ZBrushCentral

Alex- Portrait of a Young Woman

Doing a realistic female portrait is always something that is on the top of my to-do list. Here is a WIP of the portrait converted into BW using Lightroom. Modeled & Textured in Zbrush , Hairs are fibremeshes converted into guide curves for Maya nHair . Rendering was done in Arnold. Which is really fast even working with hi polygon meshes. Since I have no plans for animation I didn’t use displacement and Arnold render it fast and efficient.

I use photograph like the one below as as visual target to match the lighting and shading… Details like peach fuzz are highly exaggerated but it works for me.

Here are some screenshots from Maya & Zbrush.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Mao

Attachments

compare.jpg

Mission accomplished!! Awesome amount of detail and realisticness!!

loooks good, nice work man

I thought the final render was another photograph you were using as reference, so I think you nailed it. Nice work!

That’s some impressive work. Almost thought the render was your photo reference.

Amazing work. She feels very natural.

Very nice work.:+1:

Thanks guys…that’s the best compliment if you can’t tell if its a photograph or not…check how it was a short journey.
Normally I took me months to get there. But somehow this was done in almost two weeks full time.
I pick up this headmodel after I left it for one year. Due to freelance work I didnt have time to do my own work.
Initially started as a brunette she slowly evolve into a blondine.

I save the steps so you guys can check out the progress from 2 weeks ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyReKwVq-Vk&feature=youtu.be

<iframe width=“640” height=“480” src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vyReKwVq-Vk" frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

She is really nice and well done!!!:+1: Pretty hairy face in the middle)))

this work is absolutely stunning!:+1:

Here is the fullcolor version , colorcorrected in Lightroom :

8.jpg

Lovely work. Deeper wrinkles on the lips and smoother lashes and this piece would have been near flawless. :+1:

Stuning work! The only critic is about the eye lashes, they are a bit cg incontrast to all the rest that is very realistic! Be proud, this is way too good man!

Amazing work man. Can you post a detailed howto for the skin ? Maps or shader , did you render it in ZBrush or max/maya ?Waiting for a response

beautiful face :slight_smile: a bit of a shame to have the final image with such grainy DOF… anywho, great job.

Thanks Magda, Your right about the low sampling in this render. Will render a better once I finish the model

Intervain
beautiful face a bit of a shame to have the final image with such grainy DOF… anywho, great job.

Agoansin
Amazing work man. Can you post a detailed howto for the skin ? Maps or shader , did you render it in ZBrush or max/maya ?Waiting for a response

@ Agoansin: I can post some texture maps later. THey all painted in Zbrush not much special or hires .They are 4K for the head. But for me it start more like an exercise didnt have optimal UV’s .

AndreHolzmeister

Stuning work! The only critic is about the eye lashes, they are a bit cg incontrast to all the rest that is very realistic! Be proud, this is way too good man!

@AndreHolzmeister : Your absolutely right. It i still fibremeshes. I need to upgrade and redo that part. Definately gonna update it.

kaisasose
Lovely work. Deeper wrinkles on the lips and smoother lashes and this piece would have been near flawless.

kaisasose : Good point , update a little bit the lips. Lashes and brow are still WIP.

Personally I’m not happy with the eyes yet. Its something that I heard a lot… Since eyes are the soul of a person it greatly affects the realism or your image.
So I did some clean up and re-sculpting around that area. The render below without hair might look less realistic. But I hope I can improve it later.

todo:

-peachfuzz little bit too long and not subtle enough
-eyebrow needs more refinement
-lashes convert to pfx/nhair
-texture tweaks

Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers,

Mao

9.jpg

Attachments

9.jpg

just perfect… awesome work… I wonder how you manage to handle the fibermesh… its really great details up there :slight_smile:

Amazing work…modelling, painting, texturing…all of it.

@ Thanks Alexander :slight_smile:

@nirmalendu_paul
just perfect… awesome work… I wonder how you manage to handle the fibermesh… its really great details up there :slight_smile:

Fibremesh is on of the best part of Zbrush.So I put a lot of effort to understand how it works . What you need for a proper hairsetup
is a good planning how you want to comb your model. Instead of splitting scalp in multiple patches as Jelmer Boskma did for his tutorial in http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/fibermesh/

1. I first start masking out the hairregion using masking tool and then grow fibremesh.
  2. Split the regions by using the masking tool (brush).
  3. in Polygroup tab > Group Masked which will split your selection in to polygroups.

4 . Use this groom tool to shape my hair ,My favorite grooming tool is the GroomFastLengthen it gives me great controle, it works like
a move tool and hairtrimmer at the same time.Holding SHIFt smooth and shorten your fibres , drag move will extend it.
Make sure your fibremesh have enough segments. 12 for short 36 for long hair is recommended.

move.jpg

But the biggest surprise for me was the basic move tool. Things can get warped when you deform too much. But that is not a problem for me since I only export NurbsCurves for maya. I eventually end up with more curves then I needed for maya. So I optimized it using preview setting and set it to 40% before hitting the export curve button.

fibre.jpg

The end result is something like this picture below.

hairs.jpg

makingof.jpg

Creating lashes in Maya

lashes.jpeg