New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Filling/Creating Holes in Sculptris, Redo and Delete Geometry

Hi,

I'm starting to get into Sculptris and finding it to be a very powerful and expressive tool to work with. I love the automatic tesselation that happens as you work.

I think adding redo in addition to undo would be a big help.

I am wondering about holes in Sculptris. It seems like holes cannot be created or destroyed - ie there's no way to turn a sphere into a torus and back again. Is that true? There also doesn't seem to be a way to join non-local geometry together - start with a small sphere and draw out from it to make a ring, there's no way to get the end of the ring to attach back to the original sphere. These would be great additions to the tool, in my opinion.

Finally, I would love to see a way to just delete geometry. I work with 3D scans a lot and there is often noise and other junk in the model. It would be great to be able to use Sculptris as a one-stop tool to clean up and fix a model. Currently I have to remove all the junk in another 3D modelling software before bringing into Sculptris.

Keep up the great work!

Clay Budin
    NYC

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

What software are you currently using?

I also work a lot with scan data, I started with Sculptris as it was great. However there are some minor tools and options that should be standard in all 3D modeling software (in my opinion) that are just completely missing from Sculptris. It's a great tool, but it's so close and yet so far. Its development and future appears completely non-existent, no updates, no communication, nothing from anyone involved for years now.

Since Pixologic has taken over (and still only released an alpha or beta version, no full release yet) other tools and software in the industry have caught up and even passed Sculptris and its abilities. It's a great tool, but it needs some polish. It's sad but nobody seems to care about it. It's got some great potential.

Default removing noise&junk

Hi there guys! Could anyone prompt what is the best way to get rid arrays of shallow noise connected and isolated to main topology in terms to prepare it for 3D print?
    Thanks for advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	497 
Size:	366.1 KB 
ID:	436406  

Member Follow User Gallery

It seems like holes cannot be created or destroyed
    The only possible way to work with holes in Sculptris is to pre-plan for it as a work-around.

Using a CAD program that can export OBJ files, create the approximate shape you were going to sculpt. Punch out all the holes you'll need. Export this as an OBJ mesh.

When Sculptris imports this OBJ mesh, use the various sculpting tools to move and massage the pre-made hole to the desired location.

New Member Follow User Gallery

There no any holes that I have to repair. I wanna delete noise. That it. Is there no tools or utilities in Zbrush to do it? If so, I would frustraited about Pixologic.

klinkov this is the sculptris forum, sculptris is another software than zbrush.

But from what I can see, you should select the main shape (that hopefully is in one block) invert the selection to select all the garbage, and delete it. that would be a start.

A solution in zbrush that i know for close difficult holes is:
    To set the model in a highresolution Dynamesh modus. Then with the Inflate or better the InflateSoft -Brush the parts around the holes to sculpt closer together. And then as next step make the mesh-refreshing with Ctrl+Canavas -mousemove (refreshing in Dynameshmodus at the mesh).
    So you can close all, really all difficult holes perfect together.
    Many holes many more work with this trick. But is works.