ZBrushCentral

Soldier Sheet

Its been a while!

I’ve been working on this character for my portfolio in my free time for the past few weeks. I’m really enjoying every minute of it. So far I’m done with the modelling of the character. I’ve sculpted the M60 and a backpack for him as well and I’m currently working on the textures. I’m creating a simple rig to pose this guy as well. Should be fun :slight_smile:
Tools:Sculpting,topology and UVs were done inside ZBrush and texturing with Mari. For rendering I used 3dsmax and Vray.

UPDATE*

Attachments

viewport01.jpg

CloseUp04.jpg

Awesome work as always !:+1:

Great work! Maybe have a look at the eyes though, there is a bit too much vertical assymetry on the face… Also, on his left hand, the hairs are not connected to the hand.

Looking forward to future updates! :slight_smile:

It is a nice Soldier sheet. It represents the brave soldier of a country.

Well done! Great texture work!:+1:

Good to see new stuff from you!

Are you using any reference for the face? I have to agree with the post above, there’s something odd about the eyes. They look… it’s going to be hard to explain… they look kind of too wide opened and not long enough horizontally. They look rather small in general too, especially if you compare them to the lower part of the face. Spreading them apart might help as well, as it looks like there is too much space between the outer corner of the eyes and ears (could be due to perspective though).
There is also something about his nose that stands out to me. It’s too straight and blocky (front view) with really sharp edges on the sides. It looks almost like two parallel lines going down from the nose bridge to the main mass of the nose. Maybe you can just round off the sides of it just a bit.
I like the face overall though. It doesn’t have that overused “hero” look to it, which is nice.

Some issues with the drapery as well. Some folds on the shirt, right under the arms (armpit area) look as if the shirt is really tight in that area, almost artificially tight. Compare it with the back view where the shirt is somewhat lose with far less compression under the arms. It might make more sense once you pose him though.
The bottom of the pants, especially on his right leg, isn’t very believable. The folds there are too sharp which creates a strange looking silhouette (right leg).

Keep it up!

Hey, great model but I have to quote zenopelgrims about the hairs on the arm, they reallly seems off. Good work on the overall textures :slight_smile:
Looking forward for the posed one!

Hey thanks guys :slight_smile: I’m aware about hair issue. I increased the displacement a bit too much and I didn’t realize until it was done rendering. It’s fixed now but I still need to render it out.

BananaS always good to hear from you! Agree about the nose bridge as for the eyes i’m pretty sure it’s just the perspective. I’ve just checked inside Zbrush and it’s pretty much one eye length between the eyes as well as from the corner of the eye to ears. Lower part of his pants needs to be tucked in and I’m working on that. It’s a bit more difficult to do then one might think :slight_smile: Will be posting some updates during the week or even tonight :slight_smile:

Cheers

look at the first picture I think the reference photography :smiley: its an amazing congr.

Sure, I hear you. But check this out. Again, I like the face, but the more I look at the eyes, the more “cartoonish” they get, being so wide and round :slight_smile:http://s13.postimg.org/a79wxio07/Eyes.jpg

hmmm I hear you… yeah I’ll try it and post it as soon as possible! It’s an easy fix so it shouldn’t be a problem

Yup, not a big change. Just try it out, you can always get back to the original face you had.

Looking forward to the update! :wink:

Great start!
I have to agree about the tshirt folds, doesnt look right unless you have hidden some extra gear he is wearing.
For the head, i dont think its in the realm of unrealism. i have seen plenty of people with oddly proportionat faces.

wow !!! great work dude !!!

Thanks Johnny and Reno! I agree with you… I too have seen my share of oddly proportionate faces. . I still have have a few props like backpack and a M60 gun in development.

Anyway I fixed the the hair on his arms and tweaked his eyes like Bananas suggested. I like both versions to be honest and either way I’m happy with it. By the way I also made a custom bandolier (hope I spelled it correctly) brush. I’m pretty sure that there was one in the repository but I just couldn’t find it. Hope it comes in handy :slight_smile:

Cheers guys!
Oh and more updates coming soon.

ZBrush02.jpg

The new look is much better in my opinion. Nicely done! :slight_smile:

Hey! Actually I’m still not happy I just did some horizontal flipping and the offset is still a bit too big vertically at least. Im doing some back and forth testing to resolve this issue. Will post another one soon.

edit* btw I really appreciate you and the other guys pointing this one out. It would have been a shame to let this one slide… Thanks man! Thanks to everyone!

Any time. That’s why people post on forums in the first place, right? To get some feedback and grow. And to get some attention :smiley:

It’s good that you’re still testing the look, but the eyes are much better than they were in the first post.
What I want to add regarding the “not standard” look of some faces, it’s true, there are some rather interesting looking people, but it doesn’t mean that you need to model them like that if there is no intention for it. If you’re trying to break from the generic big jaw muscle guy look, no need to go into extremes by adding some oddity to the face. It’s almost like modeling or sculpting a woman face for the first time. It’s actually harder to create soft and subtle forms and make them read as female features. That’s why some people would exaggerate the size of the lips or eyes. Same here, by careful placement of the features and proportions you can get a very natural looking face, no need to add something extra to it.

But that’s just me rambling… I’m pretty sure the eyes just came out like that on your model, there was no intention to make them look…strange in any way :slight_smile:

Exactly! Even so I still appreciate the fact that you and the other guys took the time and gave some constructive criticism! Totally agree about the subtle forms! It’s something I’m definitely trying to achieve in my work and yeah this eye thing just happened :slight_smile: I should have flipped the image in photoshop earlier :wink: Thanks again!

I appologize if I’m spamming but just realized that my render was done. Someone on CGHUB pointed out that the camo I was using wasn’t introduced until 1980s so I re did that as well. It’s amazing how much you can learn just by listening to people! Big thumbs up to that guy! Hopefully I got it right this time :slight_smile: