Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default FINALIST: Twisted Horror (Nosferatu): Nosferatu, Lace Maker Extraordinaire

I've spent the past 6 months re-learning ZBrush after a very long hiatus. So much has changed with ZBrush since I last played with it. This challenge is the perfect excuse to jump back in and try out all the new features.

My challenge idea may be subtle, but it was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm going to trust my instinct and follow it. I choose Nosferatu (1922).

I have always wondered what would such a character do in his many, many solitary hours over the course of a few hundred years? He must have a hobby of some sort. His long, delicate fingers and finely chiseled nails must be adapt at more than dispatching his prey, or feeling the pulse of his victims as their life slowly poured from their veins and crossed his lips. There must exist some exercise of the mind to keep it sharp. There exist only rumors of course... that his nimble, ancient fingers have a more artistic pursuing. Like a spider weaving it's web, Nosferatu, pulls his own fine threads into patterns and designs. It is said the knotted tapestry of laced twine reveals the story of his life. He has had a very long life. The unwound creation tumbles far into the night. From his moon-lit window, surrounded by crumbling castle walls and long dead, creeping vines, sits Nosferatu, Lace Maker Extraordinaire.

First thing I have done is watch the film. I wanted to look for any details and props I could incorporate. I screen captured a lot of frames to create my reference sheets. I few of the things I hope to utilize in this challenge are: ZBrush zSpheres, Dynamesh, Insert mesh brushes (creating my own), recording zBrush movies as I go, Fiber mesh, clothing sculpt, Polypainting, Noise Maker, and ZBrush lighting and rendering. And of course, finishing before the deadline.
    www.howtohauntyourhouse.com
    www.rabbitholeproductions.com
    The Fates lead those who will follow willingly. Those who don't, they drag...

Default Reference Sheet: Lace making

Here is the first reference sheet on lace making.

I think its an interesting idea! I'll be interested in how you end up handling all that lace?

Thanks! I hope to incorporate some of the other characters into the lace. Crazy, I know. I want it to sort of roll out the window into some dead vines. Nosferatu would be supernaturally fast at making lace, so there would be a lot of it. Not sure yet, what method I will use to create it in ZBrush.

Default Castle walls and vines reference sheet

Here is my castle wall and vines reference sheet:

OK, started with the simplest things to model to get back into practice: the castle wall around the window. First the stone blocks and the smaller stones that can fill in spots. I watched ZBrush video tutorial, Environments with Tate Mosesian several times before starting. Thought I might use the collection as a stonework insert brush. For the life of me haven't been able to carry of the textures/polypaint part to the insert brush, just the models. That worked great. Now have 3 different sets of stones as tools which are textured.

Default Videos - stone modeling and texturing - WIP

Here are some attempts and recording my WIP: ORGANIC STONE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he9lq...hvetBGnnbM1Z-g
    and stone texturing and castle block stones from modeling start to texturing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB232...hvetBGnnbM1Z-g

Default Vine Experiment

Using the free Rope Insert Mesh Brush from BadKing, I then distressed the mesh using Dam_Standard (Zadd). Then to get some quick thorns I used Snakehook brush. After recording the whole process ZB crashed and I lost the recording on this one, but will try again.

Default Nosferatu, Lace Maker Extraordinaire - concept

Really like the addition of a moth. Lets Nosferatu look up and adds a whole symbolic layer to the story. In the room behind I want to add the skeleton clock from the movie.

Default Wall/Window Set pieces started

I have never created a set in ZB. I'm sure I'm not doing things in the best way or the fastest, but I am learning a lot here. Here are the start of my room pieces.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LynneMitchell View Post
    I have never created a set in ZB. I'm sure I'm not doing things in the best way or the fastest, but I am learning a lot here. Here are the start of my room pieces.
    Hey its looking good so far..one suggestion if you reduce the size of the bricks(ignore if its intentional ;P) and add more of them then the model would look more real and detailed.reduce it by half..But yeah great job so far ..keep it up

Amazing start. How many subtools are you dealing with? Once you start adding the lace this will turn epic. Great work.

Default Thanks!

gkhopatk (reduce bricks to half size) - I will certainly give this a try!

Denture Cream (How many subtools?) 28 subtools so far and barely begun. I'm nearly at 5 mil polys with this group. Honestly, I'm not sure how to create a scene with dozens of items all highly detailed and make it all work in the end. I'm guessing I render out foreground, mid, and back, then composite in Photoshop. No matter how many tutorials I've watched in the past 6 months I get lost frequently once inside ZB. It has so many tools and ways to do things. This challenge is just forcing me to finally try to get something going again! I know I will enjoy this process much more in a year when I know my way around.

New Member Follow User Gallery

hahaha great idea and the window looks great
    Neguikun

thats pretty good clean work. cool looking set you've begun. I also use BadKing's rope magic. its a nice solution. good luck

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast