ZBrushCentral

Export GoZ format and maintain crease settings

Is it possible to export the GoZ format and re-import it while maintaining crease settings? I’ve tested alot of file types and configurations, but I can’t seem to get keep the crease around upon import. I’m probably missing a setting somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it

May have found a workaround… I didn’t consider using Maya Ascii, but that seems to work! I’ll roll with that for now

maybe that workaround isn’t so good afterall. my creases are maintained, but I loose my polyGroups!! :confused:

This just got a lot harder. After running into issues correctly exporting .ma files after restarting zbrush, I came across this post

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?171719-Question-Export-script-doesn-t-work-Nothing-to-do-here-OBJ-exported-is-included-in&highlight=export+file+format

That explains the inconsistency in proper .ma exports. Forcing the user to export a tempFile first as MA via FileNameAsk isn’t ideal, but didn’t work anyway since the export dialog has it’s own setting.

I’m stuck again.

Not exactly. Are you using the code I posted for checking groups? If you examine the zscript text file you’ll see that exporting through a template uses a memory block. You can do the same thing for the Maya .ma file, except in that case just create the memory block by using [MemCreateFromFile] with the template. However, there’s a small gottcha. You need to add about 20 bytes of zeros at the end of the memory block (increasing its size to do so) otherwise for some reason ZBrush will write garbage at the end of the file and you may get an error when loading it:

[MemResize, Your_MemBlock, [MemGetSize, Your_MemBlock]+20, 0]

I think the Maya file is the only way to keep creases. There’s a downside in that polygroups are lost. If you know how Maya writes polygroups to an ascii .MA file let me know. I’d like to solve that one.

HTH,

Marcus saves the day again! I didn’t think to use the group split code for this, I guess I thought I could just export ma! I think I’ll add a switch to determine the weld mode (either preserve groups or creases).

Thanks again Marcus!

Brad