Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Wacom Unveils New Cintiq Companion - Mobile Tablet PC

http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/en/

A bit pricey, but coming from Wacom not too surprising. I'm hoping it will be able to run Zbrush smoothly.

Default what do you think about the express keys?

I wonder if the express keys + touch ring are enough to use zbrush without keyboard and without artdock (hotkey plugin for tablets)?

ctrl, shift, alt, space are the most important keys for zbrush, but additional keys will make life much easier; I have the impression that the wacom express keys won´t provide the arsenal that you need for relaxed sculpting.

I would like to hear your opinion about this question!

The normal human body is not equipped with enough appendages to use ZBrush rapidly. About 4 arms would be good. One for tablet, mouse, keyboard and coffee would be good

Michael, that is exactly what I am wondering and the main reason I never bought a Surface Pro for ZB. I guess the real question is if others have been able to use the current Cintiq 13" sans keyboard by relying on the express keys and wheel. From what I can tell they layout on the Companion is pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchfx View Post
    I guess the real question is if others have been able to use the current Cintiq 13" sans keyboard by relying on the express keys and wheel. From what I can tell they layout on the Companion is pretty much the same.
    I agree - are there any cintiq 13" zbrush users, who can share their experiences?

thanks in advance!

Unless Wacom (Pixologic?) has fixed some major issues with the radial menu I can't see this working without extra input (keyboard).

I decided to register to contribute to this thread. I have used zbrush a bit in the past and would like to get back into it. This product seems pretty well suitued. You can see a video here of the potential as demonstrated on the 24 inch version. However I think the integration of touch is heavily dependent on the pixologic developers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWO3YtppM4U

Also the tablet has slightly dated hardware but its still a ulv i7 with 256gb ssd and 8gb of ram so it should do quite well, what are your thoughts as some of you would have more experience with this than I would. What do you guys think zbrush will run like on these specs? The graphics are integrated which is unfortunate.

Also watch the videos demonstrating the shortcuts that can be done with touch now. Hopefully it will benefit the zbrush work flow and help get stuff done without a keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelwizard View Post
    What do you guys think zbrush will run like on these specs? The graphics are integrated which is unfortunate. .
    zbrush will run very well with these specs - the good point about zbrush in comparison with i.e. mudbox is that zbrush doesn´t require a strong gpu, the calculations are done on the cpu, due to zbrush´s unique pixol-tech.

the question is - as pointed out above - if the useablity (in terms of hotkeys and whatever features wacom and pixo will provide) will live up to the price; because it doesn´t make any sense to have a tablet that requires a keyboard to use it for sculpting...

i've used zbrush for about 10yrs and for the last 6 i never use the keyboard, if i need to name subtools or enter numerical values i use the standard Windows On-Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) which is attatched to a express key. i would guess that it probably has a touchscreen keyboard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy412 View Post
    i've used zbrush for about 10yrs and for the last 6 i never use the keyboard, if i need to name subtools or enter numerical values i use the standard Windows On-Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) which is attatched to a express key. i would guess that it probably has a touchscreen keyboard as well.

That's nice but what hardware are you running on? It's not just about naming subtools and entering numerical values.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMaehring View Post
    zbrush will run very well with these specs - the good point about zbrush in comparison with i.e. mudbox is that zbrush doesn´t require a strong gpu, the calculations are done on the cpu, due to zbrush´s unique pixol-tech.

the question is - as pointed out above - if the useablity (in terms of hotkeys and whatever features wacom and pixo will provide) will live up to the price; because it doesn´t make any sense to have a tablet that requires a keyboard to use it for sculpting...

Thats very good to know about the whole GPU thing, that was my only concern with getting this product.

as for everyone else's concerns...

Keyboard:
    it supports Bluetooth keyboards so can always use it in conjunction with hot keys. Sure this makes it no different than a few other devices with Wacom pen driver support and keyboard like a surface pro or touch screen laptop. But I've tried surface pro and it just doesn't meet usability needs like a cintiq (just feels like a cheap pen sliding around undesirably on glass)

Screen:
    One of my co-workers who is an avid zbrush user says a 13" screen will work fine for zbrush. He's been using the smaller and much older 12wx cintiq for years and says he finds it comfortable to use.

Benifits of getting one:
    In my opinion having a mobile studio is a dream come true. I've been waiting a long time for a device like this and simply can't wait to be able to do things like do zbrush on the couch. Or even go to the park for an hour, or better still... Take it to a life drawing class and sculpt from real life.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy412 View Post
    @spaceboy412,

What version of the Cintiq do you have? I have the older (gray) model and one thing nice about it is how 4 of the express keys are nested in a little gang so you can easily press more than one at a time with your thumb. Great for combos like shft+alt, ctrl+alt, shft+ctrl+alt, etc. which are essential for zbrush. Unfortunately the Companion has all 4 express keys spread so far apart it's virtually impossible to hold down more than one while gripping in your hands.

