New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Weird paint mode discovery

I have an iMac, partitioned to run Windows XP.

Was in regular Mac mode and doing fine in Sculptris until I saved as an object. Slow doesn't even begin to describe my sculpting experience after that. Worked around it by creating a scene save instead. Then it happens again in paint mode and there's no working around that.

Did some research. Found someone who has a Mac and PC who stated they were having the same issues on their Mac, but not on their PC.

So I logged on to my Xp partitioned, downloaded Sculptris again, and NONE of the issues are present. Works flawlessly.

Thoughts? I was very surprised considering Mac is the "designer" of two.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

"Mac is the 'designer' of two"... what. Partitions? Both Operative Systems? Sculptris versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Serek View Post
    "Mac is the 'designer' of two"... what. Partitions? Both Operative Systems? Sculptris versions?
    If you're not sure what a partition is, you probably can't help. But thank you anyway.

Default re

Sculptris runs in DirectX9 (Microsoft) I believe, like a game engine, and makes heavy use of your graphics card. That's why performance issues vary from system to system. When it first came out, I only had an old Dell D600 laptop with a 128mb Mobility Radeon card. I had to run the Mobility Modder on the card to get 256 memory and updated drivers, but I was able to run Sculptris up to about 200k tris ....
    Since then I've been through 3 machines, this last is a Walmart Hp Laptop with a 6300HD card, was able to take it to about a million and a half ...
    As far as Paint Mode, This is where your Graphics card works hardest. While your working in 3D, to the machine it's all 2d in layers. your Color is a Layer, Bump is a Layer, Each Material creates a new Layer, Mask is a Layer bla bla bla. Each is in some raw format until saved, so 21 MB per Layer for 2048 texture. Plus all your Image texture brushes and Alpha Mask brushes are saved into Memory and Your Material Library ..... So it really depends on your Graphics Ram, and how fast your chip can run a 32-bit program ...

Quote Originally Posted by Abevem View Post
    If you're not sure what a partition is, you probably can't help. But thank you anyway.
    Me doesn't can't understanding subjects very complex.

C'mon, it's your grammar what I can barely understand and that's why I can't help you. 'Mac is the designer of two' means nothing, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by justadeletedguy View Post
    Sculptris runs in DirectX9 (Microsoft) I believe, like a game engine, and makes heavy use of your graphics card. That's why performance issues vary from system to system. When it first came out, I only had an old Dell D600 laptop with a 128mb Mobility Radeon card. I had to run the Mobility Modder on the card to get 256 memory and updated drivers, but I was able to run Sculptris up to about 200k tris ....
    Since then I've been through 3 machines, this last is a Walmart Hp Laptop with a 6300HD card, was able to take it to about a million and a half ...
    As far as Paint Mode, This is where your Graphics card works hardest. While your working in 3D, to the machine it's all 2d in layers. your Color is a Layer, Bump is a Layer, Each Material creates a new Layer, Mask is a Layer bla bla bla. Each is in some raw format until saved, so 21 MB per Layer for 2048 texture. Plus all your Image texture brushes and Alpha Mask brushes are saved into Memory and Your Material Library ..... So it really depends on your Graphics Ram, and how fast your chip can run a 32-bit program ...

Thank you for the information as this will come in handy when it's time for a new purchase, but it doesn't quite answer my question as I am on the same machine, using the same graphics card.

On the Mac side, Sculptris bogs down in object save or paint mode. On the XP partition, it runs flawlessly.

I had partitioned the Mac because I still had lots of software from my previous Xp, but I never thought I would need it for design purposes... that's the whole point of a Mac. Even at Rhode Island School of Design, they only have Macs and they teach Zbrush and design software of the like.