Default Twisted Horror (Creature from the Black Lagoon) - the creature's fear of water

Creature from the Black Lagoon: the creature's fear of water

I finally purchased Zbrush this past April, and this contest offered a great opportunity for me to practice making my first full character with the program. In my free time, I have been doing sketches and small projects to learn the tools. Watching videos and reading the documentation have helped a great deal so I was excited to put my new found skills into practice. In terms of my character selection, I have been Aquascaping and keeping a variety of fish for years. I think that's what drew me to Creature from the Black Lagoon. A few of my fish have been great inspiration and reference. I have been working on my own creature but am trying to pay tribute to the original design.

I used the mannequin to rough out a pose, and sketched over it for my concept.

For my entry, I am making the creature from the black lagoon. He is at a public pool, hesitant to enter the pool, given his fear of water. He has an inflatable duck and water wings to ease the transition into the water; to make him feel safe.

I have been sculpting traditionally for years, so my approach so far has been very basic; mainly using DynaMesh, the CurveTube brush, extracting, and ZRemesher. Also, I have employed see through for my reference. I spent a morning playing with ZRemesher. I love it, and I can't wait to become more familiar with it. For brushes, I have been using a lot of ClayBuildup, Dam_Standard, Move, TrimDynamic, and Inflat.

I have been learning a lot so far but I really need to start figuring out how to work with the lighting and rendering.

Thank you.

Kyle

I was looking at make the pool and this is what I got from some planes and Noise Maker. I not really sure how to approach the water at this time.

Kyle

New Member Follow User Gallery

Really nice work! Funny too!
    Best regards
    Greg Hurley

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default :)

Super clean forms and model. I love the concept as well. I'd love to see you play with the idea of making the ducky too small for his body. Maybe show how it's stretching and visibly too tiny to support him in the water. Just a thought. Keep it up, I can't wait to see the final.
    When you know what to do, you do what you know

Great start love the Inflatable Ducky! Want to give the Ol' Creature a big hug. Can't wait to see if he over comes his Water-aphobia good luck to you and him! Are you going to make a third gill on his head like how you made the spot for the gills but was wondering why just 2? Happy ZBrushing.

Thanks guys. I have added another level of detail and started playing around with some polypaint.

Seavannah- I tried a third gill on the head although you cant see it in the picture.
    x-titan- I like the idea of him not fitting the duck. I have made it smaller for now, and when I get him posed, I will play with it more.

Member Follow User Gallery

haha! Oh man this is great. Can't wait to see the final.

Haha much better Keep it up, it's really coming along, I can't wait to see it finished
    When you know what to do, you do what you know

Hahahaha love the rubber duckie!
    https://www.artstation.com/maximusin3d

"There is no tomorrow!"
    -Apollo Creed

Really clean sculpt... keep it up.. looking forward to see more......

nice concept I like the rubber duck!

very nice and clean, only thing i have to add is that the rubber duck could be a bit more shiny?? i always remember them type of things being made out of cheap shiny tacky plastic

Thanks Guys. I'm really glad you're liking it; everyone seems to enjoy the duck!

I'm getting through the painting. I was really happy with the results I was able to get from the mask from Noise Maker. I was growing and shrinking the mask; painting with browns and blues on layers, then blending with my base.

James Crabb - I've only been working on the painting so far. I'll start working on the materials soon.

Member Follow User Gallery

I like your character and the textures are great. Can't wait to see everything finish.
    - Remy Dupont -
    http://remydupont.com/

Thank you Artefact.

I'm trying to work out my pose. I made a mannequin of the creature to pose and play with. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast