just put on something which will detect the initial aim you take, in maya it feels very well so no problem.

I mapped mine on the middle (3rd) button too just like you, very useful like in maya and yeah I had no use for it in zBrush until sooner today when Polyxo came with the wonderful idea to use my plugin on it. I barely used it since but I think it will stay this way. I really couldn't do without right click navigation, I'm totally with you here.

For osX : seriously... get a real computer... DON'T SHOOT I'M JUST JOKING LOL
    I was talking with marcus_civis about porting the dll to Mac OSx and for sure it should be really quick and easy. If anybody now about compiling a lib on OSx, we should talk. I think that's the matter of one or two hours, anyway no more than a very few. It won't stay PC only !!!

Cheers everyone !

Hi KeuPon
    thanks! Good to see that my comments were well received. You asked what I meant exactly with what I called filtering and culling values. What I wanted to say is, that I found helpful to discard all x values when in the list of transformation values when the motion vector clearly points upwards or downwards. I of course have no idea what options you have at disposal but to me it would make sense to automatically lock the cursor in the one or the other direction: So that one either edits parameter 1 or 2 but not both at the same time.
    I further much preferred if the Pen midpoint didn't wander while resizing the pen - this feels kind of odd. I imagine it like the needle of a pair of compasses (if you still remember that old tool ) which also stays in situ while changing the diameter of the tool.

cheers!

Right click opens the quick menu panel for a 1 shot adjustment. Spacebar holds it open for many. The defaults work fine for me, I'm happy without yours for the time being.

SO, good to see I understood you well

To "filter" the discarded axis should be easy but locking the cursor in place ( wich again is a good idea ) or on one axis will require some system work via dll call and I'll have to google around, should be possible but must see. I'm also starting to work on the mac version.

To be honest my c++ is a little rusty...
    Things have quite changed since TurboC++ on MSDOS 5.0 and my ol' 80x86 IBM PS/2 ! Yes I learned everything on a computer born the same year as myself Things were easier ( were they ? ) : make an assembler routine to call interrupt 13h to switch to the oh so wonderful VGA mode with its amazing 256 indexed colors, and wonder how beautiful it would look on a color screen if only I had one

How would zBrush be on that ? It would be called zPaintbrush hahaha ( for those who remember )

> Doug :

My mistake ! I just wasn't sure if I made myself clear about what the plugin is about and how it works.
    Thanks a lot for having tried it anyway and the first comment
    ( like the word "neat" very much, partly because of the first Damned lp )

Page 1 of 11 123410 ... LastLast