I was wondering how you have all your express keys and such mapped to help accommodate "keyboard-less" workflow.

Thanks,
    m

After having my new Cintiq Companion (Windows 256gb version) for a couple of days
    here are some initial thoughts on where it can be improved.

1) Placement and number of Express/Rocker buttons.

As a heavy Zbrush user this has been my biggest disappointment so far. The buttons are too spread apart and laid
    in such a manner that initiating any kind of combination key presses is
    virtually impossible. Ctl+Alt, Ctl+Shift, Ctl+Alt+Shift...etc. A gang of buttons
    arranged in a staggered fashion like on my 2nd gen Cintiq at home would be IDEAL
    for this. With it you can easily roll your thumb around on the buttons and get
    any of those combos. Better yet would be a set of flush buttons on the
    underside where your fingers rest when gripping the tablet in your hand with
    thumb in front. Also, there should be a way to remap the Windows key that rests
    in the "crown jewel" position in the radial button which makes it way too easy
    to accidentally hit. Aside from Zbrush a lot of apps such as Photoshop often
    call for multi key combos for certain actions.

2) The Stand.

The included stand, which perfectly fine for the intended function of propping up
    the Companion, is way to cumbersome to attach to the tablet and set up. I find
    myself having to hold the Companion with the rear facing me and cradling it in
    my lap as I work out the exact right angle to get the lower tab to fit into the
    slot. The process takes a good 30 seconds or more on a good day and more in a
    dark room or before my morning coffee. You should design an improved version
    that will work with the existing Companion that will allow you to simply PLACE
    the tablet onto it without all the rig-a-ma-roe.

3) Odor

This product wins the award for the strongest and most unpleasant plastic aroma out
    of any electronic I've ever purchased. Upon unboxing my wife proclaimed it to be
    banished from the bedroom and many other sections of our house until the stench
    has faded. 3 Days later and I'm still waiting for it to mellow!

Overall I really like the Companion in terms of build, look, speed and display quality. It
    feels really sturdy and gets plenty of "ooohs and ahhhs" from everyone at the
    office who sees it. The tablet and stylus aspect are up to the usual Wacom
    standards of excellence especially once I put the felt tip into the included Pro
    Grip pen. However, the layout of the hardware buttons is absolutely maddening
    and basically amputates the intended function of my Dream Machine...a full
    fledged professional art creation station on-the-go. Right now I cannot see
    using it without a keyboard attached due to the Express Key configuration. It
    may end up being the deal breaker that causes me to return this otherwise
    beautiful device.

mitchfx, thanks for your in depth review!

Wacom should have asked mudbox and zbrush artists, what they need - it seems that wacom´s R+D-department is unaware of the fact that there is more than photoshop in the world of computergraphics; and what I heard and read about the device, it seems that even photoshop isn´t as easy to handle as it could have been.

in my view, that´s a missed opportunity - and to be honest, it fits wacom´s image quite well.

still, artdock might help to make the companion work for sculpting artists

I'm hoping to post a more in-depth review along with a possible video in the near future. The main reason I waited for the Companion (and paid the extra $$) instead of getting a Surface Pro or Samsung Slate was because I didn't want to have to use something like ArtDock in order to use my favorite apps. Wacom includes it's own on screen key menu which I have not fiddled with yet. Maybe I can use that in conjunction with the express keys to work out a usable solution. Currently I'm experimenting with setting the UPPER rocker switch on the pen to SHIFT and the two lower express key buttons to CTL & ALT. I found that if you hold your thumb in just the right spot you can mash them both and initiate a CTL+ALT. Add the shift key via the pen and about 80% of Zbrush functionality is possible, albeit not very ergonomic.

The other option I've been toying with is setting the 4 way rocker switch to evoke various key combos. Down is Shift, left is Ctl+Alt+Shift, right is Ctl+Shift. Works pretty well but of course you lose 3 buttons that could be useful assigned to other things.

I've attached an image of the buttons from the old Cintiqs from a few years ago. THIS would have been PERFECT for the Companion and solved most the issues of working without a keyboard. Not sure why they chose to move away from this setup in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMaehring View Post
    mitchfx, thanks for your in depth review!

Wacom should have asked mudbox and zbrush artists, what they need - it seems that wacom´s R+D-department is unaware of the fact that there is more than photoshop in the world of computergraphics; and what I heard and read about the device, it seems that even photoshop isn´t as easy to handle as it could have been.

in my view, that´s a missed opportunity - and to be honest, it fits wacom´s image quite well.

still, artdock might help to make the companion work for sculpting artists

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast