ZBrushCentral

Velociraptor Skeleton 4 printing

Hi Zbrushers!

Here is a piece that I did this week to be 3D printed for a display at the upcoming TCT show in the UK.
It will be printed life size - around 5 foot for this one!

Propshop at Pinewood Studios owns three of the second largest printers in the world (Voxeljet).
The print size is about 1m x half a meter.

The velociraptor skeleton will be printed over a weekend and mounted on a steel rig before the finishing colour treatment.

I have tried to make it as accurate as I could in the short modelling time that I had. Using model and photo reference.

I will post photos of the process as it unfolds. Thank you for your time

Regards, Jet

Raptor.173.jpgRaptor.165.jpgRaptor.169.jpgRaptor.172.jpgRaptor_Thumb.jpg

Attachments

Raptor.165.jpg

Raptor.169.jpg

Raptor.172.jpg

Raptor.173.jpg

cool model. Can’t wait to see the printed version

Indeed, very impressive. :slight_smile:

Excellentjob !!!

Regards kecaj

Really beautiful work!!!

Hi there,

Here are the 3D prints so far - before the final touches. The little one is three foot with the larger one at five foot… Print time was about 22 hours on Propshops Voxeljet printers.
I will post the final finish in the next week.

Regards, Jet

Raptor Print3.JPGRaptor Print4.JPGRaptor Print 1.JPGRaptor Print5.JPGRaptor Print2.JPG

Attachments

Raptor Print 1.JPG

Raptor Print3.JPG

Raptor Print4.JPG

Raptor Print5.JPG

amazing. I want one! :slight_smile:

Sick! Love the sculpt, makes me want to do one :slight_smile:

Here is the painted finish… I will post proper photo of the display in the next day… 8 )

Regards, Jet

Raptor Final Print Painted.JPG

Attachments

Raptor Final Print Painted.JPG

Congratulations, i’d like to explore the 3D printing first or then with one of my intricated works…how did it cost ?

Great job! I very like, when virtual models come real, I’m impressed :)!

Congratulations!It’s looking really impressing!

WOW…Fantastic…:+1:…Best thing that i’ve seen printed out from digital yet…Big Congrats :+1:…Thanks for sharing it in this forum :+1:…Amazing what this new technoligy can do.:slight_smile:

:)Glenn

Very cool!:+1:

Here is the final posting on this piece. Photographed at London TCT show for 3D Printing.

Thanks for checking it out.

And questions feel free to ask. I wanted to post this as it is a large 3D print and I wanted to show a sample of how big you can go.

Kind regards, Jet

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.jpg

Attachments

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.jpg

that is absolutely stunning! How much would a project like that cost to print? And did you have to print each bone individually or were you able to print larger chunks at once?

It’s a whole new world for museums and the movie prop industry! Stunning example. Can’t wait to see more!

very cool stuff! :+1:

Hi mate 8 )

I am not sure of the cost, as it was an internal project. The cost is calculated on a number of things. Depth of the model - our team cut it up and or position the model to decrease the depth thus reducing print time and costs. Thickness requested - ie. more material cost for solid prints, the PMMA powder is strong so we usually shell the model to 3mm and impregnate the print with Epoxy to add strength. Prints are sometimes metal plated to increase strength like we did with Thor’s Hammer in the new Darkworld movie.

To answer your question - the parts were printed in large pieces to suit the build and reduce post assembly. Skull - Neck vertebrae - Spine+Pelvis+Ribs - Arms+hands - Legs+Feet - Tail.

If you ever wanted a quote - contact Propshop Modelmakers and ask for Amanda - amanda@propshop-uk.com - quotes are free.
Our Voxeljet machines (we have 3) are cost effective because of their speed/ large build area/ whatever powder is used to support the print is recycled so there is no waste. The print area is 1 meter x 1 meter x 600 mm!

Regards, Jet 8 ))
ThanX for your time and question.

Hi I LOVE your design of this raptor skeleton and i was wondering if you could put a link so I could download it? Or please just add it on thingiverse.com so I can make one PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! your awesome!! :sunglasses: